Nylander Chronicles Part XXVI: Who caves first? Nylander, Dubas, or Bert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
"Hi Michael, Have you and your son extricated your heads out of your asses yet? "

"muffled sound"

"OK, chat tomorrow."

Canes: we are interested, what would it take to get you under contract?
Agent: x
Canes: we can do x. I’m going to work something out with the Leafs.

- hangs up, calls Dubas -

Canes: hey, Kyle, are you moving Willie?
Dubas: no
Canes: ok because we really like him
Dubas: he’s making ridiculous contract demands.
Canes: we don’t think they are ridiculous, in fact we are prepared to meet his demands
Dubas: ummm... hold please
Canes: Kyle?
Dubas:
Canes: look, I can hear you breathing. we can do this one of two ways. We can offer sheet him and you will be forced to match. Teams almost always match. Our picks will be late rounders so that’s fine with us.

Or we could do this like gentlemen. You aren’t going to sign him so let’s work something out. But you’ve got to work something out with me. If I hear you shopping him around... I’m going to offer sheet him.

Dubas: Brendan.... telephone call

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Well this has 100% gone on longer than I anticipated. I'm hoping Dubes is just an evil genius and is signing him super late to keep the cap hit low for the rest of the deal.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well this has 100% gone on longer than I anticipated. I'm hoping Dubes is just an evil genius and is signing him super late to keep the cap hit low for the rest of the deal.

It would save about 85 to 200k max.

So probably not a genius.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Hypothetically, which would be the better option:

Nylander signing for 1 mil more then he's worth.
Nylander traded for a return you're not quite happy with.

Not sure what i'd prefer tbh, just hoping to have him locked up to something reasonable.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Hypothetically, which would be the better option:

Nylander signing for 1 mil more then he's worth.
Nylander traded for a return you're not quite happy with.

Not sure what i'd prefer tbh, just hoping to have him locked up to something reasonable.
easy choice - definitely overpay by 1M. We signed useless clowns in the past and overpaid by more than 1M. The only reason money is an issue is because of Matthews and Marner going after him, otherwise he's get his 8M easily

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Canes: we don’t think they are ridiculous, in fact we are prepared to meet his demands
Dubas:
Canes: look, I can hear you breathing. we can do this one of two ways. We can offer sheet him and you will be forced to match. Teams almost always match. Our picks will be late rounders so that’s fine with us.

Or we could do this like gentlemen. You aren’t going to sign him so let’s work something out. But you’ve got to work something out with me. If I hear you shopping him around... I’m going to offer sheet him.

And if the Canes drop their pants and make a stupid offer, we take the compensation and if they make a reasonable offer, we match.

Dubas has played this like a GM who has decades of experience, bravo!

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
You NEVER trade a potential elite offensive player for a D - you just don't

Lmao nylander isnt elite. And never willbe..... stop overrating him.

Back to back 60 point seasons to start your career absolutely implies elite potential. Of course it does and it's not even close.

Elite? Maybe we use this term too lightly?

Crosby's 1st year - 102 points
Ovechkin's 1st year - 106 points
McDavid's 2nd year (limited games because of injury in his 1st year) - 100 points

Nylander has about 60% of the production of those elite players listed above. Is that elite and/or elite "potential" (interesting choice of words used perhaps to muddy the water)?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

McDavid's 2nd year (limited games because of injury in his 1st year) - 100 points

Nylander has about 60% of the production of those elite players listed above. Is that elite and/or elite "potential" (interesting choice of words used perhaps to muddy the water)?
You're comparing Nylander to Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid? Holy Moly
You must think Elite only means the top 3 players in the league.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

Dubas:

You posted this in another thread and it is as ridiculous this time as it was last time. You think that if the canes were willing to sign him for his rumoured asking price and trade good assets for the privilege that Nylander wouldn't be wearing the canes logo yesterday. Hell I'd fly to Sweden or Austria and drive willy to the airport myself and I want to keep him around, on a reasonable contract.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

What comes first:

1. Dec 1
2. Willie Signs
3. Willie is traded
4. Thread 29

Probably #4.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Dubas:

Ring ring . . .

DUBAS: Hey, Don, this is Kyle.

WADDELL: Hey Kyle! Are you ready to trade Nylander for Faulk and a second, or Nylander and Gardiner for Pesce? Remember, I told you to look on HFBoards -- those are really terrific offers for the Leafs, you know!

DUBAS: Uh, no, Don. I'm calling to say we aren't really interested but we would take your next four unrestricted firsts, and a second round pick as compensation for not matching.

WADDELL: UNRESTRICTED? Kyle, you must be crazy! You know as well as I do that pretty much anything can happen in four years! Some of those could be lottery picks, or even the ffffirs . . . KYLE, be reasonable here!

Kyle: Don, we've put a lot of thought and effort into this. If you can reach a deal with William, we're fine with that. We'll just decide whether to match if and when we see the offer sheet.

But based on what William is asking, we're just not prepared to accept less than four unprotected firsts, plus something for our time and trouble.

WADDELL: Okay. No can do. We'll let you know if anything changes.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Dubas:

That was some trash. You should feel shame.

I’ve never seen someone use elite to describe the top 0.2%, so your definition seems a bit strict. I usually see it encompass the top 3-5%, and Willy has that potential.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
it frustrates me to know that we genuinely might never see the full line up we were all hyping up in the offseason when Tavares signed.

Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-Marner
Kadri-Kapanen

was just too filthy to be true :eek:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
William is btw so much more talented then his father and have a chance to be a star in this league.
But I reckon you are right that this is more about William wanting out to further his career as a potential top six center. Something he wont have a chance at with the Leafs.

I think this is the crux of the matter. Sometimes when you love something, you have to set it free. As long as we get a good player(s) in return, of course.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->