Proposal: Nylander for Bertuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The problem with Nylander's contract was the negotiation.

Gave Matthews and Marner all the ammo they needed to trample over Dubas.

Reactions: FMichael

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
30-40 goal scorers for 6.7 mil ??
A one time 31 goal scorer for 6.9. His deal is fine for what kind of player he is, but you guys act like its some crazy steal. Evander Kane is a 30 goal scorer who also provides physicality and he makes 7. I would not call his contract amazing or a steal but its fine value.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Kapanen career high playing with elite players: 44pts in 78 games

Bertuzzi career high playing with non-elite players on offensively challenged teams and offering a whole lot more to the game: 48pts in 71 games

One is a much better player than the other. Nylander is the better player than Bert but it isnt as far off as Leaf fans like to believe

Kapanen - 1.9 points/60 each of the last 2 seasons.
Bertuzzi - 2.1 and 1.8 points/60 each of the last two seasons.
Also wonder about the linemate argument
Bert played 821 minutes with Larkin.
Kapanen's top linemater were Kerfoot (521 minutes) and Spezza (235 minutes).

Not saying I think Kapanen is as good as Bertuzzi, but I wonder how he'd do with Bert's minutes.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
A one time 31 goal scorer for 6.9. His deal is fine for what kind of player he is, but you guys act like its some crazy steal. Evander Kane is a 30 goal scorer who also provides physicality and he makes 7. I would not call his contract amazing or a steal but its fine value.
I get what youre saying but Kane is also 5 years older than Nylander, so there isnt as much potential for his growth there.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I bet Leafs counter with Nylander for Mantha (something I’ve wondered myself for sometime if it would be a fit).

Would fulfil a need for both teams imo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This makes zero sense. Dubas did not cave on Nylander ask for an 8.5m contract (Draistl equivalent). They agreed on terms 3 minutes before the noon deadline.

After Nylander literally called Dubas and said he wants to get a deal done... If anything, Nylander caved.

Reactions: Petrus

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Thats fair, Im not sure I see Nylander getting more opportunity than he already gets, but if he has a secret gear thats going to be great for the leafs.

Nylander under Keef’s coaching is a significantly different player. I think he has the potential to be 35g-40g and 35a-45a with Keefe as the coach.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If the premise of this deal is that Nylander has a bad contract, then there is no deal. Nylander is nowhere near a bad contract. Even if he plateaus at what he is right now, he is fair value at the absolute worst.

Reactions: HomelessPepper

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This makes zero sense. Dubas did not cave on Nylander ask for an 8.5m contract (Draistl equivalent). They agreed on terms 3 minutes before the noon deadline.

Imagine thinking Nylander's the one who got screwed over, getting a million more than Larkin and Ehlers at the last second, from a team who was top 3 in scoring without him. :laugh:

Reactions: TS Quint

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

After Nylander literally called Dubas and said he wants to get a deal done... If anything, Nylander caved.

But come on guys telling the truth won't add to the HF boards Anti-Maple Leaf Narrative Agenda. Some of these people need to make their lives better by making up crap about the Leafs.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, everybody in Toronto can convince themselves those Matthews and Marner deals aren't bad, but everybody outside that bubble is watching you lose in the first round every year because you can't afford any depth.
I am nowhere near Toronto, so I have no idea what they are, or what the are not convincing themselves of. I don't know what you are convincing yourself of. In rest of the world, the contracts are fine. Every year is different.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I am nowhere near Toronto, so I have no idea what they are, or what the are not convincing themselves of. I don't know what you are convincing yourself of. In rest of the world, the contracts are fine. Every year is different.

tenor.gif

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You know what’s a closer deal? Nylander for Bertuzzi and Larkin.
The disrespect towards Bertuzzi is off the charts. I continue to hold my opinion that he's currently one of the NHLs most underrated players.
I think Larkin is the better player but if you are going by points/PPG then Nylander has a slight lead there.
Also Larkin gets 1st line minutes and 1st line PP. If I am not mistaken Nylander gets 2nd line minutes and 2PP. So the better team issue balances out.
Larkin is also always going up against the best players on the better team, always facing the best defenders, since Larkin's line is the only scoring threat AND Larkin is the only Detroit forward capable of potentially shutting down the top players on the other team.

Having a 2nd line role can be beneficial to scoring numbers.

30-40 goal scorers for 6.7 mil ??
Nylande is a 30-40 goal scorer after one 30 goal season?

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
bert doesnt get love because:
1. the wings sucks so people feel hes the best of the worst, same with Larkin and Mantha.
2. They dont see him on sportscenter highlights so they automatically think he's barely a top 6 guy
3. truth be told, most dont even know anything about him.

The kid is a gamer - OHL playoff beast, AHL playoff beast. Memorial cup and AHL champion. Winning pedigree. Sure, go ahead and discredit it. We will gladly keep him and let him help the rebuild.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Kapanen career high playing with elite players: 44pts in 78 games

Bertuzzi career high playing with non-elite players on offensively challenged teams and offering a whole lot more to the game: 48pts in 71 games

One is a much better player than the other. Nylander is the better player than Bert but it isnt as far off as Leaf fans like to believe
Didn't Bertuzzi play on the same line as Larkin and Mantha for most of the year last year?

Kapanen spent most of his time on the 3rd line with players like Kerfoot, Johnsson, Engvall and Mikheyev.

Certainly a difference in quality of linemates there and not to mention Bertuzzi averaged an extra 3 minutes of even strength ice time and an extra 2 minutes of PP ice time per game than Kapanen as well.

Bertuzzi is more physical (Although its not like Kapanen is soft) but Kapanen is likely a better PK and better on the forcheck and backcheck due to his speed.

Not saying Bertuzzi isn't a good player but he is definitely far closer to Kapanen than he is to Nylander.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Thats fair, Im not sure I see Nylander getting more opportunity than he already gets, but if he has a secret gear thats going to be great for the leafs.
after Keefe took over, Nylander played at a 42 goal and 77 point pace. Have to see if he can somewhat maintain going into next year.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I like Bertuzzi. He's a old school kinda player. That being said, I would rather hang onto Nylander. Bertuzzi and Larkin will help Detroit turn the corner soon.

Maybe Canucks are interested?

Reactions: TS Quint

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Imagine thinking Nylander's the one who got screwed over, getting a million more than Larkin and Ehlers at the last second, from a team who was top 3 in scoring without him. :laugh:

Can you show me where I stated “Nylander is the one who got screwed over”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad