Speculation: "Nylander may have to be traded"

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not all that bad of a deal considering Nylander > Nino but both play a very different style game and I could see Nino's physical two-way play being valuable on the Leafs. Dumba > Liljegren more than makes up for Nylander > Nino but considering you'd also have to let Gardiner walk for salary cap reasons it becomes more like:
Tor gains:
Nino
Dumba

Tor loses:
Nylander
Liljegren
Gardiner

This looks less appealing for Toronto fans but isn't the worst trade proposal.

I also see Gardiner as the overpay. I don't know for sure if he will be resigned, but I would want to maybe move him in a separate deal.

I think the deal centred around Nino/Dumba and Willie/Lily is not horrible, but like you said, if some additions were made to that package, it would not be the worst deal I have seen.

Lily becoming a potential 1st pairing is the hard pill to swallow, that would be bad for us lol

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Nylander is beyond over rated, everytime he avoided contact these past playoffs i just quivered, so pathetic and soft. Leafs should trade him for a RHD whatever they can get.

If he is signed to a bridge he is as good as gone within the next couple of years after seeing people like JT get paid 11 million lol.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
In before straight up for a signed Karlsson. That's what they'll think it will take.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nylander is beyond over rated, everytime he avoided contact these past playoffs i just quivered, so pathetic and soft. Leafs should trade him for a RHD whatever they can get.

If he is signed to a bridge he is as good as gone within the next couple of years after seeing people like JT get paid 11 million lol.

Nylander is a good player.....albeit he's being pumped up lately a bit much. He's a good 1RW and potentially 2C pending him proving it if he can beat out a Kadri......albeit Bozak played centre Nylander's whole career. Nylander wouldn't return an equally young top pairing D assuming both signed to market level contracts with same term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Huh? I've already done that! You literally quoted the post that I made where we keep Marleau. I'll make some minor edits to the post for clarity and cut out the pointless bits, but the numbers are the same. I will update Kadri's number to be accurate.

If we add the 2m for the 3 extra roster players that puts the Leafs at 83.85m in total cap. With a 5% escalator, the cap is 83.475, meaning the Leafs are just 375k over. ELC bonuses can be paid out in subsequent years, they don't actually count against the cap that year.

Again, that gives the Leafs a whole lot of options for bringing their cap $'s down, even if Marleau doesn't waive

They can get a defenceman who costs less than 7m, for significant savings.
They can get a few hundred k in discounts across Matthews/Marner/Nylander's contracts and they're under
If the cap goes up 5.5%, they're under

They lose Kapanen, Brown, Hainsey, and Gardiner but add a top pairing RHD.

If they don't add a top pairing RHD and go with the same players as they did for 11th in GA this year, they're also cap compliant

Even in all of these scenarios where everything goes wrong, the Leafs are very close to cap compliant. You really must have a different definition of "big trouble" than I do.
I highly doubt that cap jumps that much. Last season was an outlier. The previous 3 seasons the cap went up by $2.4M, 1.6M, 2.0M. I think $83M is more likely.

I hadn't noticed that you had fired Kapanen into the sun. That gives them a bit more room. Keeping Marleau, Kapanen and Johnsson and replacing Gardiner with a $6M defenseman, and filling the rest of the roster with bottom-level salaries puts the Leafs at around $82.5M before bonuses. That assumes Marner/Nylander cost $14M and Matthews is at $11M.

They can perhaps manage if they have a big chunk of their roster as untested rookies, or dregs.

It might work, but they have a razor thin margin, and very poor depth on D.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
In before straight up for a signed Karlsson. That's what they'll think it will take.
ZomboMeme 01082018150519.jpg

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not all that bad of a deal considering Nylander > Nino but both play a very different style game and I could see Nino's physical two-way play being valuable on the Leafs. Dumba > Liljegren more than makes up for Nylander > Nino but considering you'd also have to let Gardiner walk for salary cap reasons it becomes more like:
Tor gains:
Nino
Dumba

Tor loses:
Nylander
Liljegren
Gardiner

Though looks really bad for the Leafs if Nylander ends up developing as the best asset in the trade - and a fair chance that ends up happening

I’d like both Wild assets anLOG but I’d pass on that from the Leafs POV.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I highly doubt that cap jumps that much. Last season was an outlier. The previous 3 seasons the cap went up by $2.4M, 1.6M, 2.0M. I think $83M is more likely.

I hadn't noticed that you had fired Kapanen into the sun. That gives them a bit more room. Keeping Marleau, Kapanen and Johnsson and replacing Gardiner with a $6M defenseman, and filling the rest of the roster with bottom-level salaries puts the Leafs at around $82.5M before bonuses. That assumes Marner/Nylander cost $14M and Matthews is at $11M.

They can perhaps manage if they have a big chunk of their roster as untested rookies, or dregs.

It might work, but they have a razor thin margin, and very poor depth on D

Good thing it's only one year! Marleau comes off the books the next year, plus a cap increase in 2020-2021 and the Leafs are in the clear again with a bunch of space. I never said that there wouldn't be a squeeze next year. The squeeze ends up costing us Kapanen, Brown, and Gardiner gets shuffled out instead of added to. But we're going to be playing most of those untested rookies this year as well, so it's not like we won't have a very good handle on what we have. Johnsson, Kapanen, and another depth player like Leivo are going to be regulars all year, so we're not going to be relying entirely on untested rookies. Next year will bring in some more Marlies, but they just won the AHL championship this year, so most Leafs fans are pretty excited for those players to get their chances, they're not just dregs. Would we rather keep Brown and Kapanen if we could? Yeah, but if we're choosing between Nylander or our third liners, we're choosing Nylander every day of the week. One tight year that squeezes some depth and then we're off to the races with our core locked up long term.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Taveres 11
Matthews 11
Marner 8.5
Marleau 6.25

36.75m

Oops ... Forgot about the 7m for Nylander
And then there's that 5.3m that Horton keeps wanting to be paid that counts against the cap.

Marner isnt getting 8.5. Pastrnak got 6.67 with more goals/pts in less games
Marleaus 6.25 will be 1.25 cash. that will be moved to a team with cap space looking for a 25+g vet for cheap.

Tavares 11
Matthews 11
Marner 7.5
Nylander 6.5

Hortons hit is irrelavant. it gets moved to ltir if they are in cap troube. so yeah thats 36 million...including willy

you honestly think this team cant build a contender out of the 45+ space they have after that when the cap hits 81-82 next year? They dont have another guy making more than5....keep dreamin bud

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Yea because that worked out for Edmonton so well right? Thinking like this is why the date 1967 is in your username.

You'd think people would learn by now but no

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Just do the math on salary cap for next season, signing Matthews, Marner and Nylander for $25 million, and Kapanen and Johnsson for another $4 million. Not much cap room left to fill out the rest of the roster, especially if they want to strengthen the D.

wait..you are pencilling kap and johnson to get 2 mil each before either has even hity double digit points?

Jankowski just got 1.675 and he had 17 goals.....

Marner,Matthews,Nylander at 25 is reasonable. Kap and Johnsson will be 3 tops.
Gardiner and Hainsey gone is a +7. Marleaus 6.25 hit with only 1.25 real cash will also be gone. Liljegren probably makes the team

thats brings them to about 64.5 with 9 forwards,4 D, and a G

if the cap is 81-82ish, they will have the money to spend on a top 4 D and fill in the gaps

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's amazing how much traction the word "may" can get you, no matter how little supporting evidence there may be for your idea.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

That is another myth that permeates through HF

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Tor gains:
Nino
Dumba

Tor loses:
Nylander
Liljegren
Gardiner

Having seen Liljegren play with the marlies and what is potential could be no way Liljegren is going anywhere; especially for an overrated D-man like Dumba

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Correction

People WANT it to be a story, even a BS one.

Us trading away core players is magical to other posters, it's like christmas day and a birthday surprise all rolled into one giant wet dream for them.
Actually, the wet dream is thinking your gonna keep all 3 and somhow mange to bring in the other players your team needs to take that next step. Signing Taveres was the wrong move for the Leafs. If you already had a team capable of advancing past the 1st round and a prospect pool that wasn't ranked 28th and you were just that one missing piece away than I would have loved that signing. Truthfully all you guys did is replace the points you lost in UFA. Im not trying to knock down your team. But it would have made more sense for Vancouver to sign him. We have what you don't. a ton of very good prospects and a ton of contracts coming off the books. We can sign the best UFA next year The Leafs IMO will be the next Sharks. Good enough to get to the playoffs. But not a very good pipeline to fill voids considering you have no money after this year. Lily is never going to be a Hughes or a Bovqist. He may never even play fulltime in the NHL. At this point Even trading Willy won't help much. Since the guy you get back will cost just as much. And sadly not many teams will trade a top 2 RHD for a 61 point winger.

I hope im wrong. I would love nothing more than to see the leafs and Canucks play for the cup. More likely than not. Especially if we trade Edler and Tanev plus a few more. were going to finish pretty close to the bottom. Look at the top 7 or 8 centers in this draft. If the Canucks land Jack or Turcotte or Cozens Kirby Krebs etc. Plus whoever we get for the players we trade. No matter how much anyone hates Vancouver. Nobody with any hockey sense will deny how good they will be.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
you have jake G and Ron H falling off the roster next year thats 7.05 mil, then you have marleu and horton coming off the books the year after thats 11.55mil plus you have 13 mil in cap right now. Just bridge nylander and pay him in 3 years simple. Armstrong has been doing this for years
Besides Horton. All those players will have to be replaced. So, in reality, Horton's money is really the only relief. Leafs no matter what the fans think, I'll take what the scouts say anyday. Have a terrible prospect pool. The Marlies didn't win because of their young talent. They won with the league max vets and a 25-year-old career AHL goalie. Lily in 5 redrafts that I've seen has him going in the 3rd round. Kap is what he is. 24 and still not able to make it full time. Dermott got exposed the more he played. The simple fact is they are ranked 28th. Any improvements once they get some cap room will have to be used in July. They should have stuck to the plan and not got greedy after making the playoffs 2 years in a row. Them and the Oilers are looking like another rebuild won't be far away. Problem is. The Leafs won't be bad enough to get any lottery picks. Ask Vancouver how it was to pick in the bottom ten for 13 years. For god's sake, Nic Jenson was our best prospect.BTW who will replace Jake and Hainsey? Not a lot of top 4 D hit July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->