Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I see your point. When you overpay middling players (i.e. Marleau) that's when you get into trouble. Overpaying a bit for stars like JT is fine.

Never ever ever ever overpay for anything in life, ever. With a cap system it's like shooting yourself in the foot when suddenly your D man now needs a 2m raise you can't give without creating tons of hassles and minor moves. It sounds fine at the time, then when you are busting your ass off to fix the issue you will curse your own stupidity.

Fair value or better! We got fair value on JT, it was a great deal.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Brown has been playing as good (bad) as a league minimum player. IMO if it comes down to it you downgrade Brown and overpay Nylander a bit. Unless you get your socks knocked off from a trade offer.

With a rising cap an overpaid Nylander is more valuable than the majority you'll get through trade or have a player sit for a year.

Reactions: ToneDog

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Contract salary totals totals are irrelevant, aav is the only real restriction here.

The Leafs are overpaying Marleau by 2+ million each season to be a top 9 winger, whose slowing down each year. Zaitsev when he plays like a bottom pairing guy is overpaid by 2+ million a year.

Seems odd that we can’t even consider overpaying Nylander 500k....

Marleau was a ufa and isn’t comparable. I don’t like the contract either, but has nothing to do with Nylander.

Zaitsev was given an inflated contract in the “hopes” he gets better. Hows that working out for us? You want to keep doing that? Most other teams don’t do that. I’d like to be like most other teams.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
If the leafs set the precedent that they overpay all of their players, just... because, then all of our other players will demand it as well.

How can the leafs possibly compete if we have to pay inferior players 7.5 million, when other teams pay better players a million less per year.
If the leafs set the precedent that they overpay all of their players, just... because, then all of our other players will demand it as well.

How can the leafs possibly compete if we have to pay inferior players 7.5 million, when other teams pay better players a million less per year.

Agreed. And same goes for trading. If Willie wants to play in the NHL, he plays for the Leafs at a number that makes sense for the Leafs. Unless someone knocks our socks off.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Contract salary totals totals are irrelevant, aav is the only real restriction here.

The Leafs are overpaying Marleau by 2+ million each season to be a top 9 winger, whose slowing down each year. Zaitsev when he plays like a bottom pairing guy is overpaid by 2+ million a year.

Seems odd that we can’t even consider overpaying Nylander 500k....

So because leafs messed up and are overpaying for marleau then they should overpay for Nylander as well? Nice logic

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I just keep coming back to the same thing in my head. This is his SECOND contract...it's not supposed to be the final kick at the can. That usually happens when you are in your late 20's or early 30's. He is going to make a ton of money at some point in the future...it's driving me nuts. If stupid GM's pay tons of money on the 2nd contract...they better not overpay for the last part of the players career (which they will when they get to July 1st and UFA fever strikes)...so the RFA years which were supposed to be the cost controlled years turn into "maybe" getting value by buying a few UFA years...its nuts I tell ya...Nuts!!

Edmonton screwed everyone by giving the three amigos (Hopkins,Hall and Eberle) 6M contracts for the 2nd ones. The OILERS set the standard making the rest of the league pay crazy amounts for RFA's...think about that for a second...the worst run Organization is being followed by other teams instead of Tampa where everyone said they were screwed for not locking up Stamkos and Kucherov to long term 2nd deals....I just think we should be like Stevie Y and not cave to this craziness...even Sakic held on forever for a dummy to come take Duchene of his hands and pay a ransom for it. Stay steady Kyle...if you need to make him sit the year..do it..unless of course you get exactly what you want.

End of rant.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Agreed. And same goes for trading. If Willie wants to play in the NHL, he plays for the Leafs at a number that makes sense for the Leafs. Unless someone knocks our socks off.

I agree. Let him sit out all year unless it’s a great trade

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I just keep coming back to the same thing in my head. This is his SECOND contract...it's not supposed to be the final kick at the can. That usually happens when you are in your late 20's or early 30's. He is going to make a ton of money at some point in the future...it's driving me nuts. If stupid GM's pay tons of money on the 2nd contract...they better not overpay for the last part of the players career (which they will when they get to July 1st and UFA fever strikes)...so the RFA years which were supposed to be the cost controlled years turn into "maybe" getting value by buying a few UFA years...its nuts I tell ya...Nuts!!

Edmonton screwed everyone by giving the three amigos (Hopkins,Hall and Eberle) 6M contracts for the 2nd ones. The OILERS set the standard making the rest of the league pay crazy amounts for RFA's...think about that for a second...the worst run Organization is being followed by other teams instead of Tampa where everyone said they were screwed for not locking up Stamkos and Kucherov to long term 2nd deals....I just think we should be like Stevie Y and not cave to this craziness...even Sakic held on forever for a dummy to come take Duchene of his hands and pay a ransom for it. Stay steady Kyle...if you need to make him sit the year..do it..unless of course you get exactly what you want.

End of rant.

Can't agree more.

Reactions: PromisedLand

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Never ever ever ever overpay for anything in life, ever. With a cap system it's like shooting yourself in the foot when suddenly your D man now needs a 2m raise you can't give without creating tons of hassles and minor moves. It sounds fine at the time, then when you are busting your ass off to fix the issue you will curse your own stupidity.

Fair value or better! We got fair value on JT, it was a great deal.
11m per for JT is a great deal ? i guess from his end it is

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
he said both

We got fair value on JT, it was a great deal

JT isn't worth 11m but that's the inflated price you have to pay to sign ufa's
Exactly, its like buying a 2nd overall pick. How much would a team pay to buy anothers pick? So UFA's pocket the cash instead of the drafting team.

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
he said both

We got fair value on JT, it was a great deal

JT isn't worth 11m but that's the inflated price you have to pay to sign ufa's

The fact that we got fair value does make it a great deal. Considering most teams overpay UFA’s, especially UFA’s with multiple teams interested.

11 million is around the going rate for players of his caliber nowadays.
Jonathan Toews is 10.5m I think
Jack Eichel 10.5 I think
Connor McDavid is 12.5

What I don’t like is players coming off their ELC and expecting big pay days unless they are franchise level players

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He said fair value and yes 11m for elite UFA 1C is fair value.
It's a great deal for a franchise centre free agent in his prime. Ok... maybe not a great deal. But a decent deal. I'm still happy with it.

Hard to determine "market value" for ufa players like him.

Nylander however? It's very easy to determine market value. Ehlers and Pastrnak.

Reactions: Leafs1993

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The fact that we got fair value does make it a great deal. Considering most teams overpay UFA’s, especially UFA’s with multiple teams interested.

11 million is around the going rate for players of his caliber nowadays.
Jonathan Toews is 10.5m I think
Jack Eichel 10.5 I think
Connor McDavid is 12.5

What I don’t like is players coming off their ELC and expecting big pay days unless they are franchise level players
JT is overpaid regardless of how you spin it and i'd much rather overpay a rfa who i believe will get better than a ufa in his late 20 who chances are will be a cap anchor the last part of his deal

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I want him to stay but I don't know how you don't pull the trigger on a trade if/when it becomes apparent the only other option is for him to sit the year. GM's will want to low ball given the situation but Nylander has enough value that I don't think it'll be an issue. The only situation where I'd entertain letting him sit the year and still hold his rights is if Matthews is not expected to fully recover this season, otherwise we are just burning valuable time, it's not going to get any easier going forward cap-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->