Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
How much is a low 20 goal scorer with defensive issues going for these days? He scored less goals last year 20 than the year before 22. Is he going to be paid on the potential of being a better goal scorer, what's the risk in that.

Depends whether or not you have a man crush on him.

Reactions: dsred

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I expect all the signings to be a bit lower. I am not sure why you are acting as his agent
This is what I dont get. As fans of the TEAM you'd think we'd all be hoping for reasonable deals for our best players to help keep the core together and contending for a long, long time. But people here care more about whether Willy ends up retiring with more money than he'll ever need, for some reason?

Someone help me out with this one please.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
so, winnipeg has re-signed morrissey.

i was fine with willie missing those three days at training camp, but i really want him to play some pre-season games, to get some routine and chemistry with marleau going (matthews and nylander are fine).

honestly, if the giants win tonight and william signs torromow, that'd be kinda lit.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No one is trying to take Nylander to take a deal worse than all his comparables. And I would suggest if Nylander did as you suggested he would risk being blackballed throughout the league.

Aren't you the dude that said 6.25M × 8? Because if you did that is exceedingly low with a cap over 80M and buying that many UFA years

I expect all the signings to be a bit lower. I am not sure why you are acting as his agent

Oh yes, now explain to me why all our players are taking less than there comparables in the league?

Wait a second if that's true and Nylander is willing to take a haircut why isn't he already signed?

Reactions: Eb

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Aren't you the dude that said 6.25M × 8? Because if you did that is exceedingly low with a cap over 80M and buying that many UFA years
No actually I was arguing that Willie should take a bridge in order to prove he deserves the big bucks. If he performs he'll get them.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No actually I was arguing that Willie should take a bridge in order to prove he deserves the big bucks. If he performs he'll get them.

Prove what exactly?

He's got 2 60 point seasons under his belt and if you think money is tight now try potentially adding another 2M or 3M to Nylander's AAV and tell me how easy it will be to fit under the cap with Tavares Matthews Marner all getting paid full whack

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That's what someone else told me too but I just can't find anything called "Custom Title" anywhere on that page for the life of me. All I see is the avatar, gender, occupation, favorite food etc. nothing about a "Custom Title" nor a "Title". There is a "Status message" box and a "About you" box but nothing even close to a "Custom Title" ma man!!
upload_2018-9-16_20-28-46.png

It could be that you're a newbie... option might become available in about a month.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hypothetical scenario how long can the stalemate last before Willy signs, or starts playing in a Swedish league? Can he do that?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
The point is that Nylander will only take less money if he is guaranteed to be a Leaf for the length of the contract. Which means a NTC. Why take a haircut if he is in Carolina this time next year?

You're not understanding. He can't have a no-trade clause during his RFA years.

I'll put it this way, Nylander can't have any NTC/NMC provisions in his contract until 2022-23, his first year he could logically be a UFA.

The best Nylander could hope for in terms of not being traded next year (or over the next four seasons) is a verbal commitment from Kyle.

Reactions: freshwind

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Prove what exactly?

He's got 2 60 point seasons under his belt and if you think money is tight now try potentially adding another 2M or 3M to Nylander's AAV and tell me how easy it will be to fit under the cap with Tavares Matthews Marner all getting paid full whack

60 point season isn't THAT impressive... Marchessault is > 60 point guy... he just signed for 5 mil / season...

Reactions: dsred

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You're not understanding. He can't have a no-trade clause during his RFA years.

I'll put it this way, Nylander can't have any NTC/NMC provisions in his contract until 2022-23, his first year he could logically be a UFA.

The best Nylander could hope for in terms of not being traded next year (or over the next four seasons) is a verbal commitment from Kyle.

Exactly... and in signing a 'sweetheart' deal, that will only entice the Leafs to keep him, rather than trading him...

Last edited:
Reactions: mcinnesja

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
[It could be that you're a newbie... option might become available in about a month.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that must be it. I don't get that option yet. Newbie @ 53 soon to be 54 lol . Thx for the help though fellow Gatineauian :thumbu:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
60 point season isn't THAT impressive... Marchessault is > 60 point guy... he just signed for 5 mil / season...

Marchessault did that at age 26. And he's only done it once. He probably is what he is.

Nylander is 21. He's accomplished the feat twice.

The number of players to put up his level of performance in their first 185 games played is very impressive. MacKinnon, Giroux, Draisaitl, Kucherov, Benn, Kuznetsov, Kessel, Seguin.

Reactions: Eb

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
It sucks if he ends up missing the start of the season, but if it results in 500k of savings each year (and a lower baseline for Marner negotiations) then its definitely worth it. This team will make the playoffs with/without willy. They need him in the playoffs, not games 1-10 or whatever he could end up missing. Leverage is with Dubas and co.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Marchessault was 26 and has 1 60 point season, he's a good player but he's significantly older with less of a track record scoring over 60 points
He's not a reasonable comparable to use

Reactions: Liminality

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Marchessault was 26 and has 1 60 point season, he's a good player but he's significantly older with less of a track record scoring over 60 points
He's not a reasonable comparable to use

Bottom line is 20G 60P players are nothing to brag about... Nylander is a little bit of a wild card here...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Oh yes, now explain to me why all our players are taking less than there comparables in the league?

Wait a second if that's true and Nylander is willing to take a haircut why isn't he already signed?
Some players are over paid and some are under. Tavares signed for less with the leafs than elsewhere. There are a lot of players that do that. Truth is that the so-called haircut is less than the reported overpayment Willy is looking for. I want the team to be able to sign all their good players. If that means he sulks for a bit, I'm ok that he sits until he feels like lacing them on again. If He asks for a trade, I would oblige him provided the leafs can get a fair deal.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
No, lol... he'd be a 20 goal, 70 point player if you round... Last 40 games of the campaign, Marner paced for about 35 goals.
well he's basically a 65 point player if you include last year. so 60 point player = nothing special. 65 point player = elite core piece

Reactions: Walshy7

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Currently in their careers:
Matthews PPG = .92
Marner PPG = .82
Nylander PPG = .73
And Marner is a year younger...Does anyone truly see a 60 point season this year, if so PM me and we can work out some bets...I promise attractive odds, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->