Thoughts on the deal?

• Good deal for the Leafs; Poor deal for Nylander

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't understand how you arrive at that conclusion. He has absolute control over whether or not Nylander gets traded. Nothing stops him from keeping the promise.

What might stop him is a trade offer for Nylander, the acceptance of which is in the best interest of the Maple Leafs. Of if he's offered a trade that he believes is a trade we should make do you think he says no, keeping my promise to Nylander is more important then doing what's best for the Maple Leafs?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There's already a media circus regardless of what he says so I don't really think he's too worried about being careful with his words. I'm sure Nylander understands that it's not a legally binding statement and what's being implied is that they have no intention of trading him. The subtext is "you're a part of our core group, you're in our long-term plans."

To me this is the GM standing behind his player. Dubas understands that fans are probably a bit annoyed with Nylander right now, and he understands that the media is just making it worse. Dubas is nipping all that in the bud so that everyone can move on and focus on the actual hockey.

Really? The fact that there is non-stop media circus around the Leafs is exactly why Dubas should be very careful with his words. I think that one thing we loved about Lou was that when he took over, the "circus effect" was immediately reduced to almost nothing. I sure as hell don't want it back, do you?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Really? The fact that there is non-stop media circus around the Leafs is exactly why Dubas should be very careful with his words. I think that one thing we loved about Lou was that when he took over, the "circus effect" was immediately reduced to almost nothing. I sure as hell don't want it back, do you?

The circus was 100% still there with Lou. How much air time did they create out of the players' facial hair?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There was one way to ensure Willie doesn't get traded, or at least minimize the probability, don't take the bonuses up front. Win, win, we get the cap savings and you get greater security. Instead he gets the bonuses and a promise. Never has a RFA achieved so much.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas with another great move.
Shanahan going with Dubas looks like a terrific decision right now.

Nylander probably doesnt resign with Hunter in charge, or even if he does, he probably gets a terrible contract.

Reactions: Once

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I heard it put this way today, and it's perfect: Nylander won, but the Leafs didn't lose.

exactly. For now, in 2 seasons when nylander is a consistent 75-ppg guy the leafs win then. Just because they didn't "win" right now doesn't mean they wont. Everyone brings up pasta, he outgrew his contract the day he signed it its a JVR level steal now. Nylander wanted to make sure he had a little room to grow into his

Reactions: stickty111

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The circus was 100% still there with Lou. How much air time did they create out of the players' facial hair?

The media will always be a circus, that's a given. Giving them material to work with is a different story and if the biggest "circus" story during Lou's tenure was facial hair then I'd say he did a helluva job in that regard.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't know Bert. that would be tough for Dubas to reconcile.

Quelling media speculation and internal distraction certainly a benefit of Dubas saying "As long as I'm GM Nylander will not be traded" ..

However if that was simply lip service to Nylander and the media and Dubas trades Willy in 5 months time than he will have lost all accountability for his words and who would ever believe a word he says again if he was found simply doing it for posturing and never meant to honour that?.

Fans, media, player agents and even players, nobody would place any truth in what he says thereafter. His reputation would be one of simply saying what people want to hear and placing no value one could rely on going forward as truthful.

per Jonas Siegel

“The discussion that William and I had had a couple of times was a fear of his … that he was being signed to be traded,” Dubas told Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports. “And my discussion with him, I just affirmed with him that that was not our intention whatsoever.
Our intention was that as long as I was here that I saw him as a part of the
Toronto
Maple Leafs

Maybe just a bit less committed than what’s out there (Dubas chose his words carefully – teams make decisions every now and then that they certainly never had any “intentions” of doing), and Elliotte Friedman has mentioned that he believes this season will be Nylander’s last in Toronto.
Pressed further, Dubas made clear that he’s not looking to trade his young winger.
“I don’t think we want to get into the business at all of having these young, core pieces of ours, and then going forward and moving them from our team,” he said."

The top bolded is referring to things he said to Willie prior to signing. Probably made with $6.4-6.5m offer on the table. The bottom is post signing. I don't see either as a promise, particularly the latter but rather an intention based on the facts at the time.

So next year "He was one of our core pieces but the cap pressure forced us to make changes we did not anticipate having to make." or perhaps "We really like our young forwards but the early exit in the playoffs has made it pretty clear we are not Stanley Cup caliber with the defense as it is. The fact that player X was available at the same time was an opportunity we couldn't pass on". It might make more of a difference if Willie took one for the team and sign $6.5M with no big bonus but he squeezed the club for all he could. Situations change and the fans want a winner, the media wants a story, and agents are trying to suck every drop of his blood 24-7 no matter what he does or doesn't do. As to what the players think, they saw Willie's power play and even babies raised by wolves can see this isn't a balanced lineup. Its a business, and Matty and Mitch will be sitting on mountains of cash perhaps glad that the club was able to make room for their massive deals.

I am not predicting he is gone this summer but teams have done a lot worse things to a lot nicer guys than William Nylander and as soon as they start winning its forgotten. Its business and players want to get paid and win.

Jeddie

Sep 22, 2014
For the record, this is exactly what Dubas has said on the matter, going back to before the start of the season:

As long as Dubas is the GM he sees Nylander as a core part of our group, and that's where his focus has been.

Personally, I have no issue with our GM issuing that quote about one of our top young players, especially if that player had heard a little too much of the media's garbage about our situation moving forward and had undue concerns about their place in our plans.

I dont understand all the talk about what he said. Nylander is part of the vision, that doesn't mean things cant change. Dubas is just saying we didnt sign Nylander to trade him.

Hes part of the vision of winning a cup and staying competitive for years. Keep the young, trade the old. Instead of of how we use to be. Sell off the young and sign the old..

Nothing wrong with what Dubas said....

Reactions: Menzinger

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The media will always be a circus, that's a given. Giving them material to work with is a different story and if the biggest "circus" story during Lou's tenure was facial hair then I'd say he did a helluva job in that regard.
And if the biggest media circus during Dubas' tenure is that he said he wasn't going to trade one of his top young players (or this Nylander saga in general), I'd call that a pretty big win as well.

We've got one of the youngest GMs in the League, in the largest market in the League, on his first year on the job - I think he's handled himself quite well.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nylander is pretty fit, no? I see no reason he doesn't go on Thursday. I was watching his goals from the last 2 years again. Quite a shot. We have a lot of power now. Feel bad for other teams. The teams that have been successful against us have played a fast and heavy game. Buffalo has good speed and some hitting ability. Should be a good test tonight.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I dont understand all the talk about what he said. Nylander is part of the vision, that doesn't mean things cant change. Dubas is just saying we didnt sign Nylander to trade him.

Hes part of the vision of winning a cup and staying competitive for years. Keep the young, trade the old. Instead of of how we use to be. Sell off the young and sign the old..

Nothing wrong with what Dubas said....
For sure. Especially with all the talk about Nylander being a cap casualty - It's an asinine notion (and wishful thinking on the part of some, I'm sure) that he would be our first sacrifice when the cap crunch comes.

Telling your 22-year-old RFAs that they're in your long-term plans and won't be looked at as trade fodder is all part of making them feel safe and protected in this crazy fish-bowl. If this is a circus, I'm glad he wasn't any murkier... the sharks would still be circling.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And if the biggest media circus during Dubas' tenure is that he said he wasn't going to trade one of his top young players (or this Nylander saga in general), I'd call that a pretty big win as well.

We've got one of the youngest GMs in the League, in the largest market in the League, on his first year on the job - I think he's handled himself quite well.

Well, to be fair he hasn't been on the job long enough to really judge that. I agree that he's handled himself quite well, I think he'd like to take back what he said here and it was clearly a mistake but sure, if that's the biggest mistake he's made by the time he's been on the job as long as Lou was, that would be great.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
What about what Shanny said earlier about the players taking slight discounts? Nylander def did not take a discount, but Dubas said he was safe from being traded. Seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Well, to be fair he hasn't been on the job long enough to really judge that. I agree that he's handled himself quite well, I think he'd like to take back what he said here and it was clearly a mistake but sure, if that's the biggest mistake he's made by the time he's been on the job as long as Lou was, that would be great.
I disagree that it was clearly a mistake. Out of curiosity, what makes you think he'd like to take it back? He basically doubled down on it:
"I don't know why that's a surprise," Dubas said. "I've been on the record as saying that ... it's our intention to have him here as long as we're here. He’s an excellent young player. I don’t think we want to get in the business of not having excellent young players so that’s how we feel about it."

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What about what Shanny said earlier about the players taking slight discounts? Nylander def did not take a discount, but Dubas said he was safe from being traded. Seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

The disconnect was that Nylander isn't a Toronto boy who grew up dreaming of bringing a cup "home", who was willing to sacrifice some of his own financial future to help make it happen.

Turns out he's a professional hockey player who they had to pay what he's worth.

Reactions: Laista

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I disagree that it was clearly a mistake. Out of curiosity, what makes you think he'd like to take it back?

Because there was no need to create controversy by making a false promise and I'm sure he realises that by now.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Regardless if this contract is an overpayment or not, I'm really excited to see Willy gliding through that neutral zone with the puck on a string.

Leafs forwards are going to be stupidly deep lol. Two of the best lines in the NHL on the same team. Yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad