egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
W/O Auston & Willy: 14gms, 47gls --- 3.36gpg
With just Auston: 14gms, 55gls -------- 3.93gpg
With both of them: 10gms, 42gls ------- 4.20gpg

Are you seriously implying that Nylander is the reason the GF have gone up in the last 10 games?

Put Willy with JT and Marner with AM for a spell. If Willy comes back well, no one will question whether he is being carried by AM

What did JT ever do to you? :laugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Are you seriously implying that Nylander is the reason the GF have gone up in the last 10 games?

What did JT ever do to you? :laugh:

not just the goals, but possession as well.

we've been dominant since his return.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
with all the stats available, if you look hard enough, you can find stats to support any opinion.

it's up to the reader to determine if the stats fit the narrative, or instead, an agenda.

Too true. And to prove it

In the same 10 games @zeke used to "prove" Nylander has been a difference maker, Hyman has been suspended and injured.

In those 10 games:

With Hyman 3 gms 10gls ......3.33 gpg
Without Hyman 7 gms 35 gls..... 5.0 gpg

So I'll counter with...... adding Nylander hasn't been a difference maker, losing Hyman has
:sarcasm:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Without Hyman we don't have anyone playing top 6 who isn't a pure offensive threat.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
To highlight Nylander's goal scoring struggles which probably is a result of his hold out ... Tyler Bozak has more goals than Nylander. Bozak has something like 1 goal, but like 4 in garbage time when the game was already loss.

Nylander is in a slump when he can't buy one in garbage time!

That's why when you shell out the big bucks, you better see some goals.

:dunce:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Interesting you mention this.

Marner did a small bulk to enter last season and he looked and played how Nylander is playing now.

After he got into game shape and found chemistry with Kadri.....well I don't need to explain further.

There was a point last season where Nylander was the "now" Marner and Marner was the "now" Nylander.

Massive contradiction when you consider the love for Marner but hate for Nylander.

At their best you can't even tell them a part.
Is this a joke?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I don't know exactly which part about that that bothers you but I remember very clearly going into last season Nylander was almost universally considered the better asset. There's certainly been a reversal of fortunes.
Until Marner was placed on a decent line and recorded 1.13 PPG for the rest of the year. He is now over a 90 point player for longer than 82 regular season games.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This has nothing to do with Nylander's current struggles but theoretically, if Dubas promised Nylander he wouldn't be traded, is there a point when Dubas can renege if he continues to struggle without it being a screw job?

As in, "You said you wouldn't trade me."

"I know but you weren't supposed to suck."

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Until Marner was placed on a decent line and recorded 1.13 PPG for the rest of the year. He is now over a 90 point player for longer than 82 regular season games.

Agreed but there was certainly a point last season where Nylander was seen as the supeesup player.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
JT will play well with anyone or no one.

He has made guys like PA Parenteau and Matt Moulson look like stars. I'd try Nylander with him. We have nothing to lose and we know Marner is spectacular with Kadri. Tavares is the best passing center on the team and WN has the best chance to get going with him imo.

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Agreed but there was certainly a point last season where Nylander was seen as the supeesup player.
I think we can all agree that Nylander is progressing far slower to a decent level of play than expected...let alone good. He has registered 2 assists in 40 goals. Bad luck will only explain things so far. I hope he is getting the help he needs away from games to fix this.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I think we can all agree that Nylander is progressing far slower to a decent level of play than expected...let alone good. He has registered 2 assists in 40 goals. Bad luck will only explain things so far. I hope he is getting the help he needs away from games to fix this.
That might work but Matthews with Marner is what the fans want to see for a spell. Let AM & MM draw the toughest Dmen away from JT and Nylander and lets see some points

Reactions: luvdahattymatty

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Nylander is playing the way Kessel used to when he was in a slump. Casual flybys on loose pucks, streaks down the wing on a rush, does a little curl, maybe loses the puck, but certainly puts himself out of dangerous scoring areas. Doesn't distribute the puck to a teammate who may have a better scoring opportunity.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't know exactly which part about that that bothers you but I remember very clearly going into last season Nylander was almost universally considered the better asset. There's certainly been a reversal of fortunes.
No that was only among Nylander supporters no one else thought Nylander was better ever. Marner got more points playing with hot garbage as line mates. Nylander had less points playing with Mathews.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Nylander is playing the way Kessel used to when he was in a slump. Casual flybys on loose pucks, streaks down the wing on a rush, does a little curl, maybe loses the puck, but certainly puts himself out of dangerous scoring areas. Doesn't distribute the puck to a teammate who may have a better scoring opportunity.

This. And for people saying Marner was always considered better, that is some revisionist history right there. Will and Mitch were definitely competing neck and neck, especially for the fan vote, up until last December or so. That's when Marner took off and shook free of the notion that he is too small to succeed in the Chel. Meanwhile, Willie has only strengthened the reputation he had coming into the draft, namely his entitled and lazy, soft attitude. Man lacks intensity and needs to play with more heart, and his critics have been pointing this out for years. Just like Marner, he needs to face his critics head on to prove them wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->