Speculation: Nylander V - The Management Strikes Back (ALL Nylander Discussion HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He turned 35 a couple of days ago. He is a stud still and don’t see him slowing down for a few more years. Hard to put an age but I figure he will show signs of slowing down in 2-3 years.
Yeah problem with that is Nylander just turned 22 a few months ago. He has a decade of elite production in front of him, Giordano has 2 maybe 3 years left.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Yeah problem with that is Nylander just turned 22 a few months ago. He has a decade of elite production in front of him, Giordano has 2 maybe 3 years left.
And that’s fair. Short term, leafs would benefit. Long term obviously the Flames.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just for point of clarification. The Leafs need is RHD, and one who's age is fairly close to the core. Certainly nobody over 30. Names like Manson (26), Pesce (23), Trouba (24)... I'm not saying they are equal value to Nylander, or Nylander to them... just that as some sort of package with plus on one side, or the other... those would be the types of players, that would be of benefit to the Leafs.

The preference is for a defensively strong RHD, over offensive, to balance out our Left Side.

Hanifin might be a good D, but at this point, is more offensive, and is a LHD...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Giordano wasn’t a #1D 10 years ago. He started becoming an elite D at 30.

He's an elite D right now... if our window only the next two years, he'd be an attractive pickup... we need someone with a longer career ahead of him... and we know they won't likely be quite as good today.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would do Bennett+Andersson+2019 1st for Nylander, but I would also consider a Nylander for Giordano based trade.

Tkachuk is untouchable and I would rather keep Valimaki.

Toronto gets a TO boy with a good pedigree who could turn it around in Bennett, a RH swedish dman with potential, and a 2019 1st. Calgary gets a hometown boy who could help drive another offensive line.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He's an elite D right now... if our window only the next two years, he'd be an attractive pickup... we need someone with a longer career ahead of him... and we know they won't likely be quite as good today.
? He’s still an attractive pickup considering he’d be your best defenseman, even if it’s only for “2 years” like you say it is.

People have been calling for Gio’s regression for a few years now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
? He’s still an attractive pickup considering he’d be your best defenseman, even if it’s only for “2 years” like you say it is.

People have been calling for Gio’s regression for a few years now.

Defensively, he's easy top 10 in the league... and he's still pretty good offensively too. Yes, he'd be our top D... Full agreement. Downsides... LHD, and age. It's a deal that the Leafs of yesterday make, without question... but not the Leafs of today. As I said previously, the need is RHD, and younger...if we are moving Nylander.

The neat thing about calling for regression, is sooner or later you will be right. LOL

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Easy pass for the Flames.

Not much of a fan of Nylander to begin with but add in his contract demands and no real spot for him on the team at the moment and it certainly isn't worth giving up our best young d-man that also creates a hole on defense for us.

I guess if we thought we could flip Nylander for something maybe I do it but to keep him on the team, pass.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Remember when I proposed hamonic/andersson, Bennett, and an unprotected first and got laughed off the forum by leafs fans? Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing him hold out and get traded for scraps tbh.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
No thanks. Any trade involving Nylander would be a 1 for 1 trade. Either a top 4 defenceman or a 1st line winger.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just for point of clarification. The Leafs need is RHD, and one who's age is fairly close to the core. Certainly nobody over 30. Names like Manson (26), Pesce (23), Trouba (24)... I'm not saying they are equal value to Nylander, or Nylander to them... just that as some sort of package with plus on one side, or the other... those would be the types of players, that would be of benefit to the Leafs.

The preference is for a defensively strong RHD, over offensive, to balance out our Left Side.

Hanifin might be a good D, but at this point, is more offensive, and is a LHD...
the leafs need a guy with cost certainty such as you proposed in Manson and Pesce. Both guys are at steals at under 5M for term (which is key). They need the cost certainty beyond this year for when AM and Marner are due

a top 4RHD coming off ELC/bridge could put the Leafs in a similar position as they are currently. They could have trouble agreeing to contract terms. Furthermore, from what I read on here, it seems like Leaf fans want a guy that is proven. Proven top 4 RHD on ELC probably arent available for a Top 6W.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Leafs currently have more cap room than we have. If they need to trade Nylander due to salary demands, I don't want him.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Flames don't really need Nylander. They've got decent depth at C and on the wings.

They could definitely use a goalie though.

EDIT: Not to mention all the politics involved with the contract. Bringing in a guy who wants more than the established stars on the team like Gaudreau, Monahan and Gio likely isn't going to sit well and could cause some future pain.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
2019 2nd
Fox
Faulk(35% retained)/Fleury

For

Nylander

Thoughts? If the counter is Pesce then Leafs will need to add. Reason being Pesce is under a favorable long term contract and William isn't.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Neutral fan POV here

Leafs probably want someone better/more proven than Fleury and/or someone younger/more cost controlled than Faulk

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
No, and ^ No.

What would you want for Aho?

We'd want a similar package for Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad