Nylander OR Ehlers

Who is the better player (excluding contracts)?

• Total voters

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Close, but an observation regarding Ehlers. How does this guy not get killed every game? He cuts to the middle of the ice all the time. I feel like todays D don't anticipate that like earlier players. Scott Stevens would be waiting like lion ready to pounce.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since Nylander has already matched his career high with 22 goals, I don't think this season is a fluke for him. When he previously got 22 goals in 2017 that was in 81 games played and he's at that number with 49 games played.

That's kind of the definition of "waiting to see if it was a fluke". Or do you think a guy like Bryan Rust should be penciled in to score 40+ goals every year because he's already surpassed his career high in goals despite only playing 36 games?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's kind of the definition of "waiting to see if it was a fluke". Or do you think a guy like Bryan Rust should be penciled in to score 40+ goals every year because he's already surpassed his career high in goals despite only playing 36 games?
Yet there were others who expected Nylander to have a bounceback season based on how it went for him last season, so maybe it's not a surprise he's already matched his career high in goals.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I think it's very well established they are equal enough as to not be worth comparing in polls, endlessly.
Ehlers is one pace for 84 points over 82 games this season.
Nylander is one pace for 62 points over 82 games this season.

Sorry, but nope, this season, it is really not equal at all. And Nylander is not the better defensive player between the two.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ehlers is one pace for 84 points over 82 games this season.
Nylander is one pace for 62 points over 82 games this season.

Sorry, but nope, this season, it is really not equal at all. And Nylander is not the better defensive player between the two.
The poll question isn't "Who is having the better season". Maybe you think Ehlers has suddenly become more talented or something but I think they are close enough as to make it not worth arguing about.

By your logic Marner is now better than MacKinnon, Kucherov, Crosby and a host of other greats. It's nice you think so highly of him but I doubt many would share your opinion.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
The poll question isn't "Who is having the better season". Maybe you think Ehlers has suddenly become more talented or something but I think they are close enough as to make it not worth arguing about.

By your logic Marner is now better than MacKinnon, Kucherov, Crosby and a host of other greats. It's nice you think so highly of him but I doubt many would share your opinion.
Poor choice of player comparaison.

Yes, at that point, Marner might be a better player offensively compared to Crosby, but Crosby brings more leadership and defensive play to the table, which is not the case for Nylander vs Ehlers.

Kucherov has been injured all season long so I don't see your point.

MacKinnon is pacing for 102 points this season over 82, while Marner is pacing for 103 points. There are pretty much equal as this point. Clearly not the same thing as for Ehlers vs Nylander 20 points gap (pace wise).MacKinnon has the best resume, so of course he would win a poll, which is not the case for Ehlers vs Nylander (they had similar career before this season).

Reactions: snowkiddin

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Poor choice of player comparaison.

Yes, at that point, Marner might be a better player offensively compared to Crosby, but Crosby brings more leadership and defensive play to the table, which is not the case for Nylander vs Ehlers.

Kucherov has been injured all season long so I don't see your point.

MacKinnon is pacing for 102 points this season over 82, while Marner is pacing for 103 points. There are pretty much equal as this point. Clearly not the same thing as for Ehlers vs Nylander 20 points gap (pace wise).MacKinnon has the best resume, so of course he would win a poll, which is not the case for Ehlers vs Nylander (they had similar career before this season).
I think we both know MacKinnon is better than Marner, one season is no kind of indicator. I forgot Kuch wasn't playing :P I just named great players not above Marner in scoring. He's 4th but not better than everyone behind him so...

I'm glad you like your guy but I wouldn't put much stock in one season, especially this late in their careers.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I wonder how much of that is their deployments though? Probably hard to know, but I know Ehlers played with Sheif and Wheeler for a while, two play makers, and then with Little the other times, another playmaker. He was put into position to score.

Nylander mostly had a job of passing the puck to Matthews and letting him score. It wasn't until he got switched to JT's line where JT acted as a playmaker for Nylander that he started exploding with his goal scoring.

Small sample size admittedly but just a thought.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

I know your post was a while ago, but it looks like Keefe separated him and Matthews 5v5, only 30min this season at 5v5 where Ehlers has only 40min with Wheeler. Ehler's has 130m with Chef and Nylanders most common linemate by a lot is Tavares (327min). Ehlers is better in most per60 categories with similar TOI (less PP time but more EV) so maybe it is usage, similar to how Matthews always had great per60 numbers and was held back by a useless coach.

I think the players are both pretty close, but Ehlers appears to be having a noticeably better season and were I to take one on the Oilers I think he would fit better. No slight to Nylander.

Linemates:
William Nylander - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
Nikolaj Ehlers - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

I know your post was a while ago, but it looks like Keefe separated him and Matthews 5v5, only 30min this season at 5v5 where Ehlers has only 40min with Wheeler. Ehler's has 130m with Chef and Nylanders most common linemate by a lot is Tavares (327min). Ehlers is better in most per60 categories with similar TOI (less PP time but more EV) so maybe it is usage, similar to how Matthews always had great per60 numbers and was held back by a useless coach.

I think the players are both pretty close, but Ehlers appears to be having a noticeably better season and were I to take one on the Oilers I think he would fit better. No slight to Nylander.

Linemates:
William Nylander - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
Nikolaj Ehlers - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

That would explain the production gap. Ehlers gets to play with Connor while Nylander's being weight down by that $11 million overpaid anchor. ;)

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Both are at 0.72 p/pg for their careers. Always has been incredibly close with these 2
Ya Dave Poulin said back when he was working for the Leafs before the 2014 draft the Leafs scouting staff was torn on whether they should draft Nylander or Ehlers. They were listening to offers on moving back because they also really liked Larkin. In the end they went with Nylander because they thought he had the highest offensive ceiling.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Ya Dave Poulin said back when he was working for the Leafs before the 2014 draft the Leafs scouting staff was torn on whether they should draft Nylander or Ehlers. They were listening to offers on moving back because they also really liked Larkin. In the end they went with Nylander because they thought he had the highest offensive ceiling.

If I remember correctly there was talk that nylander had the highest offensive ceiling of the entire draft.

Just hasn't been able to put it all together.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I think Nylander may be slightly more talented but ehlers makes up for that with effort and drive. Both very similar.

Why does nylander make almost a mil more?

Seems like dubas couldn't get a single rfa signed for market value lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad