Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander can’t rwlly have a plan other than going public with a trade request. Doesn’t have much power and if he’s not being offered what he thinks he’s worth then good on him for not giving in

Alright, so will he just get 0 and lose a very important year at age 22?
This is not looking smart. Especially if he indeed is asking for 8 million per+

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Alright, so will he just get 0 and lose a very important year at age 22?
This is not looking smart. Especially if he indeed is asking for 8 million per+

We’ll see what happens. I’m gonna bet in the end nylander gets his way

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I find it funny that Dubas thinks his nerd tactics are working and he’s just going to out wait nylander.

Going great so far!
It is going great. The Leafs are scoring at an absurd rate. Nylander is just a luxury that the Leafs don't really need at the moment. Every time the Leafs score a goal, Nylander's value to the organisation drops just a bit more. And that's including Kadri and Marleau being a little cold to start the season.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It is going great. The Leafs are scoring at an absurd rate. Nylander is just a luxury that the Leafs don't really need at the moment. Every time the Leafs score a goal, Nylander's value to the organisation drops just a bit more. And that's including Kadri and Marleau being a little cold to start the season.

Ok so then he’ll get traded and paid. Win win for him

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This.
It's looking like a disaster for Nylander.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
The Ducks aren't going to open up a massive hole on their blue line now because of a potential expansion two years from now. You're reaching for reasons for a team to move with a player they absolutely cannot part with. They kept their best 5 Dmen through the last expansion, and aren't about to make a panic move two years prior, that's silly talk.

I'm not exaggerating when I say Luke Schenn currently is the 5th best D on the Ducks and he's definitely the #3 RHD on the depth chart. No GM or person in their right mind would like Nylander enough to move Manson and replace him with Schenn (or Hainsey so don't even try). On top of that, Nylander apparently wants nearly double Manson's salary....I think we'll go ahead and just keep our current top 4 having already moved two top 4 D just last season.

If we are to believe Eklund that the Ducks are even making an offer I can only

see that involving multiple assets (Silfverberg + D prospect + )

Clearly you did not read my post, Read it again, Never said anyone was going to do anything based on the upcoming expansion draft. I said the draft is something all teams are going to have to be cognizant of in all moves they make from now to then.

Last edited:

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Using high end estimates at this time

Matthews 12
Marner 10

That leaves just under 6M for Nylander - hence why they are being so hard on the number. However if they are able to get these guys for a bit less, then it gets even easier. Giving Marner 9 means Nylander can have the 6.5 easily.

Cant see how Marner can get the same or higher than Kucherov. No way.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
This ratio, well the Leafs would spend all on forwards, while the othes did not for some reasons.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Who is someone that Leafs fans are targeting in a trade for Nylander? Like who is someone that yall have your eyes on? (Not from the Stars we've been through this)

Jaccob Slavin
Colton Parayko
Jacob Trouba
Matt Dumba

Those are just a few names, obviously depends on the fit for other teams but that's something the Leafs would be looking towards.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jaccob Slavin
Colton Parayko
Jacob Trouba
Matt Dumba

Those are just a few names, obviously depends on the fit for other teams but that's something the Leafs would be looking towards.

Absolutely no chance. Less than zero.
a) He's not available
b) And in the sense that "everyone is available", the Canes wouldn't move him for Nylander.

Reactions: Kcb12345

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Interesting. LeBrun says a western conference GM texted him yesterday and said "Kyle Dubas is not trading him."

On the slip side, he says he believes "part of the concern from Nylander and his camp is being traded as soon as he signs." So, LeBrun and Mike Johnson suggest if he signed for a discount in Toronto, he becomes a much more attractive trade chip to other teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/western-co...aren-t-interested-in-trading-nylander~1510303

Maybe, just maybe, this isn't all about $$$ after all.

Have told this for a while now! The first warning flag for camp Nylander was the Tavares signing, made Nylander less important for the team. Even if Dubas says he will keep all of the kids, the math says otherwise.
Drai are perhaps a bit overpaid right now, but overpaying him sends the right signals to a player who hasnt any rights to a nmc etc.

Lowballing W.N longterm only make him more valuable at a trade, overpay him a bit shows him that he are a big part of the team going forward.

No guarantee that hes not traded in the future either, but a overpayment now make him less valuable in a trade.
Mckenzie said to day that they should starting to discuss a bridge when they seems so far away each other, not the best option for the team or Nylander, but no one seems to cave discussing longterm.

Reactions: powerstuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Clearly you did not read my post, Read it again, Never said anyone was going to do anything based on the upcoming expansion draft. I said the draft is something all teams are going to have to be cognisant of in all moves they make from now to then.

No I read it, and then I disagreed with it. You specifically brought up the Ducks and how they would handle an upcoming expansion draft and I'm saying it's way too early for that to be relevant at all in this discussion.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
yup but then many of my fellow Leafs want a star value return for him even though they've done nothing but **** on him for months

That's a problem I honestly have thru these 7 threads.

Nylander isn't worth 7M (I honestly think he is in today's market) but if he's being traded, the other team needs absolutely to add to whatever perfect fit TOP4 RHD you guys could get back because it seems such defender that has equal or close value to Nylanders doesn't exist.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
yup but then many of my fellow Leafs want a star value return for him even though they've done nothing but **** on him for months

People have been shitting on him for not signing and apparently holding out, not because they think that he isn’t a great player.

Also it hasn’t even been 1 month of shitting on him. It didn’t really ramp up until last week Monday when it became apparent that Nylander would be missing regular season games.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jaccob Slavin
Colton Parayko
Jacob Trouba
Matt Dumba

this is a bit of the issue I see with a Nylander trade. Which team has a readily available top pairing D (specifically RHD, probably the most coveted position other than 1c) making 5-6M for term (sans Trouba obviously, but that's a whole other issue lol) for a Winger/maybe C seeking 8M+.

Not only that, how much can the Leafs realistically absorb as a cap hit for a top pairing Dman? Let's say Trouba is willing to extend in Canada, can the Leafs afford him at 7M long term?

Not criticizing you/your post or the examples listed, just theorizing who'd be an adept trade partner.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Interesting. LeBrun says a western conference GM texted him yesterday and said "Kyle Dubas is not trading him."

On the slip side, he says he believes "part of the concern from Nylander and his camp is being traded as soon as he signs." So, LeBrun and Mike Johnson suggest if he signed for a discount in Toronto, he becomes a much more attractive trade chip to other teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/western-co...aren-t-interested-in-trading-nylander~1510303

Maybe, just maybe, this isn't all about $$$ after all.

I guess he isn't eligible for full NMC/NTC ?

I can understand him tho. I suppose leafs don't want a 5 year bridge because that brings him straight into free agency on next contract. If he signs for 6M or even less, he's a very good and easily trade-able asset...so great for the team, but sucks for a player that does want to be part of TML.

Reactions: McClelland

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People have been ****ting on him for not signing and apparently holding out, not because they think that he isn’t a great player.

Also it hasn’t even been 1 month of ****ting on him. It didn’t really ramp up until last week Monday when it became apparent that Nylander would be missing regular season games.
if they thought he was a great player or will become one they wouldn't be saying he's only worth what Ehlers signed for

and they've been crapping on him since the start of camp and a few people before then

AdvelPill

May 8, 2016
I find it funny that Dubas thinks his nerd tactics are working and he’s just going to out wait nylander.

Going great so far!

It's funny that you think you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't. Leafs and Dubas hold all the cards right now.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander has made a horrific miscalculation. He can't win this. He can't lose a year at age 22 and make 0.

There is no scenario where he loses a year and makes zero.

That's not even one of the options. If he ultimately doesn't sign with the Maple Leafs or get traded, he will play in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad