• 36-45 points

• 46-55 points

• HOLY MAKINAW! 56+ points!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Given his payday, I'm wondering what point total is expected of him.

If he plays with Matthews, 60 minimum.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
Why do you take it personally when I address it to "people"?

I'm not going to touch the rest. It's New Years Eve, after all.

Right... back at me?

I'm literally trying to apply as much context as I can. This is beyond dumb.
To be fair you were replying to my post so i assumed you were directing it at me, and fwiw it doesn't bother me, I find it amusing Just because you say something and believe what your saying doesn't make it true. And using words like ignorant and dumb doesn't created an open minded conversation in my experience. Btw I was sincere in not understanding what your point was in the original thread and wanted to understand,

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To be fair you were replying to my post so i assumed you were directing it at me, and fwiw it doesn't bother me, I find it amusing Just because you say something and believe what your saying doesn't make it true. And using words like ignorant and dumb doesn't created an open minded conversation in my experience. Btw I was sincere in not understanding what your point was in the original thread and wanted to understand,
Well, I do apologize in that case. I promise I'll get back to you on that.

mrbagina

Jan 4, 2017
What will be the bigger figure: number of goals Matthews scores or the number of points Nylander puts up this year?
I hope I am wrong but I think Matty scores more goals than Williys points and I think its not even close.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Playoffs - Nylanders scores the gm6 winning goal for the Leafs going to the second round.

The levee breaks and he starts tearing shit up like its 2016

SCF!!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It would be great if he hit his stride in the playoffs. No one cares then. The guy will be fresh as a daisy.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think the Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander line is going to dominate. Nylander is going to be making those long crisp passes right onto Matthews' stick. Johnsson is going to be able to make some nice short little passes to Matthews too. Matthews is going to love these linemates.

Kapanen and Marleau are both finishers IMO. They are both better goal scorers than playmakers. Matthews needs playmakers like Nylander, Marner, and Johnsson. Those are my 3 ideal wingers for Matthews. And while I still think that Marner is the ultimate winger for Matthews, Nylander and Johnsson are going to be awesome too.

Look for Matthews to start scoring 2 goals per game with these wingers... Nylander will start getting some points. All will be good in Leafs land if we keep this line in tact. We will finally have that dominant #1 line with Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander.

Cheer up everyone. Nylander and Matthews going to be tearing it up even better than they were last year now that they have Johnsson.

RLF

May 5, 2014
That's just the thing. He knows what he can do, and what he has consistently done both the previous three years and earlier, and that doesn't work right now.

It's also important to note that he's again been our best transition player since coming back, and last game had 5 high scoring chances himself and set up two more. And we still think he's very off. If the pucks start to go in as they should with the chances he generates, and he takes two steps back to normal, that should give us some high-end production.

I will have to disagree. I see a guy who is not doing what he has done in the past. I see no engine, I see the guy who got sent to the 4th line for lack of effort, not the guy who put up the points and helped control play.

There have been some talking for games now about transition and possession even when he was looking worse. Now it's scoring chances to show he is actually effective. He has got better than day 1, but I do not see the guy who put up the points, controlled the puck and looked like a young star. I don't see the guy who did those things. I see a much lesser version of that player. I get how some want stats to try an apply context to describe his play right now, but I don't know how you can use those to put context to what seems like a guy who is uninterested. Stats aside, just my opinion, he does not seem to be playing as hard as he could and until he changes his approach on how hard to play, it isn't going to be pretty.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I will have to disagree. I see a guy who is not doing what he has done in the past. I see no engine, I see the guy who got sent to the 4th line for lack of effort, not the guy who put up the points and helped control play.

There have been some talking for games now about transition and possession even when he was looking worse. Now it's scoring chances to show he is actually effective. He has got better than day 1, but I do not see the guy who put up the points, controlled the puck and looked like a young star. I don't see the guy who did those things. I see a much lesser version of that player. I get how some want stats to try an apply context to describe his play right now, but I don't know how you can use those to put context to what seems like a guy who is uninterested. Stats aside, just my opinion, he does not seem to be playing as hard as he could and until he changes his approach on how hard to play, it isn't going to be pretty.

why would he??? he got his massive contract and a no trade promise from the GM

It was 2 years of the coach getting on his butt and the prospects of him earning a massive contract playing on a line with a generational center and what was produced? 20 goal/60 point seasons/yawn.

He has his retirement contract and verbal NTC , Babs has lost his 2 main motivating positions

mark my words,,, Melander will be a complete bust this season. Babs does not have time to drag Matty down (or our division standings)he has Kappy available to fill in on RW and posting just as good numbers as melanders last 2 years.

and Melander ain't chit without that generational center puffing him up.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Greedlander will show up again in 5 years when its contract year. Its so clear he plays for the money, but for the love of the game. Should have traded him on the very first day he held out.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks fan here in peace.

