Nylander Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
fact of the matter is he wasn't good last year, hasn't been very good this year, each time we discuss how good he was on his entry level deal that becomes further and further from the present day WN, and therefore less relevant, but I could be wrong?

He had a uneven season last year for sure.

But youre absolutely wrong if youre claiming hes been bad for most of this season . He and Matthews were the teams top forwards for the first 2/3rds of the season -especially at even strength.

Hes had a couple bad games over the last few, but that suddenly doesnt erase his play earlier.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Good Willie playing with same linemates (AM and AJ) has put up 3 goals and 6 assists in 15 games. Bad Marner, now playing without his two linemates (JT and ZH) has 17 points in 15 games. Time to stop comparing Willie to Marner.
yup, Team Nylander are running out of excuses, he's playing with Mathews and getting #1 PP minutes yet still struggles, I'm sure there are some stats to refute this so I could be wrong?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Good Willie playing with same linemates (AM and AJ) has put up 3 goals and 6 assists in 15 games. Bad Marner, now playing without his two linemates (JT and ZH) has 17 points in 15 games. Time to stop comparing Willie to Marner.
That time passed long ago. The only thing that they share in common is that they both abused Dubas during contract negotiations to get far more than their peers got.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Why does AJ always get left out of the equation? Same points as Willie, same PP total, on the same line and defensively responsible? It’s always Matthews and Nylander were so great, for my money AJ has been every bit as good as Willie, hardly a passenger.

It’s clear Willy needs to put up or SHUT THE **** UP!!! He’s playing like a 3.4M player, pretty undeniable. If he can’t at least regain his rookie form we need to ship him out.

Not to mention Matthews has shown he doesn’t need him. Like at all.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why does AJ always get left out of the equation? Same points as Willie, same PP total, on the same line and defensively responsible? It’s always Matthews and Nylander were so great, for my money AJ has been every bit as good as Willie, hardly a passenger.
this, same as Hyman:

images

images

images

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
With better hands, he can keep plays going and start them.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd take a team of Dale Hunters over all this "elite" talent everyday of the week, and twice on Sundays.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m not with or not with you per say, just curious as to what you would tell Babs in his exit interview?

“So why are you letting me go”?

Again, on your side :)
the kids don't like you?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
there is simply no excuse for a player who plays as well as Mathews does to also play as badly as Mathews does.
And I don't think he's even scratched the surface of how good he could really be.

I am starting to really think that the reason they don't go full out all the time is that they never get rewarded. Think about it, you try your hardest in the D-zone for the first couple of years with Babs...and you get nothing extra..no extra PP time...no extra 5-5 time...just nothing. So if you think you are busting your ass...and the coach doesn't see/respect your effort...they start to think "What's the point?" and go around on cruise control.

We know that Willy and AM can play much better in all zones...but they seem to have stopped for some reason. Either its the reward thing I just mentioned or they feel his system is just plain stupid and doesn't work for them. Either way, it's not going to go away when JT and Hyman come back for AM and Willy. I think they are just playing well enough not to have the finger pointed at them for being the reason the team is crap...but badly enough that everyone will question the coach and get him fired eventually.

You never really saw Babs make excuses before this season when it came to schedule or injuries...this year he seems to have quite the laundry list of why they haven't been up to snuff. He realizes the team has had enough.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd take a team of Dale Hunters over all this "elite" talent everyday of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Id suggest thats how a fairly sizeable portion of the fanbase always views the team. Hence why the most skilled guys tend to always get the bulk of criticisms no matter ehich era of the Leafs we talk about.

The vitriol thrown at Kessel probably a classic example of that attitude

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I am starting to really think that the reason they don't go full out all the time is that they never get rewarded. Think about it, you try your hardest in the D-zone for the first couple of years with Babs...and you get nothing extra..no extra PP time...no extra 5-5 time...just nothing. So if you think you are busting your ass...and the coach doesn't see/respect your effort...they start to think "What's the point?" and go around on cruise control.

We know that Willy and AM can play much better in all zones...but they seem to have stopped for some reason. Either its the reward thing I just mentioned or they feel his system is just plain stupid and doesn't work for them. Either way, it's not going to go away when JT and Hyman come back for AM and Willy. I think they are just playing well enough not to have the finger pointed at them for being the reason the team is crap...but badly enough that everyone will question the coach and get him fired eventually.

You never really saw Babs make excuses before this season when it came to schedule or injuries...this year he seems to have quite the laundry list of why they haven't been up to snuff. He realizes the team has had enough.
I have millions of reasons to disagree with this opinion...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad