Proposal: Nylander to NYR

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
William Nylander
(Let's take out Gardiner because that was dumb)

for

K’andre Miller
Vlad Namestnikov
2020 2nd round pick

I floated the general idea of this on the Rangers board, and most were not receptive - but I’d want to gauge other perceptions

If not this deal, is there a variation around Miller for Nylander that works?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Ignoring the fact that Gardiner is a UFA, why would the Rangers have any interest in him? He is turning 29 in a month, is about to get paid rather handsomely and makes no sense for a team that is in the middle of a rebuild with contention several years away.

Add into that fact that you take our best D LHD prospect who is meant to have a huge role in the future of this rebuild and it makes even less sense.

I like Nylander. Many Rangers fans don't. I'd be happy to have him. But this package just doesn't make sense for us at all. Remove Gardiner and replace Miller with either a young player or prospect (preferably forward) and I think you're much closer to the reality.

Reactions: bernmeister

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
William Nylander
Jake Gardiner

for

K’andre Miller
Vlad Namestnikov
2020 2nd round pick

I floated the general idea of this on the Rangers board, and most were not receptive - but I’d want to gauge other perceptions

Thanks.

[MOD]

Do you realize the Rangers can talk to Gardiner starting on June 23 which is today? The player is a free agent. Why are the Rangers trading for him?

The last thing the Rangers need is another high priced and overpaid veteran D.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Gardiner is an UFA and the free agent speaking period opens today, so his rights are worth nothing at this point. So basically it is Nylander for Miller, Namestnikov and a 2nd. Value wise it is pretty decent (though I'm not sure Leafs would want to take that much cap back if they moved Nylander) but given Miller had a great first year at Wisconsin it seems highly unlikely to me that they'd move him.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Maybe OP is thinking of Zaitsev and not Gardiner? Anyhow, Rangers dont have enough cap room without moving a couple of players. Or by out someone.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Nylander for Miller with potentially small adds would be more interesting than this.

Not sure either team does this. Miller had a monster of a season.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
0btiAIt.gif

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Miller aint going anywhere. We more or less traded McDonaugh + Nash for the combine pick that got him.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
William Nylander
Jake Gardiner

for

K’andre Miller
Vlad Namestnikov
2020 2nd round pick

Thanks.

I like the intent but not the execution.
at the right price, Nylander is ideal RW complement for speedy Fs Kreider and Nieves.

But no surrender of Miller.

what works?

Deangelo rfa + Buch rfa + expiring Namest at half = 2.0
for
Nylander

that works for Leafs, as they save $ by bridging rfas for multiple positions while moving a semi-larger contract. Plus Buch is a top 6 scoring W, and Deangelo has arrived. Namest is a stopgap who can be swallowed at half.

Rangers consolidate and get the asset w/mo upside that is more likely to better complement our higher talented Fs.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Nylander and Zaitsev for Trouba and Miller works for Toronto as this thread is all about improving one team while ignoring the needs of the other.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
at the right price, Nylander is ideal RW complement for speedy Fs Kreider and Nieves.

what works?

for
Nylander

that works for Leafs, as they save $ by bridging rfas for multiple positions while moving a semi-larger contract. Plus Buch is a top 6 scoring W, and Deangelo has arrived. Namest is a stopgap who can be swallowed at half.

Rangers consolidate and get the asset w/mo upside that is more likely to better complement our higher talented Fs.

No, we can just keep Buch who will likely will have a similar impact to Nylander for much less money.
ADA is now a top 4 dman on this team. A year from now or when his bridge deal is over they can revisit moving him as the newer guys develop. I think they need him right now. They don't need Nylander or his 6.9M cap hit.

In the OP, no chance NYR moves Miller.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

what works?

for
Nylander

In a current world of RFAs saying screw you to bridge deals? I think i'll take s break from the RFA thing for a while.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Leafs aren't trading a proven 60 point winger who's only 23 with top line potential for a defensive prospect who looks like he'll be great but hasn't done jack all in the NHL. Next.

Reactions: OB34KNH

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
It's laughable that K'Andre Miller is percieved to have more value (ON HF-Boards) than Willie Nylander.

Nylander has had back to back 60 point seasons. His bad half-a-season is an outlier.
He just tore up the hockey world cup (competing against the likes of Kucherov, Ovie, Malkin, Kane, etc..)

Nylander has ONE bad HALF-A-SEASON, and, suddenly he's a cap dump. Yes, I do realize I am on HF-Boards where shiny new toys are a fetish ---- HOWEVER, you need to fathom reality.

Reactions: SA16

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's laughable that K'Andre Miller is percieved to have more value (ON HF-Boards) than Willie Nylander.

Nylander has had back to back 60 point seasons. His bad half-a-season is an outlier.
He just tore up the hockey world cup (competing against the likes of Kucherov, Ovie, Malkin, Kane, etc..)

Nylander has ONE bad HALF-A-SEASON, and, suddenly he's a cap dump. Yes, I do realize I am on HF-Boards where shiny new toys are a fetish ---- HOWEVER, you need to fathom reality.
Most NYR fans are saying he has more value to us because he's somebody we really need. So, I guess keep laughing?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I am a Ranger fan and I agree with you completely.

Miller does not have anywhere near as much value as Nylander. The only reason anyone should be hesitant about dealing him for Nylander is because of the Leafs cap situation it may be worth trying to take advantage of them and get him cheaper.

Reactions: Blue Blooded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->