I know that people need a reason to hold out hope for a player that was just given a massive long term prospect, but most players don't take months to get back up to speed after an injury. To use an example who was also a Leaf, let's look at the season Mats Sundin had as a Canuck at age 40 with a new team.

By game 15 Sundin had scored 6 goals and added 5 helpers and would go on to score 28 points in 41 games, well below his previous PPG pace but still far better than Nylander has shown thus far.

In the playoffs, he was back at a PPG pace scoring 3 goals and 5 assists in the 8 games the Canucks played.

So why is Nylander, a player who's nearly two decades younger than Sundin was taking so much longer to get back to his game? He's not shooting as much as he usually does, he's normally around 2.33 shots per game when playing a full season, this season he's at 1.8 shots per game and has 7 games where he recorded one or fewer shots. It's also worth noting that Nylander isn't a streaky scorer who gets his points in bunches, outside of his rookies season this is a player that has never had a stretch of more than 3 games without recording a point. This season he has points in 2 of 15 games.

I think the evidence points to him being stuck in his own head to an extreme degree. He's doing nearly all the things that have worked for him in the past but he's a step slower, he's thinking instead of doing, he's probably beating himself up. Even his first goal wasn't enough to relieve the pressure. He's never had a stretch of games where he wasn't contributing offensively and maybe he doesn't have the mental tools to break himself out of a mid-season slump.

I personally don't think he can crack 30 points this season as, even when he does start scoring, it seems unlikely that he'd be anything but the steady scorer he's been his entire career. If he returned to the old Nylander tomorrow and started scoring at the rate he did the past two seasons he'd finish with 31 points. That said, I think there are a number of reasons both to think that Nylander will return to his scoring ways.

For one, he is still shooting. Yes, his shots per game are down, but he's had a 5 shot game in spite of his struggles. Another thing is that I think the chemistry with his linemates and his line's offensive production is an issue. Lastly, from what people have said, I don't really watch many Leafs games as a Canucks fan, his game hasn't really lost anything. He isn't a player that used to drive the net playing soft all of a sudden, his game has always been one of skill.

I guess the question is, can Nylander score enough to get to even half his expected rate (20 pts.) and turn it on for the playoffs as Sundin did in 08-09 or will he pull and Eberle and get run out of town after a bad season and disappointing playoffs?

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Canucks fan here in peace.

I know that people need a reason to hold out hope for a player that was just given a massive long term prospect, but most players don't take months to get back up to speed after an injury. To use an example who was also a Leaf, let's look at the season Mats Sundin had as a Canuck at age 40 with a new team.

By game 15 Sundin had scored 6 goals and added 5 helpers and would go on to score 28 points in 41 games, well below his previous PPG pace but still far better than Nylander has shown thus far.

In the playoffs, he was back at a PPG pace scoring 3 goals and 5 assists in the 8 games the Canucks played.

So why is Nylander, a player who's nearly two decades younger than Sundin was taking so much longer to get back to his game? He's not shooting as much as he usually does, he's normally around 2.33 shots per game when playing a full season, this season he's at 1.8 shots per game and has 7 games where he recorded one or fewer shots. It's also worth noting that Nylander isn't a streaky scorer who gets his points in bunches, outside of his rookies season this is a player that has never had a stretch of more than 3 games without recording a point. This season he has points in 2 of 15 games.

I think the evidence points to him being stuck in his own head to an extreme degree. He's doing nearly all the things that have worked for him in the past but he's a step slower, he's thinking instead of doing, he's probably beating himself up. Even his first goal wasn't enough to relieve the pressure. He's never had a stretch of games where he wasn't contributing offensively and maybe he doesn't have the mental tools to break himself out of a mid-season slump.

I personally don't think he can crack 30 points this season as, even when he does start scoring, it seems unlikely that he'd be anything but the steady scorer he's been his entire career. If he returned to the old Nylander tomorrow and started scoring at the rate he did the past two seasons he'd finish with 31 points. That said, I think there are a number of reasons both to think that Nylander will return to his scoring ways.

For one, he is still shooting. Yes, his shots per game are down, but he's had a 5 shot game in spite of his struggles. Another thing is that I think the chemistry with his linemates and his line's offensive production is an issue. Lastly, from what people have said, I don't really watch many Leafs games as a Canucks fan, his game hasn't really lost anything. He isn't a player that used to drive the net playing soft all of a sudden, his game has always been one of skill.

I guess the question is, can Nylander score enough to get to even half his expected rate (20 pts.) and turn it on for the playoffs as Sundin did in 08-09 or will he pull and Eberle and get run out of town after a bad season and disappointing playoffs?

He has a big zoo of monkeys on his back, but is a player that want to seem unbothered about everything. That does not work well for him. He need some MacKinnon uncontrolled rage fit. He is not Sundin, and he might collect more monkeys come playoffs consider the crapstorm he got last time.

I thought he would get 37p , but not anymore, maby 16p or something.

I hope " The Alien Brain" comes back and continue on his great season without any more distractions.

Reactions: Norade

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Greedlander will show up again in 5 years when its contract year. Its so clear he plays for the money, but for the love of the game. Should have traded him on the very first day he held out.

His contract drive year was not what it was expected to be and the playoff was horrid.

Given the above, I viewed it the other way ie if he can't find some juice in his contract drive year where does he ever find the juice? I mean quitting in a playoff series where you're going to go directly into a contract negotiation afterwards? Not sure where a guy like that is ever going to find this hidden reservoir of determination.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It makes me nauseous knowing we are likely going to lose Jake Gardner for Nylander's same 7M cap hit.

Who would ever trade a 50 point defensemen for a 60 point RW? A #2 defensemen for your #3 RW? Some team that needed offence up front real bad i guess would do it. Is that us? Hell no that isn't us.

Gardner is so much more important to this team than Nylander is it's ridiculous.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It makes me nauseous knowing we are likely going to lose Jake Gardner for Nylander's same 7M cap hit.

Who would ever trade a 50 point defensemen for a 60 point RW? A #2 defensemen for your #3 RW? Some team that needed offence up front real bad i guess would do it. Is that us? Hell no that isn't us.

Gardner is so much more important to this team than Nylander is it's ridiculous.
You are getting way too caught-up in how Nylander is playing now. He's a #1 RW, not #3. And you really think he peaked at age 21 with 61 points? Gardiner is 7 years older and in his absolute prime.
Gardiner will command about 6-7 million until he's 36 on his next deal. Are you really sure it's so bad to pick Nylander over him? WE do have very good, young D ready to play next season.(Dermott should be playing more right now)
Give me Nylander long-term anyday over Gardiner, and I am not a Gardiner hater.

Even if you trade Nylander later, the return will be terrific.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You are getting way too caught-up in how Nylander is playing now. He's a #1 RW, not #3. And you really think he peaked at age 21 with 61 points? Gardiner is 7 years older and in his absolute prime.
Gardiner will command about 6-7 million until he's 36 on his next deal. Are you really sure it's so bad to pick Nylander over him? WE do have very good, young D ready to play next season.

All I hear is "our time is now"? I agree. The window is open now. Look at our lineup projection next year and years following with Nylander vs Gardiner.

I already know you know our forward lineup looks great with and without Nylander so I won't list that lineup...so here's our D next year without Gardiner:

Reilly Liljegren (?)
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen (?) OZZY
Sandin (?) Holl (?)

How do we look at this roster and that D core, where we are supposed to be contending for cups NOW, and come to the conclusion we're better off trying to win without Gardiner than without Nylander?

With cups on the line, I certainly don't want to bet on all this presumed Nylander "growth" and watch Gardner walk out the door and be left with yet another huge hole on D.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
All I hear is "our time is now"? I agree. The window is open now. Look at our lineup projection next year and years following with Nylander vs Gardiner.

I already know you know our forward lineup looks great with and without Nylander so I won't list that lineup...so here's our D next year without Gardiner:

Reilly Liljegren (?)
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen (?) OZZY
Sandin (?) Holl (?)

How do we look at this roster and that D core, where we are supposed to be contending for cups NOW, and come to the conclusion we're better off trying to win without Gardiner than without Nylander?

With cups on the line, I certainly don't want to bet on all this presumed Nylander "growth" and watch Gardner walk out the door and be left with yet another huge hole on D.

I just disagree because you are painting NYlandef as a 7 million 3rd line winger which he is not. He is ready to have a career year starting next season. I am not waiting for him to grow, he can play great anfd contribute now.

Jake Gardiner at that contract until he's 36 is not worth it. There are multiple D we can trade for as well with our assets.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Look at this way LeafFever ...If Nylander was someone else's property you could never get the Leafs to trade Gardiner for Nylander right now for the same cap hit. It would look like the dumbest move from a team that wants to win this year and the years following.

Here is what we would be saying.

- We traded from a position of weakness to get back a position of strength? How do we trade our 2nd best defencemen for yet another offensive winger we don't really need when we're going for a cup?
- Who the heck is our PP2 defencemen now?
-Why would we care what these players look like 5 years from now when our time to win is now? Shouldn't it be teams looking to rebuild who make moves like this?

Reactions: Leafling

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I just disagree because you are painting NYlandef as a 7 million 3rd line winger which he is not. He is ready to have a career year starting next season. I am not waiting for him to grow, he can play great anfd contribute now.

Jake Gardiner at that contract until he's 36 is not worth it. There are multiple D we can trade for as well with our assets.

Let me know when he starts contributing actual points, instead of fantasy stats like possession.

Reactions: egd27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->