• 46-55 points

• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Again...if Nylander played for someone else...NO ONE would think trading Gardiner our 2nd best DMan for WN would be a good idea given where our team is at in it's competitive cycle and the current roster make up.

The notion would be laughed at as absurd.

Yet here we are with Nylander under contract for the next 6 years and presumably getting ready to wave goodbye to Jake for around the same cap hit. This does not add up.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Again...if Nylander played for someone else...NO ONE would think trading Gardiner our 2nd best DMan for WN would be a good idea given where our team is at in it's competitive cycle and the current roster make up.

The notion would be laughed at as absurd.

Yet here we are with Nylander under contract for the next 6 years and presumably getting ready to wave goodbye to Jake for around the same cap hit. This does not add up.

This reminds me of this time last year when certain contracts were pointed to as why we can't keep JVR.

Management knows what it is doing.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Willie is trying. That's all I ask for. Try. It will come. Relax kid. Ignore negative comments. Play your game. The contract shit is over, it's done. Try.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Marleau contract is much worse. The reason we don't talk about it much is we can't trade it and there is only one year left on it after this year.

don't worry, he'll be traded, as they agreed upon from the start.

the idea of losing Willy because we have a 40yr old Marleau taking up capspce is too ridiculous to even conceive of.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So weird that people think $7m for willy is bad when we're paying $6.3 to the corpse of Marleau.

Dude you really struggle with hockey quality metrics. Last year you were telling he world just hoe bad Andersen is , now this year you are implying Marleau is performing at the equivalent of a corpse.

Marleau is shooting at a 12% clip, around a 19 goal pace. Nylander is shooting at 3.7% clip on about a 4 goal pace. Marleau is not the problem, uneducated fans are.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dude you really struggle with hockey quality metrics.

uh huh.

Last year you were telling he world just hoe bad Andersen is ,

I was telling he world that Andersen was a borderline top-10 goalie last year, not a vezina contender. And I was right.

now this year you are implying Marleau is performing at the equivalent of a corpse.

correct.

Marleau is shooting at a 12% clip, around a 19 goal pace. Nylander is shooting at 3.7% clip on about a 4 goal pace. Marleau is not the problem, uneducated fans are.

speaking of struggling with "hockey quality metrics".....

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
This reminds me of this time last year when certain contracts were pointed to as why we can't keep JVR.

Management knows what it is doing.

So now we are comparing the value of JVR who would be a 3rd line winger on this team to Jake Gardiner our #2 defencemen?

If Nylander played for someone else and we traded Gardiner today straight up for him we'd go nuts. And the org would never do it. That is a move an offensively challenged team with a youth movement going on does. Not a team that wants to contend now.

Maybe Zeke is on the right track. Maybe the org thinks they can Datsyuk Marleau and we can get them both Jake and WN under contract. If not, and we see Gardiner walk because we paid WN, it could get real ugly.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So now we are comparing the value of JVR who would be a 3rd line winger on this team to Jake Gardiner our #2 defencemen?

If Nylander played for someone else and we traded Gardiner today straight up for him we'd go nuts. And the org would never do it. That is a move an offensively challenged team with a youth movement going on does. Not a team that wants to contend now.

Maybe Zeke is on the right track. Maybe the org thinks they can Datsyuk Marleau and we can get them both Jake and WN under contract. If not, and we see Gardiner walk because we paid WN, it could get real ugly.
I hope we can figure out a way to deal with Marleau and everybody is happy. The Leafs may even want him back at league minimum after his buyout is complete. We should not have to suffer next year because of it when we can use our unlimited money supply to solve the issue.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

36 goal JVR is what I am comparing him to. People were panicking over losing him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nobody misses JVR because we added JT. Either Lily or Sandin needs to step in next year or we will need to acquire a dman or two to fill the void.
neither should be on the Leafs next year imo, rather see them log huge minutes with the Marlies than be thrown into a situation that most likely will Pejorative Slur their development.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So weird that people think $7m for willy is bad when we're paying $6.3 to the corpse of Marleau.
to be fair, you have to put the Marleau signing into context. No one expected Mathews fall into the Leafs lap, therefore the rebuild would have taken at least a year or two longer, by which time Marleau's contract would have expired. When looking at what he brings to the team you just can't look at his on ice stats, he bring a huge amount of mentoring that has to be factored into the equation. That being said, it would be nice if his game improved a little. I can live with him on the team for another year, it is what it is.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Nylander is what he is. A 60 point complimentary player. He is not nor ever will be a core piece. He doesn’t have that extra drive to reach elite status.

He is a luxury on this team. Everyone is upset about his play but it’s the same as it’s always been.

I think this has been Dubas first mistake so far.

Reactions: MyBudJT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad