Nylander to C - It HAS to Happen

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
With the lack of talented centres on our team, and with the general lack of talented centres in the league, it is important that Nylander be converted to the C position and imo it has to happen as soon as possible.

Actually it is more than just important ... it would essentially be terrible asset management to keep him as a winger, especially when you consider how many good young wingers this team has ready step in and make significant contributions. How many of those wingers could be converted to the C position as well as Willy, who played most of his junior and AHL career as a C.

I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t overly impressed by Willy when Matthews was hurt and he was played as a C, but playing as the 3C he could be played in those sheltered minutes that were given to Bozak-JVR for most of the season. Many times there were games where he would backcheck like crazy and strip the puck to start the play in the other direction, so it’s not like he doesn’t have that in him.

Who would he play with? It would be imperative that the highest paid coach in the league earn his keep and find the best combo of wingers for Willy to play with. Ideally he would be given wingers who are puck hounds and who have speed are capable defensively, but also able to snipe a goal here or there. A winger tandem of Hyman and Kappy would look pretty damn good.

I just believe with the increased value given to quality centres over wingers, it’s just incumbent on the team and the coaching staff to make sure they squeeze out every last bit of potential that Willy has as a C. You think a team like the Scabs wouldn’t be in heaven to have a (potential) #1C like Nylander? Marc Bergevin would burst out of his tight-fitting suits if that would happen.

Here it is, the 2019-2020 Stanley Cup winning Toronto Maple Leafs:

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Nylander - Kappy
Marchment - Altonen - Grundstrom

If Tavares signs here this would all be moot of course but I’m not convinced he will come, and if he does it’s at a price that might force to Leafs hand to eventually make a hard decision like trading Willy to shore up the defence.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I don't quite get the insistent drive to make Nylander a Centerman??

I wasn't hugely impressed with him as a winger last year. I thought he did well but still has a lot more to give. I'd like to see him succeed as a winger before he mans his own line.

My idea would be to put Matthews and Marner together. Then pair Nylander with Kadri/Marleau and see if they can help Nylander breakout like they did Marner when he was struggling.

?????-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Another point to why I see him as a C that I didn’t state in my original post is that his passing skills and vision are being somewhat wasted on the wing. He’s definitely more of a playmaker than a sniper.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander has a ton of potential and strikes me as a player who needs to be “The Guy” oh his line.

He needs the puck on his stick, and guys to get him them at puck.

Hyman - - Matthews - - Marner (Dominant 2 Way Line)
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen (Euro Offence Line)
Marleau - - - Kadri - - - Brown (Shut Down Cycle Line)
Grundstrom - Goat - Komarov (Grinding Shutdown Line)

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
This really comes down to Babcock and what how he wants to use him. I don't think Dubas is going to flat out tell Babcock how to run his lineup or how to coach.

I can see Dubas and Babcock having a discussion on how they want to use the players they have, who's available on the market and what kind of system they see for the team. End of the day Babcock uses the players he has on his roster the way he wants in what system he feels is best. If Dubas doesn't like the things are playing out good firing the coach.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I think Nylander would flourish at C. He's not a hard hat work the boards kinda guy, he's a middle of the ice, time and space kinda guy.

I'd be more than happy with him in the 3C hole especially if we can insulate him with two good defensively responsible wingers. I'd also look to upgrading the 4C with someone stronger to further insulate him like Riley Nash and have Aaltonen as the callup if there's an injury.

Matthews
Kadri
Nylander
Nash
Aaltonen

Reactions: supermann_98

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t overly impressed by Willy when Matthews was hurt
I'm a bit surprised that this is the majority opinion. Willy played secondary matchups against guys like Malkin and Krejci, and posted overall very good underlying metrics despite this. His even strength production wasn't great, but it was right in line with what Matthews had with the same wingers. To me that was the stretch that cemented that he can and should be a center. Babcock seem to think the same, as he commented on that stretch saying that it was Willy's best as a center. Before that stretch, Babs way of talking about that topic had started to change, but afterwards he was again referring to Willy as a future center.

It seem to me that a lot of people expected him to carry the team (read lead the way with tons of points) with Matthews out and taking his spot, but that was always unrealistic considering his linemates and how dysfunctional that PP unit was.

Then pair Nylander with Kadri/Marleau
Kadri and Nylander really doesn't seem to work together though.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We have Matthews and Kadri as our top 2 Cs. Why are we panicking about lack of Cs? Bottom 6 forwards are the easiest to fill.
Nylander is a blue chipper. I worry about changing his entire game. Is he supposed to be a 3rd line C now? Why?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
and its the absolute only way he gets his big money ,maybe somewhere above max domi money if he stays a winger
Nylander has 2 60 + point seasons to start his career. He is a lock to get double what Domi is getting per season. Domi scored 9 goals last year...
He's getting paid big whether he's a centre or winger. Right now he probably wants a Pasternyk like contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This place is full of hot takes. It doesn't have to happen if we sign Tavares.
I am not a big fan of the Tavares signing on it's own. The one big positive is having the ability to trade 1 big named forward for defensive help if you have Tavares added for just $.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I am not a big fan of the Tavares signing on it's own. The one big positive is having the ability to trade 1 big named forward for defensive help if you have Tavares added for just $.

I prefer to stack the forwards and that will help overshadow our dmen developing in the NHL. We have the dmen they just need seasoning and the forwards being stacked will take the pressure off of that process.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm a bit surprised that this is the majority opinion. Willy played secondary matchups against guys like Malkin and Krejci, and posted overall very good underlying metrics despite this. His even strength production wasn't great, but it was right in line with what Matthews had with the same wingers. To me that was the stretch that cemented that he can and should be a center. Babcock seem to think the same, as he commented on that stretch saying that it was Willy's best as a center. Before that stretch, Babs way of talking about that topic had started to change, but afterwards he was again referring to Willy as a future center.

It seem to me that a lot of people expected him to carry the team (read lead the way with tons of points) with Matthews out and taking his spot, but that was always unrealistic considering his linemates and how dysfunctional that PP unit was.

Kadri and Nylander really doesn't seem to work together though.

I think a lot folks see the dip in production and let hat influence them too much.

I think that stretch of games was some of his strongest overall play as a Leaf, especially on the defensive end of things. Which is why it’s indeed puzzling when critics seem to bring it up as some sort of negative against him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Centres >>>>> Wingers

Wingers are a dime a dozen so having good centres is a key to success.

If Nylander could be converted to a full time centre it would benefit the Leafs. It would reduce the talent on the Matthews line but it would fill an organizational need none the less.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
'maybe somewhere above Max Domi money'

this made me laugh.

Domi is so overrated by some leafs fans. Purely for his last name he is a shit player who has some grit so does Matt Martin for example. 7 playoff games was enough for quite a lot of fans to turn on nylander, not outright saying get rid (all though so did) but stupid comments like the one you quoted.

If we trade nylander when he is a 80 point player at 25 years old I wonder if those same poster then complain about dubas trading him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Don't badly manage players like the Habs did with Galenchuk. He could thrive as a C on the Coyotees.
Nyklander is looking fine as a W.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
With the lack of talented centres on our team, and with the general lack of talented centres in the league, it is important that Nylander be converted to the C position and imo it has to happen as soon as possible.

Actually it is more than just important ... it would essentially be terrible asset management to keep him as a winger, especially when you consider how many good young wingers this team has ready step in and make significant contributions. How many of those wingers could be converted to the C position as well as Willy, who played most of his junior and AHL career as a C.

I’ll be the first to admit that I wasn’t overly impressed by Willy when Matthews was hurt and he was played as a C, but playing as the 3C he could be played in those sheltered minutes that were given to Bozak-JVR for most of the season. Many times there were games where he would backcheck like crazy and strip the puck to start the play in the other direction, so it’s not like he doesn’t have that in him.

Who would he play with? It would be imperative that the highest paid coach in the league earn his keep and find the best combo of wingers for Willy to play with. Ideally he would be given wingers who are puck hounds and who have speed are capable defensively, but also able to snipe a goal here or there. A winger tandem of Hyman and Kappy would look pretty damn good.

I just believe with the increased value given to quality centres over wingers, it’s just incumbent on the team and the coaching staff to make sure they squeeze out every last bit of potential that Willy has as a C. You think a team like the Scabs wouldn’t be in heaven to have a (potential) #1C like Nylander? Marc Bergevin would burst out of his tight-fitting suits if that would happen.

Here it is, the 2019-2020 Stanley Cup winning Toronto Maple Leafs:

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Nylander - Kappy
Marchment - Altonen - Grundstrom

If Tavares signs here this would all be moot of course but I’m not convinced he will come, and if he does it’s at a price that might force to Leafs hand to eventually make a hard decision like trading Willy to shore up the defence.

Matthews and Marner will never play on the same line as Babs considers them both line drivers. If I had to guess I would guess:

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen (need for speed line)
Grundstrom-Alt/UFA/Goat-Leivo

PP1
Matthews-Nylander-Marleau-Leivo-Rielly

PP2

Kadri-Marner-Johnson-Brown/Kapanen-Gardiner (or Dermott/Zaitsev)

However, If JT signs then the dynamics change

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-4C-Kapanen
Grundstrom

PP1
Matthews-Tavares-Nylander-Marleau-Rielly

PP2
Kadri-Marner-Leivo-Johnsson-Gardiner (or Dermott/Zaitsev)

Note: Personally I would swap Hyman/Johnsson but we all know Babcock would never do it

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Centres >>>>> Wingers

Wingers are a dime a dozen so having good centres is a key to success.

If Nylander could be converted to a full time centre it would benefit the Leafs. It would reduce the talent on the Matthews line but it would fill an organizational need none the less.

You could argue nylander was converted to a winger. He played majority of his post draft career as a c in the ahl and shl. He can play there and personally I think he is better there. It helps his defensive game. Instead of body on body on the boards he can stick check and take space which are his strengths. A good defensive winger is a must no doubt I think Kapanen is a good defensive winger with offensive upside and Johnsson is too. A line that was as sheltered as bozak s containing those 3 could really take advantage of bottom/middle pair dmen and forwards

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander's defensive game will be what determines if Babcock trust Willie with the added responsibility of the position to play him in the middle.

Reactions: diceman934

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->