Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am sure Marner is glad that the heat isn't on him yet. I can't get my mind off what will happen with the delay of his contract negotiations if he puts up something line 8 points against Montreal, Ottawa and Detroit in the beginning of the season.
One side: He aint worth more than Nylander
Other side: He is a 218 point elite forward.
One side: Tavares is carrying him
Other side: Put him on Matthews line then
One side: We should now trade him for an #1 D if he doesn't sign right away
Other side: No it should be Nylander
Dumbest side: We should trade Kadri
Dreger: Marner is asking for $11MM

A 7 sided heptagon beast....plus a Dreger

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I am sure Marner is glad that the heat isn't on him yet. I can't get my mind off what will happen with the delay of his contract negotiations if he puts up something line 8 points against Montreal, Ottawa and Detroit in the beginning of the season.
You know it's coming from the overreaction crew.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Same here. Best thing to do is educate the new posters about the ignore button if they want to avoid drama queens or aggressive posters. It's a shame every year there's something that gets our fanbase divided. We get enough hate from the rest of the league lol.
Why is anyone worried about the rest of the league? I never understood the main board fear. They can pound sand.
The rest of your post is true.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
and just to add

if he wanted to preach the "me vs we" then he should have started with JT and held firm to 8.5 to 9m x 7yr contract

Making JT the 2nd highest AAV player in the league behind only McDavid and then telling the 3 Amigos "How about you think of the team first and take paycuts/discounts on your deals so we can ice a more competitive team?", seem like a contradiction to me also with Dubas being a hypocrite as its certainly not practicing what he preaches.

Sadly, I believe the opposite will now happen and player agents will say "Hey Dubie buddy, you made JT one of the highest paid players showing no financial restraint, so how about you pay our young guys what their worth also now?".

Its great to have JT, don't get me wrong but Dubas was his own worst enemy as the consequences of his actions. Tavares salary is going to act like a magnet and pull all the 3 kids salaries up now closer to his when the Leafs internal pay scale is decided.

I'm predicting Leafs will have the #2 and #3 highest paid players in the game once Matthews signs is 8 year deal which already is going to put a serious pressure on team competitiveness.. Nylander and Marner will want their fair pay also, as why should they take pay cuts when teammates are all getting big pay raises and paid above their comparables.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
JT was a free agent and deserved that money. when our 3 become free agents they will have their chance as well.

Reactions: dsred

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's shocking, yes SHOCKING, that the Nylander Cheerleading Club shows up en masse to support their guy. Give him whatever he wants? Uh, no.

He's proven squat. If he wants the big bucks then prove it by accepting a bridge deal.

Let's work with this for a second. Suppose what Gramps said in his post is accurate as far as the numbers. The Leafs are at $50 million/8 ($6.25 AAV) and Nylanders at $60 million/8 ($7.5 AAV). Barring using the words "hope", and "potential", what makes anyone think Nylander is worth $7.5 million AAV at this time?

Oh, one last thing. It ain't all about points, point, points, points, points.
For me it has nothing to do with points at all, that is not the issue. It is complete and nothing more.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I’m not sure that being quite means that somebody has poor character....

He’s done plenty of charity events across the gta the last couple years including visits to Sick Kids. I don’t really care about players personal lives but he seems alright to me

he flew from sweden to toronto this year for smashfest, which i think is a charity event. I would say if he sought out the spotlight and took away from the charity then that would be selfish, but he flew in did the even and flew out

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Well I see him in the range of 6 to 7m depending on lenght of the contract. I think most people do.
The way you speak makes it sound as if he is basically worthless for the team, that he is deplorable.

oh,, i don't think he is worthless

i think he is the key piece in topping up our top 4 D.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Making JT the 2nd highest AAV player in the league behind only McDavid and then telling the 3 Amigos "How about you think of the team first and take paycuts/discounts on your deals so we can ice a more competitive team?", seem like a contradiction to me also with Dubas being a hypocrite as its certainly not practicing what he preaches.

Sadly, I believe the opposite will now happen and player agents will say "Hey Dubie buddy, you made JT one of the highest paid players showing no financial restraint, so how about you pay our young guys what their worth also now?".

Its great to have JT, don't get me wrong but Dubas was his own worst enemy as the consequences of his actions. Tavares salary is going to act like a magnet and pull all the 3 kids salaries up now closer to his when the Leafs internal pay scale is decided.

I'm predicting Leafs will have the #2 and #3 highest paid players in the game once Matthews signs is 8 year deal which already is going to put a serious pressure on team competitiveness.. Nylander and Marner will want their fair pay also, as why should they take pay cuts when teammates are all getting big pay raises and paid above their comparables.
Like it or not JT took a pay cut to come here. He was offered more money per year and 1 year longer by Lou and the Sharks offered 2m per more. That is 14m over 7 years so your whole posts is based on nonsense.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Why is anyone worried about the rest of the league? I never understood the main board fear. They can pound sand.
The rest of your post is true.

I don't know. Not everybody has thick skin like you I guess.

I like talking hockey, with anyone really but I find the constant ignorant jabs distracting and I end up just leaving the conversation.

Oh it's not fear either. I stay away because I don't like who I become on that board.

....and I've derailed a thread. Sorry

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Like it or not JT took a pay cut to come here. He was offered more money per year and 1 year longer by Lou and the Sharks offered 2m per more. That is 14m over 7 years so your whole posts is based on nonsense.

I was going to post the same thing. His post is nothing but fantasies and dreams in his head.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I like talking hockey, with anyone really but I find the constant ignorant jabs distracting and I end up just leaving the conversation.

Oh it's not fear either. I stay away because I don't like who I become on that board.

I do not post on the main boards at all as it is purely hate towards us. When we win the cup I will make a post and that will be my last post on the main boards.

I save my self the waste of time debating with people who hate the Leafs because we are the Toronto maple leafs and no other reason. Not my idea of time well spent.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

There is some intelligent conversation on the main boards but mostly it's crap and yes, there is a ton of Leaf hate. I mostly just stay away unless I'm really, really bored. I get what you're saying about who you become there, I've been there too and I now try to look at it as an opportunity for character development - if you can wade through the garbage there and stay calm and collected, that's an accomplishment. I'm getting better at it but it's not easy. :)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

I don't like who I become over there either. You're in Quebec I'm sure you deal with enough leaf hatred IRL anyway.

Reactions: LeaffaninQuebec

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

The Leafs have never been a cheap org. This is about salary cap and managing it as such, period. It' s not about wanting to short change anyone(ie Tavares). Leafs wnt to pay with their bottomless pit of resources but are handcuffed.

Reactions: MyBudJT

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
/END THREAD.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
There is some intelligent conversation on the main boards but mostly it's crap and yes, there is a ton of Leaf hate. I mostly just stay away unless I'm really, really bored. I get what you're saying about who you become there, I've been there too and I now try to look at it as an opportunity for character development - if you can wade through the garbage there and stay calm and collected, that's an accomplishment. I'm getting better at it but it's not easy. :)
I could spend ten years meditating in a monastery and I'm not sure i could withstand the urge to wreak sweet justice on our enemies :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Somebody should tell Willie by the time We sign Mathews and Marner we will be a cap maxed out team. No hope in hell we wont be.We'd liketo spend more but the league wont let us. So how much does he think we can Sign Marner, Mathews and himself for? If he thinks we are being unreasonable with him, well he is telling us there is noway we can get all three. Unfortunately he is the 3rd most valued of the three and if we cant have them all, thanks for the info Willie and see ya.

I'm seeing Willie taking a bridge 2 year deal and then lining up with his hands out wanting his $ 8 mil per long term deal ( as Darren Dreger is reporting) once he has the stats (ie PPG) to warrant it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->