Nylander first goal prediction

How will Willy score his first goal?

• Total voters

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I really hope that this is a great learning lesson for the Leafs fans out there who said that the idea of players sitting out part of the season and having bad statistical seasons who a notion that was false.

IF you are a leafs fan that thought Nylander was going to just show up and starting scoring 3 months into the season then you know LESS THAN ZERO!

Nylander is all but useless for the whole entire season.

I just hope he can get up to speed and play like his old self by the time the playoffs role around.

This is why you force holdouts to sit. We overpaid and get poor value. Poor investment, if I owned the team I would never do it again.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
With the Leafs clinging to a 2-goal lead with less than 60 seconds remaining in the game, Babcock sends Nylander over the bench to pot an empty netter for his first goal of the season.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Nylander had a solid game. He was first man back for his line on majority of the shifts. Basically trapped Columbus whenever he was on. Had zero points but no chance that line was going to give up any either.

Probably won't be a long term thing but good to see he's making himself useful while not being 100%.

But of course let's gang up on the guy and talk about that one shift he fell down.

You guys must be jealous of his hair or something. The grudge makes no sense.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Willy might be another month to get back up to NHL game shape. He looks a lot heavier to me. Needs to drop a few pounds to increase his speed. But by mid February no one will care and he will be back to being Willy.

Reactions: crump

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
This is why you force holdouts to sit. We overpaid and get poor value. Poor investment, if I owned the team I would never do it again.

i agree. I would have let him sit. The Leafs were prepared to as well from what I hear, but Nylander called close to the deadline and wanted to get something done.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
W/O Auston & Willy: 14gms, 47gls --- 3.36gpg
With just Auston: 14gms, 55gls -------- 3.93gpg
With both of them: 10gms, 42gls ------- 4.20gpg

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Nylander had a solid game. He was first man back for his line on majority of the shifts. Basically trapped Columbus whenever he was on. Had zero points but no chance that line was going to give up any either.

Probably won't be a long term thing but good to see he's making himself useful while not being 100%.

But of course let's gang up on the guy and talk about that one shift he fell down.

You guys must be jealous of his hair or something. The grudge makes no sense.

If he continues this that would be fantastic.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Been 10 games and his production is awful. This guy actually held out wanting more money than he got? He is vastly overpaid...should have just traded him for good D prospect.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Been 10 games and his production is awful. This guy actually held out wanting more money than he got? He is vastly overpaid...should have just traded him for good D prospect.

You are lucky you have the privilege of posting some criticism about him.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He scores against the Islanders tonight which starts a 3 game goal scoring streak.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
You are lucky you have the privilege of posting some criticism about him.
Out of curiosity, who Is this good d prospect that was available? Don’t say Pesce lol only on 3-4 teams is willy not a top 3 skill forward getting 18+ minutes a night. We happen to be one of those teams. You don’t be trade a guy like that for a 3-4 d man. Also do you take the chance a prospect becomes a top 2 d or the guarantee of an excellent forward (calling him otherwise is extremely ignorant).

The goals will come for him. Just because he didn’t take your home town discount deal doesn’t mean he’s any less of a player. He’s on a cold stretch, that’s it.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
4A8E1A97-FBCD-4F70-BDF1-00485DCEFF5F.jpeg
7F3C977C-E99A-405C-B144-6B65B5584004.jpeg

Meanwhile, Nylander has lots of hair.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Please tell me that his possession stats are sublime because his point totals are garbage.

This is a professional league. One were you must produce results.

A player agent might convince you that his posts and cross bars mean that he's playing up to his contract, but some restless fans might disagree.

Reactions: BM14

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Please tell me that his possession stats are sublime because his point totals are garbage.

This is a professional league. One were you must produce results.

A player agent might convince you that his posts and cross bars mean that he's playing up to his contract, but some restless fans might disagree.

its like people forget nylander and brown/kadri has never played well together despite this being the 3rd year of this crappy line continually coming back

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
its like people forget nylander and brown/kadri has never played well together despite this being the 3rd year of this crappy line continually coming back
Put Willy with JT and Marner with AM for a spell. If Willy comes back well, no one will question whether he is being carried by AM

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Gramps here. Willy might be another month to get back up to NHL game shape. He looks a lot heavier to me. Needs to drop a few pounds to increase his speed. But by mid February no one will care and he will be back to being Willy.

Interesting you mention this.

Marner did a small bulk to enter last season and he looked and played how Nylander is playing now.

After he got into game shape and found chemistry with Kadri.....well I don't need to explain further.

There was a point last season where Nylander was the "now" Marner and Marner was the "now" Nylander.

Massive contradiction when you consider the love for Marner but hate for Nylander.

At their best you can't even tell them a part.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

I was highly critical of Nylander during the hold out and I believe we overpaid him by some 1M on AAV considering it's only 6 years. However I DON'T think it was mistake signing him.

The choice came down to pay him 1M AAV over what we wanted to pay him vs letting him sit out the year. When you look at the structure, this contract is so easy to trade because it only pays him 5M per year after this year in real money. Some cheap team will love this. A 22 year old 60 point player with lots of perceived upside signed for 6 years and only costs 5M per in real money. If we had let him sit out we wouldn't have the asset for this year and we have lots of cap room so why let him sit?

So we overpay him in a year where we have tons of cap space, we have the asset, and he's easily trade-able in the off season if we want to. It all seems like an easy choice to just sign him. You get the asset for the year. If he sits out the entire year we end up trading him anyway in the off season and we wasted having him contribute for a year. Way easier to work out a trade in the off season then now. And I don't think a bad half year (if it comes to that) will affect his trade value that much. Teams will blame it on the hold out and say he'll revert to at least the 60 point player with upside he was before the hold out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad