Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
how do you think Willie would look/produce on a line with Bergeron/Marchand instead of Mathews/10 thumbs ?
About the same as Ehlers would.
So probably a good idea for him to hold out and ask for a new contract because he doesn’t play for them.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Leafs problems kind of inherently become his problems when he is negotiating a contract with the Leafs I would think though.

Not really, if he's forced to sit/force his way out because we can't recompense him properly it's on us (unless he wants something crazy) and is going to hurt our ability to win badly

Reading is an issue or not being able to conceptualizer what I said. It happens on all teams and has nothing to do with JT. Nylander slots in as our 5th most important player yet they will pay him more then our 4th because he signed earlier and took a discount. Nylander is not being offered a low ball contract if the numbers being discussed are true. It is right in line with his comparable and slots him in with in our internal cap structure. Marner will slot in above him as will Mathews.

The only numbers that count are his points totals, what the cap has risen to, his comparables and how many years on the contract

Saying he's our 5th most important forward means nothing, if you try lowballing with that reason this negotiation is going to turn into a **** show and he will try to force his way out

If 6.25M over 8 years is true he's being lowballed and I wouldn't hold it against him if he wants to sit and wait

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That’s fine be bitter that people are better than you at something. I don’t think athletes should make the money they make, but they do so being mad that athletes of your favourite team aren’t willing to take less money than they are worth seems kind of pointless no? Anyway each to their own
:pcheer::pcheer::pcheer::pcheer::pcheer:

Reactions: Walshy7

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wonder if one of the things holding up this contract is a NTC or NMC. If I'm Nylander I'm not taking any sort of discount without a NTC.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
I wonder if one of the things holding up this contract is a NTC or NMC. If I'm Nylander I'm not taking any sort of discount without a NTC.

Can't imagine this would be a sticking point for Dubas.

An NTC/NMC would only be applicable during his UFA years.

as stated here willie cannot get a ntc in this deal prior to his turning 27 years old... cba does not allow it... this is a real issue against taking a "team discount" deal.... take a discount and get traded in a couple of years ... it is the reason that if i was willie i would say pay me on a long term, or a bridge for 3 years .... i know the anti-nylander camp think he is being unreasonable, but there are no guarantees in life so without a ntc it is a giant leap of faith to trust management ... hell, dubas could get fired in a couple of years and where does that leave a handshake agreement.... cross the t's and dot the i's... bridge it if need be ...

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC
Anyone else find these friendly debates a little disturbing when the opposing posters need to make statements like ‘you’re out to lunch’ or ‘you’re crazy if you think...’... I mean, can you not respect differing opinions in a rebuttal?

Makes this forum environment seem uninviting and unfriendly

Thank you.
I registered couple of days ago and re-visited this discussion to see any development on the Willie front only to find folks still at each other’s throats.

I thought we were supposed to be all Kumbayay this season rolling in our new cat-nip:towel:
Come on fellow Leafers, have faith in our brilliant management. I am sure they got things under control and I am sure Willie boy will make it all up to us a month into the season.

Now, can someone please let me know how you smart folks change your “Registered user” thingy under your avatars. Someone mentioned something about changing it in the setting the other day but I couldn’t find anything there to change, and then his and my posts went poof all of sudden. I hope the forum gods are not that strict!
Many thanks in advance and GO LEAFS GO..

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
as stated here willie cannot get a ntc in this deal prior to his turning 27 years old... cba does not allow it... this is a real issue against taking a "team discount" deal.... take a discount and get traded in a couple of years ... it is the reason that if i was willie i would say pay me on a long term, or a bridge for 3 years .... i know the anti-nylander camp think he is being unreasonable, but there are no guarantees in life so without a ntc it is a giant leap of faith to trust management ... hell, dubas could get fired in a couple of years and where does that leave a handshake agreement.... cross the t's and dot the i's... bridge it if need be ...
There's an "anti-Nylander camp" here? I haven't seen one. I've seen people assess his value and offer opinions on that but very little out and out hatred.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
There's an "anti-Nylander camp" here? I haven't seen one. I've seen people assess his value and offer opinions on that but very little out and out hatred.
there have been some insulting posts in this thread... there is no need to insult each other, even if we have polar opposite views... we are fans... i know in the grand scheme of things what i think is not really worth a hill of beans ... but we are approaching close to 4,000 posts on this topic so i guess a few going a little off the rails may be actually pretty good LOL
there is no question some people are big nylander fans and others say dump him for anyhing ... his value is totally subjective, and we will lean one way or the other based on our biases ... it's all good .. as with much, the real truth probably lies somewhere in the middle since we really do not know any of the numbers or terms being discussed...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Thank you.
I registered couple of days ago and re-visited this discussion to see any development on the Willie front only to find folks still at each other’s throats.

I thought we were supposed to be all Kumbayay this season rolling in our new cat-nip:towel:
Come on fellow Leafers, have faith in our brilliant management. I am sure they got things under control and I am sure Willie boy will make it all up to us a month into the season.

Now, can someone please let me know how you smart folks change your “Registered user” thingy under your avatars. Someone mentioned something about changing it in the setting the other day but I couldn’t find anything there to change, and then his and my posts went poof all of sudden. I hope the forum gods are not that strict!
Many thanks in advance and GO LEAFS GO..

Its under personal details... Should be the 'Custom Title" under your avatar.

Nice to see someone else in Gatineau! I just moved there in June, working in Ottawa!

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC

Nice to see someone else in Gatineau! I just moved there in June, working in Ottawa!

What, are you kidding me. There is another Leaf fan here in Gatineau!!! GET OUT!!!
Shoot, now I have to change my avatar name then fcol.
Seriously, I thought I was the lone Leafer in this part of the world. Holly cow.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Can't imagine this would be a sticking point for Dubas.

An NTC/NMC would only be applicable during his UFA years.

The point is that Nylander will only take less money if he is guaranteed to be a Leaf for the length of the contract. Which means a NTC. Why take a haircut if he is in Carolina this time next year?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Because walking him to UFA as soon as possible isn't in our best interests, short or long, not inbetween

Thank Gawd you're not Nylander then.

You still think this is a negotiation between equals. It's not WN has no leverage.

Bull****, the kids family has money so he can sit and wait until he gets offered something fair and if he wants to make this difficult (like Trouba) you bet your ass he can, we still need him as well

All your doing by trying to force him to take a deal worse than all of his comparables is poisoning the well and giving him every reason to try getting bridges until he hits UFA and gets out of town asap

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The point is that Nylander will only take less money if he is guaranteed to be a Leaf for the length of the contract. Which means a NTC. Why take a haircut if he is in Carolina this time next year?
There is no point since you can't give him a NMC next year.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
No one is trying to take Nylander to take a deal worse than all his comparables. And I would suggest if Nylander did as you suggested he would risk being blackballed throughout the league.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What, are you kidding me. There is another Leaf fan here in Gatineau!!! GET OUT!!!
Shoot, now I have to change my avatar name then fcol.
Seriously, I thought I was the lone Leafer in this part of the world. Holly cow.
Rockland here....

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Because walking him to UFA as soon as possible isn't in our best interests, short or long, not inbetween

Bull****, the kids family has money so he can sit and wait until he gets offered something fair and if he wants to make this difficult (like Trouba) you bet your ass he can, we still need him as well

All your doing by trying to force him to take a deal worse than all of his comparables is poisoning the well and giving him every reason to try getting bridges until he hits UFA and gets out of town asap
I expect all the signings to be a bit lower. I am not sure why you are acting as his agent

Alamo Leafer

Help end animal cruelty
Sep 12, 2018
Gatineau, QC

That's what someone else told me too but I just can't find anything called "Custom Title" anywhere on that page for the life of me. All I see is the avatar, gender, occupation, favorite food etc. nothing about a "Custom Title" nor a "Title". There is a "Status message" box and a "About you" box but nothing even close to a "Custom Title" ma man!!

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Someone actually gets it.... The NHL is a business. Willy is just looking out for himself. What happens when he takes a discout but Marner and Matthews have monster years with Matthews getting 11M and Marner getting 9 or 10? Willy's discount means nothing now as there is just no room. He gets traded to Arizona and now he gets paid 6M to play in the desert.....

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
How much is a low 20 goal scorer with defensive issues going for these days? He scored less goals last year 20 than the year before 22. Is he going to be paid on the potential of being a better goal scorer, what's the risk in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad