Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Did anyone else hear that the leafs are in talks with 15-20 other teams about possibly trading Nylander? I saw it on Reddit, and the person who posted about it has been known to break other news (about the Flames) before official release (Brouwer buyout, Hamilton trade and Lindholm extension)
Reddit? The website full of reposts and lies? :sarcasm:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Did anyone else hear that the leafs are in talks with 15-20 other teams about possibly trading Nylander? I saw it on Reddit, and the person who posted about it has been known to break other news (about the Flames) before official release (Brouwer buyout, Hamilton trade and Lindholm extension)

If the Leafs had contacted 15-20 teams about trading Nylander, you can be pretty confident a guy like Bob McKenzie would have picked up on it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
6 x 6.75 IMO.

That's a hair over 40 mil and he'll still be able to sign another nice UFA deal (a la, JVR) when he's 28-29.

How many years of RFA does Nylander have left? 4 or 5? I think it's important here in any term to know how many years of UFA is in the contract. I think your 6 year term and AAV is close. However, I am not sure if either the team or Nylander want 6 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Way under 4? Really?

Sam just signed for two years at 3.65 million per year.....Nylander is better then Sam.

Galchenyuk signed for 3 yeas at $4.9M just over a year ago. Nylander gets north of $5M in any term. He has the stats to justify top of the line-up salary. This is why I think a long term deal at $6M is not going to fly. I know Ehlers signed it but Nylander has no interest in a long term team friendly deal.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Thing is Nylander can ask for a given number and Leafs can refuse to give it to him, but who has more to lose ? Nylander who can get what Leafs are offering (6M ballpark) anywhere, any day of the week or the Leafs who are refusing to overpay a bit ?

It's not because Pastarnak and Gaudreault signed team friendly contracts that Nylander HAS to.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Thing is Nylander can ask for a given number and Leafs can refuse to give it to him, but who has more to lose ? Nylander who can get what Leafs are offering (6M ballpark) anywhere, any day of the week or the Leafs who are refusing to overpay a bit ?

It's not because Pastarnak and Gaudreault signed team friendly contracts that Nylander HAS to.

I would say Nylander has more to lose. He's in a very good spot for a young player to be. If Toronto decides to trade him, he loses that.

Toronto can win without Nylander. They won a bunch of games without Matthews and Marner last year. Worst case scenario is we have to deal him, which would be devastating to me, but you know youre getting great value back if you do. A young top 4 D possibly, and perhaps another ELC to work with for a few years.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Did anyone else hear that the leafs are in talks with 15-20 other teams about possibly trading Nylander?

He's a RFA. I'm sure teams are calling and asking, "if you can't sign him and consider moving him, will you give us a call?" I doubt the Leafs are having a phone frenzy, calling half the league in a rush to trade William Nylander lol. If trading Nylander was a priority for them, I think they would have explored Hamilton.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

If Leafs play hardball, they lose Nylander for a few days/weeks until he signs. If Leafs cave and give Nylander a rich deal, they lose an elite player next year because they won't be able to sign both Matthews and Marner without moving someone expensive (all the Leafs expensive players are pretty good - save for Zaitsev).

The Leafs are absolutely making the logical move by playing hardball and not caving. They need to do what works for the franchise, even if it means the contract dispute goes on for a bit.

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Well if Willie can get 6 anytime any day. Please sign one, we will match, problem solved.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
giphy.gif
Kind of obvious.

Some (not all) Leafs fans.

Glad to help.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Well if Willie can get 6 anytime any day. Please sign one, we will match, problem solved.

I can already see the discussion :

Team A to WN Agent's : We're offering 6M for 6years.
WN Agent : No thanks, Leafs are offering that since day 1. Next call.

Out of 30 other teams, most will want to pay 6M like Toronto, but there is always one or two dumb GM's willing to give the moon and the starts in the same deal. Btw, I'm sure Toronto would match even 7M, but they would prefer not to have to.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

Right... except he cant because he is an RFA.

To get Nylander another team would not just have to out-bid the Leafs, but be willing to send the Leafs a boatload of picks back as compensation (1st, 2nd and 3rd if less then 8.1 million, two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd if more). This is why RFAs rarely get offersheeted and why teams like the Leafs absolutely can afford to hard-ball RFAs and generally do not end up overpaying them. Toronto has all the leverage here so why would they be willing to overpay Nylander? Let him sit out some pre-season games and worse comes to worst a regular season game or two... then sign him to a reasonable contract. We have seen this happen many times before with other RFAs. Dubas is right not to fold here.

If another team wants to substantially overpay Nylander on a long term deal and are willing to send back all those picks, then so be it. But I sincerely doubt there is another NHL team willing to pay that price.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would say Nylander has more to lose. He's in a very good spot for a young player to be. If Toronto decides to trade him, he loses that.

Toronto can win without Nylander. They won a bunch of games without Matthews and Marner last year. Worst case scenario is we have to deal him, which would be devastating to me, but you know youre getting great value back if you do. A young top 4 D possibly, and perhaps another ELC to work with for a few years.
And that's the thing too right. Nylander would be the first to get sacrificed. So, why do the team any favours on a contract? They can't promise not to trade you cause they don't have to honour that promise. What matters is what is spelled out in the contract and the Leafs can't give him a NTC for the first 4 years of his contract.

So, why should Nylander help out the Leafs? If they can't agree on a long term deal, do the bridge. See what M&M get first.

Reactions: powerstuck

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
You know hes gonna want no less than 7, that is the going rate for 60 point wingers. Stop trying to be cheap Leafs.
Pastarnak would disagree, so would Ehlers.

Remember: there is a big difference in the balance of power in negotiations between a RFA and a UFA. No team with a GM worth their salt is going to pay a player more then they have to in a salary cap system and the Leafs are no different.

Dubas isn't going to hand out bad contracts to the teams RFAs because fans of other teams want the Leafs to do so; that is how a team ends up like Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->