Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Did anyone else hear that the leafs are in talks with 15-20 other teams about possibly trading Nylander? I saw it on Reddit, and the person who posted about it has been known to break other news (about the Flames) before official release (Brouwer buyout, Hamilton trade and Lindholm extension)

you really think that could happen and only some guy on Reddit knew about it?

member 300185

If Leafs play hardball, they lose Nylander for a few days/weeks until he signs. If Leafs cave and give Nylander a rich deal, they lose an elite player next year because they won't be able to sign both Matthews and Marner without moving someone expensive (all the Leafs expensive players are pretty good - save for Zaitsev).

The Leafs are absolutely making the logical move by playing hardball and not caving. They need to do what works for the franchise, even if it means the contract dispute goes on for a bit.
^
This

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You don't think the Leafs would match $7M? Lmao.

Easy to bet on something that definitely won't have the opportunity to happen.

I want in on the action then...because you'd lose.

I want in on this you'd lose

If you think they would, you must believe there is still room for Toronto to sign Both Marner and Mathews next year. Im thinking they wouldnt have enough space and cant give Willie 7, so they wouldnt match.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If you think they would, you must believe there is still room for Toronto to sign Both Marner and Mathews next year. Im thinking they wouldnt have enough space and cant give Willie 7, so they wouldnt match.

Okay, so what happens next...Leafs hope Nylander caves in ? And what if Nylander is stubborn and doesn't ? They trade him ? Reading this forum, one thing is sure, not a single Leafs fan thinks Nylander could be traded. I don't agree.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Okay, so what happens next...Leafs hope Nylander caves in ? And what if Nylander is stubborn and doesn't ? They trade him ? Reading this forum, one thing is sure, not a single Leafs fan thinks Nylander could be traded. I don't agree.
Rather than offer sheet I'm thinking a team or 2 are trying to workout a trade. We either play hardball and hope Willie caves, or we make a trade. It will be up to Dubas. there will be no offer sheet though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

So you honestly think that in the 3 hour meeting that Tavares had with Toronto before he signed with Toronto that he didn't have any questions? most notably how the core would be kept together? You honestly think that wasn't discussed?

If Tavares signing posed any threat to keeping Nylander Marner and Matthews Tavares wouldn't be here, he's here to play WITH them

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So you honestly think that in the 3 hour meeting that Tavares had with Toronto before he signed with Toronto that he didn't have any questions? most notably how the core would be kept together? You honestly think that wasn't discussed?

If Tavares signing posed any threat to keeping Nylander Marner and Matthews Tavares wouldn't be here, he's here to play WITH them
oh please you cant guarantee Tavares anything like you're suggesting. All Dubas could say is we will try and we will spend to the cap. If Willie Mathews and Marner wanted 30 million a year together you think jt would say "you promised"?

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011

Who are you talking to? You can't use a meeting where we have to idea what was said to shut down any speculation ...

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Not sure why there is so much talk about this. Has there ever been an RFA who has not signed his contract right away? How much power did those guys have over their organizations?

Nylander has little to no options if he wants to continue to play in the NHL. He will either sign what the Leafs want him to sign or he'll sit and watch the team most likely win without him. He hasn't even asked for a trade and when you look at RFA's who have done that in the past even those guys eventually signed what was given to them.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

For sure most players don't spend their whole careers with on team. I hope Crosby and Ovechkin do. There are some others, but most players play for at least one more team in their careers. Crosby and Ovi have cups so they do not have to go elsewhere to try to win one.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It is completely possible that Nylander gets traded. I think it is not very likely, but not beyond the realm of possibility. If any GM were to make an offer hugely lopsided in the Leafs favor, he will be traded. There are other possibilities as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Who are you talking to? You can't use a meeting where we have to idea what was said to shut down any speculation ...

I can use logic and it's not logical to suggest that neither Tavares nor his agent asked how the core would be kept together, unless you believe they are idiots nor is it logical to think that the Leafs have signed Tavares if there was any legitimate threat to keeping Nylander Marner and Matthews

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
It is completely possible that Nylander gets traded. I think it is not very likely, but not beyond the realm of possibility. If any GM were to make an offer hugely lopsided in the Leafs favor, he will be traded. There are other possibilities as well.

I would hope whenever a team calls with a 'hugely lopsided' offer the Leafs take it.
No one should be seen as untradable.

Saying that, the value Nylander provides to a team that needs offence is probably equal to what we need back on defense AND we would need to then hope Ennis can be at least a serviceable top 6 guy this year.

Detroit could use another young piece. Top line of Zadina-Larkin-Nylander could be fun as hell.
Mantha/Svechnikov/Lindstrom/Hronek could be part of a tempting package.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Any 20 goal scorers and 60 pointer wingers making over 7m per year?
Toews while not a winger is making $10.5m and hasn't reached 60 pts in 4 years.

Perry can't reach 60 now days for $8.65m, Parise has seen 60 pts once in the last 7 years for $7.5m and lets no forget the train wreck in Bobby Ryan. four more years of $7.25m ...yuck

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Toews while not a winger is making $10.5m and hasn't reached 60 pts in 4 years.

Perry can't reach 60 now days for $8.65m, Parise has seen 60 pts once in the last 7 years for $7.5m and lets no forget the train wreck in Bobby Ryan. four more years of $7.25m ...yuck
None of them got that out of their ELC deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad