Nylander OR Ehlers

Who is the better player (excluding contracts)?

• Total voters

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Are people seriously saying ehlers this season?

Ehlers has actually been really good this season (arguably as good as any Jets forward except maybe Scheifele) but Maurice hates giving him minutes. I don't usually check but I remember a few games ago Kyle Connor (similar level of player overall) had ~10 minutes more than Ehlers did in the game, which is ridiculous.
I'm not saying Nylander isn't great too, but the stats don't reflect everything.

Reactions: hn777

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Ehlers has never scored more than 29 goals in any season.

Now if you want to include the playoffs Nylander has been the better player during that time. In 20 career playoff games he's had 3 Goals, 8 Assists for 11 points.

Ehlers playoff career is 0 Goals, 7 Assists for 7 points in 21 playoff games.
29 goals is very good production. I’ll stick with Ehlers. You stick with nylander. M-kay!

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Ehlers has a better EVP stats while Willy has better PP-stats. Make your pick accordingly

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Biggest difference this year is Nylander has started going to the dirty area's. Most of his goals are net front. Not sure if it is still the case, but it was reported recently he was 2nd in the NHL in goals scored in front of the net.

Nylander gets 1st unit pp time whereas Ehlers PP time is limited. Give me Ehlers at ES over Nylander. Nylander is likely better on the PP.

Given that the difference so far is PP usage, is doesn't seem that outrageous.

But that requires you to actually look into the stats.

Ironic..

"Since Sheldon Keefe took over, Nylander has 24 points in 24 games.
His 28 5v5 points on the season rank him 15th in the NHL. That is more than supposed Hart Trophy candidate Jack Eichel. It’s more than Point, Kucherov or Ovechkin.
Nylander has 14 5v5 goals, tied with Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid and MacKinnon.
His 20 goals overall rank him 19th in the NHL.

His 41 points rank him 33rd in the overall scoring race, though it’s worth pointing out that he was not on the first power play unit for half the games so far."

Toronto Maple Leafs: Busting 3 Ridiculous Myths About William Nylander

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Nylander's better at making those around him productive. Ehlers probably has the edge in goal scoring ability.

I'd lean toward Nylander if I was "building from scratch" and he had to be the best player on a line.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think Nylander's better at making those around him productive. Ehlers probably has the edge in goal scoring ability.

I'd lean toward Nylander if I was "building from scratch" and he had to be the best player on a line.

I wonder how much of that is their deployments though? Probably hard to know, but I know Ehlers played with Sheif and Wheeler for a while, two play makers, and then with Little the other times, another playmaker. He was put into position to score.

Nylander mostly had a job of passing the puck to Matthews and letting him score. It wasn't until he got switched to JT's line where JT acted as a playmaker for Nylander that he started exploding with his goal scoring.

Small sample size admittedly but just a thought.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wonder how much of that is their deployments though? Probably hard to know, but I know Ehlers played with Sheif and Wheeler for a while, two play makers, and then with Little the other times, another playmaker. He was put into position to score.

Nylander mostly had a job of passing the puck to Matthews and letting him score. It wasn't until he got switched to JT's line where JT acted as a playmaker for Nylander that he started exploding with his goal scoring.

Small sample size admittedly but just a thought.

Maybe. But it also comes down to a shooter's mentality. I think Nylander, by instinct, will look for the nice pass before taking the shot. Ehlers, by contrast, I think will opt to shoot first and pass second.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Ehlers. Better contract, arguably more skill, and did not feel the need to be a complete moron during contract talks. Not to mention the egoism.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Ehlers but it's closer than some Leafs fans are willing to admit. Maurice has some vendetta against him and plays him on PP2 and on the 2nd line no matter what. He's been great this year, and Ehlers only has 5 less pts, but 3 more EV/SH pts. Nylander also plays an entire 1:30 per game more than Ehlers.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Biggest difference this year is Nylander has started going to the dirty area's. Most of his goals are net front. Not sure if it is still the case, but it was reported recently he was 2nd in the NHL in goals scored in front of the net.

Ironic..

"Since Sheldon Keefe took over, Nylander has 24 points in 24 games.
His 28 5v5 points on the season rank him 15th in the NHL. That is more than supposed Hart Trophy candidate Jack Eichel. It’s more than Point, Kucherov or Ovechkin.
Nylander has 14 5v5 goals, tied with Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid and MacKinnon.
His 20 goals overall rank him 19th in the NHL.

His 41 points rank him 33rd in the overall scoring race, though it’s worth pointing out that he was not on the first power play unit for half the games so far."

Toronto Maple Leafs: Busting 3 Ridiculous Myths About William Nylander

Did you quote the wrong person? Or did you mean that, although Ehlers has more 5v5 points while having very few PPP (largely because he gets very little PP time per game and exclusively on the second unit which plays ~30 seconds per PP), the difference in point scoring between the two isn't PP usage?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad