Speculation: Nylander VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Why do fans keep adding Marincin to proposals? Is it because Leafs would need to clear a contract? He has no value for the Canes, who have Slavin, de Hann and Fleury on the LHD side at the NHL level and Bean, Cajkowski, and Carrick at the AHL level as LHD as well.

They could also waive him, but i thought it's just an extra body for the Canes after losing a defenseman, and to let the young guys play in the minors for another year. Not really important, just something i throw in there to make the deal work, could also do something else.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's a silly way to look at it. Making moves out of spite has no benefit to the Leafs.

If a good trade comes around? Trade him.
If he wants to sign for a reasonable amount? Sign him.
If there are no good trades, and he won't settle for a reasonable amount? Let him sit.

It isn't acting like a spoiled brat. He is doing what he thinks is best for his career, and Leafs doing whats best for the team. No one needs to be the bad guy.

It's not even Nylander negotiating this thing, it's an agent who has his own incentives on top of that. Oddly enough there seems to be a huge overlap between the "only the eye test matters, stats are fake" crowd and the "TRADE THAT SELFISH DIVA!!!" crowd, I wonder what the common denominator is.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They're not trading him in all likelihood, from 31 thoughts:

9. Chicago and Pittsburgh alleviated cap stress with five-year second contracts for Crosby, Kane, Malkin and Toews. It’s unlikely Toronto would want that term for Nylander, since it takes him right to free agency. Maybe six is the answer. I do believe they’ve looked at something in the three- or four-year range, but the gap remains. The other issue is that I don’t see many easy trades, if Toronto ever decides to go that route. Monetary differences aside, they like the player. A lot.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
They're not trading him in all likelihood, from 31 thoughts:
Makes sense, really. As time drags on and it's clear that the team can produce a very large number of goals without him, the pressure to sign gets heavier and heavier on the player, not the team.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Makes sense, really. As time drags on and it's clear that the team can produce a very large number of goals without him, the pressure to sign gets heavier and heavier on the player, not the team.

Exactly. He won't have the best value, so the only way IMO he's dealt is if he doesn't sign by december 1st and they move on next summer. but that's a doomsday scenario that's still a while away.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I asked this before but got no answer. Does anyone know how long this can go on for? Does Toronto own his rights indefinitely? With no deal ever taking place can Nylander ever sign with a different team for the money he wants if he gets offer sheeted. Or with no offersheet can the Leafs sit back and say “6 mil. Sign it or stay out forever, we don’t care”

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why do fans keep adding Marincin to proposals? Is it because Leafs would need to clear a contract? He has no value for the Canes, who have Slavin, de Hann and Fleury on the LHD side at the NHL level and Bean, Cajkowski, and Carrick at the AHL level as LHD as well.
Nope Leafs have the 2nd most open contract spots in the league so to answer your question....I have no idea.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I asked this before but got no answer. Does anyone know how long this can go on for? Does Toronto own his rights indefinitely? With no deal ever taking place can Nylander ever sign with a different team for the money he wants if he gets offer sheeted. Or with no offersheet can the Leafs sit back and say “6 mil. Sign it or stay out forever, we don’t care”

The Leafs can sign him until December 1st and have him still eligible to play this year. I believe if he refuses to sign, the Leafs hold his rights for another 4 years (Age 27 or 7 years played in the League). I'm not an expert on the CBA, so I think if the worst case scenario came about and they couldn't agree on a deal he is sitting out until 2022-2023 where he would become an unrestricted free agent.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nylander has made a horrific miscalculation. He can't win this. He can't lose a year at age 22 and make 0.

He would be right there with the scoring leaders riding Auston's wing.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

They own his rights until he reaches ufa which would be 2023. He is eligible to sign an offersheet right now, until december 1st. That is the deadline for him to either sign with the leafs or another team (though I believe the offersheet rules make it november 23rd at 11:59 the deadline to sign, for the team has 7 days to make a decision). If he is unsigned by December 1st, he cannot play in the NHL this season, and doesn't accrue a season of RFA status, meaning his arbitration gets pushed back a year.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The Leafs can sign him until December 1st and have him still eligible to play this year. I believe if he refuses to sign, the Leafs hold his rights for another 4 years (Age 27 or 7 years played in the League). I'm not an expert on the CBA, so I think if the worst case scenario came about and they couldn't agree on a deal he is sitting out until 2022-2023 where he would become an unrestricted free agent.

he isn't sitting out 4 years, he'd just be traded since it's wasted asset at that point.

Reactions: McClelland

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Thanks. Wow, the Leafs certainly are in the drivers seat if this is the case, unless a team sweeps in with an offer sheet. They can set the number and so long as they keep winning, force him to come down to them.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
he isn't sitting out 4 years, he'd just be traded since it's wasted asset at that point.

Yeah but he’s a wasted asset that isn’t being paid and isn’t hurting them in any way by playing for another team. It’s like he doesn’t exist

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah but he’s a wasted asset that isn’t being paid and isn’t hurting them in any way by playing for another team. It’s like he doesn’t exist

going by historical precedent with peca and lindros, he'd just be dealt next summer

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
going by historical precedent with peca and lindros, he'd just be dealt next summer
You’re right. Which makes him a decent asset for the Leafs even though he’s not even playing. With their offence absolutely killing it, Dubas is winning this battle hands down right now. No pressure whatsoever on him. Nylander gonna see that cash emptying out of his bank account and losing out on a year where he could control
Things

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'd have two ideal targets.

Manson from the Ducks
Pesce from the Hurricanes.

Both the Ducks and Hurricanes have been rumoured to be in touch with the Leafs about Nylander.

Ducks and Leafs were ideal trade partners in the offseason, but Ducks can't trade one of their top 4 now, as they have no one capable of playing in that role other than who's there. The Ducks would only be able to offer prospects, which obviously the Leafs aren't going to do. The Hurricanes are the team I think will get him IF, and that's a big if, he's traded.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
What would it take for Pittsburgh to trade for him?
Don't have the assets, we need D.

Only trading partners would really be Carolina, but seeing how their offense is clicking, we're kinda lucked out. Maybe Anaheim

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
The no brainer move is just move they guy for a Dman. Pull a CBJ/Nashville and make a 1 for 1 trade for a high end talented dman.

They wont tho. They think they can win the cup with Rielly and a bunch of scraps winning 7-6 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad