Speculation: Nylander contract discussion

When do the Leafs announce he has signed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Lol we are not trading Nylander and keeping Marleau, Gardiner, etc. That is such a dumb idea.

We will not make a trade unless we have to which is next summer not this summer.

If we make a trade next summer, we will look at Gardiner walking via UFA, trading Marleau, or trading another piece before we look at moving any of the core 7.

It’s simple prioritization of assets and core pieces people.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lol we are not trading Nylander and keeping Marleau, Gardiner, etc. That is such a dumb idea.

We will not make a trade unless we have to which is next summer not this summer.

If we make a trade next summer, we will look at Gardiner walking via UFA, trading Marleau, or trading another piece before we look at moving any of the core 7.

Well why not trade Gardiner now and asset manage? We have the left defense depth to act now.

That extra cap money trading Gardiner and Willy now buys alot of assets and quality players/ player in return and adds cap efficiency.

Just saying thats all. If willy want Pastrnak money for less than 5 years i would trade him now.

This is getting interesting that he hasn't signed. I don't believe for a second that the hold up is just term. I think its term and money thats being crunched.

Willy might want a big money Bridge deal so he can rack up points with Matthews and want big money for it in a matter of a couple years.

Maybe management is fine with that but i have my doubts they would be. I wouldn't pay him any more than$5,000,000 on a two year bridge deal.

He has to give up Ufa years to earn more per for my thinking. I will be firm on what i think the best deal for both teams is: 7 year term at $6,900,000!!!!

Thats what i expect anyways ;))

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It is beyond stupid to trade a player of Nylander’s skill level, young age and potential for purely cap Reasons. That’s the kind of thing that dumb management groups do. Fortunately the leafs have a good one

Truth be told cap efficiency, draft and development and asset management is always the complete pucture.

That is the Shannyplan in a nutshell. Players can and will price themselves out if they succeed. Thats our reality going forward unfortunately.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well why not trade Gardiner now and asset manage? We have the left defense depth to act now.

That extra cap money trading Gardiner and Willy now buys alot of assets and quality players/ player in return and adds cap efficiency.

Just saying thats all. If willy want Pastrnak money for less than 5 years i would trade him now.

This is getting interesting that he hasn't signed. I don't believe for a second that the hold up is just term. I think its term and money thats being crunched.

Willy might want a big money Bridge deal so he can rack up points with Matthews and want big money for it in a matter of a couple years.

Maybe management is fine with that but i have my doubts they would be. I wouldn't pay him any more than$5,000,000 on a two year bridge deal.

He has to give up Ufa years to earn more per for my thinking. I will be firm on what i think the best deal for both teams is: 7 year term at $6,900,000!!!!

Because trading Jake doesn't make sense. Trading a wing makes more sense and in this case that wing would be Marleau. If we trade Jake we get a 1st and have to go out and get a D which will cost as much or more. If you could trade Jake and Marleau to SJ for a legit D at the position of need with term, perhaps that makes more sense.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Marleau has a NMC. We can't trade him..... ;)). Also a +35 deal that saves nothing on a buyout. Marleau's deal is water tight. He stays for teo more seasons. I don't mind it either because he is in tremendous condition and still scores. I like Marleau.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas said in a scrum with reporters after Friday’s news conference. “I’ve been with William really the whole way through. I’ve seen great growth from him. The one thing with William is he’s very quiet, he just goes about his business, is a great worker off the ice, you never have to question where he’s at. You’ve seen his performance over the last two seasons, he continues to improve on the ice. He’s shown some good versatility and he’s obviously got great chemistry with Auston (Matthews) that’s been great to watch and I think we’re only just scratching the surface with William and I’m excited to see him grow.”

Dubas will have some backtracking to do if he trades Nylander.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Truth be told cap efficiency, draft and development and asset management is always the complete pucture.

That is the Shannyplan in a nutshell. Players can and will price themselves out if they succeed. Thats our reality going forward unfortunately.

While that’s true, that situation doesn’t apply to a guy of Nylander’s caliber on his first post ELC deal.

That’s more for guys like Brown/Gardiner if they ask for significant raises. The second tier guys on the team.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

We have a lot of assets but need more experience coaching and sheltering the kids right now.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Marleau has a NMC. We can't trade him..... ;)). Also a +35 deal that saves nothing on a buyout. Marleau's deal is water tight. He stays for teo more seasons. I don't mind it either because he is in tremendous condition and still scores. I like Marleau.
Lots of NMC get moved, we dont know if Marleau is retiring next season.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Hasn't missed a game in 9 straight seasons, and hasn't shown a decline in production in 3 - Don't see any reason at this point not to think he'll be a Leaf on opening night next year.

zetterberg hasnt missed a game in... 3 seasons? magically completely now unable to play. how odd.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
There’s no direct quote so I’ll take it with a grain of salt but I hope Nylander didn’t actually say that he didn’t know how signing all 3 of himself, Marner and Matthews would work after signing Tavares

I don't get it? So if Nylander leaves contract discussions for his agent and Dubas to handle so that he instead can focus on summer training and becomming a better hockey player, then he can't be on the team and Dubas would not be happy about him saying so? Or am I missing something?

Also why do some people think Nylander is asking for a ridiculous contract like 8-9 million a year?

tokiih

Nov 30, 2017
zetterberg hasnt missed a game in... 3 seasons? magically completely now unable to play. how odd.
Z has missed plenty of games with the national team though. His back issues are well known, at least to Swedes and I'm guessing Red Wings fans too.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

He's also played for only one NHL team, signed a now impossible long-term contract, and won a Cup. Different situation from Marleau in my view.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
I personally would assume that Nylanders contract is taking time because Dubas is at the same time talking to Matthews and Marners agents to try and work out a long term deal for the 3 to fit within the upcoming cap, just like Dubas already said he would. But I can't know this for sure for the obvious reasons.

So since I don't really know what's going on, because I don't have any real insight in the Maple Leafs organisation or the Nylander family, I will instead assume that Nylander is asking for an insane contract waaaay above his very good and long time friend Pastrnaks contract. And that he secretly hates playing for the Maple Leafs, but is hiding it very well from the media.
After all we on this forum can determine that Nylander actually is a selfish little swedish brat just by looking at him on TV.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I understand that trading Willie to get a good Dmen, but if the reason is cap issue, won’t the Dman coming back going to cost the same cap space if not more?

I really think the Leafs are going to model the Pens more than anything.

There's no model..you dont base your team on another. Teams have different type styles and players. Are we eerily similar? Yes..have a top 3 offense, Andersen is Vez caliber goalie and our top D are good it's the middle and last pairs that need a tweak..but maybe Dermott ups his game from last yr and we get lucky on say Igor Oz.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I personally would assume that Nylanders contract is taking time because Dubas is at the same time talking to Matthews and Marners agents to try and work out a long term deal for the 3 to fit within the upcoming cap, just like Dubas already said he would. But I can't know this for sure for the obvious reasons.

So since I don't really know what's going on, because I don't have any real insight in the Maple Leafs organisation or the Nylander family, I will instead assume that Nylander is asking for an insane contract waaaay above his very good and long time friend Pastrnaks contract. And that he secretly hates playing for the Maple Leafs, but is hiding it very well from the media.
After all we on this forum can determine that Nylander actually is a selfish little swedish brat just by looking at him on TV.

Well said my friend. I agree. I've said the whole time I almost guarantee we will be holding a presser announcing Marner, Matthews and Nylander all extended. The Leafs have a knack for making big deal, big press presence type announcements. Like with JT..I know what we were told but I think Dubas knew before Friday, and acted accordingly to steal the biggest headlines on July 1st

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well said my friend. I agree. I've said the whole time I almost guarantee we will be holding a presser announcing Marner, Matthews and Nylander all extended. The Leafs have a knack for making big deal, big press presence type announcements. Like with JT..I know what we were told but I think Dubas knew before Friday, and acted accordingly to steal the biggest headlines on July 1st
Kap will be in the press conference too, lol

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Very high probability he is trying to sign the 3 at once.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Dubas said in a scrum with reporters after Friday’s news conference. “I’ve been with William really the whole way through. I’ve seen great growth from him. The one thing with William is he’s very quiet, he just goes about his business, is a great worker off the ice, you never have to question where he’s at. You’ve seen his performance over the last two seasons, he continues to improve on the ice. He’s shown some good versatility and he’s obviously got great chemistry with Auston (Matthews) that’s been great to watch and I think we’re only just scratching the surface with William and I’m excited to see him grow.”

Dubas will have some backtracking to do if he trades Nylander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad