Nylander Chronicles Part XXIV: Homer's Odyssey Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm as pro Nylander and his abilities as you will find but **** doing that

In no way is he worth or deserving of 7M+ by his comparables around the league, absolutely none

I’d rather overpay an asset by around 500k then be forced to make a bad trade as an alternative. Especially when it comes to a potential player who can be a part of a team’s core

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At this point, when you're at risk of losing the player, maybe you should consider paying for his future potential.

I get that he'll be paid more than Pastrnak and Ehlers, but I also think he will be worth the money.

He'll only be a Leaf for the rest of this season if he signs for $7+M. Best way to remain a Leaf is to sign for $6.5ish max,

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Kyle needs to get a bidding war started between Canes, AVs, Preds and Wild. Don't mind him going to the Canes if we can pry Slavin out of them.

I'd be happy if the return is Slavin, but we all know that it's not going to happen.

The leafs will not get fair value because of Nylander's demands.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’d rather overpay an asset by around 500k then be forced to make a bad trade as an alternative. Especially when it comes to a potential player who can be a part of a team’s core

Until you realize that 500k overpay is $3,000,000.00 and then realize that relative to his contract that 500k becomes 750k for Marner and 1m for Matthews which in turn becomes... 2.25m a year or about 13.5m over 6 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
6x500K = $3M. 8x500K=$4M.

Contract salary totals totals are irrelevant, aav is the only real restriction here.

The Leafs are overpaying Marleau by 2+ million each season to be a top 9 winger, whose slowing down each year. Zaitsev when he plays like a bottom pairing guy is overpaid by 2+ million a year.

Seems odd that we can’t even consider overpaying Nylander 500k....

Reactions: freshwind

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
All I see in Nylanders future is a 2 or 3 year bridge deal. keep him a rfa until the marleau contract is over. and restrict his earnings till then. improves trade value and maybe lights a fire under his ass so this doesn't happen the next chance he gets at a long term contract, Kinda like we did with Kadri make him earn the value he thinks hes worth

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd be happy if the return is Slavin, but we all know that it's not going to happen.

In which case, Leaf management will have to decide if it is better to let Willy sit or add assets less than Willie's market value for their playoff run.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Until you realize that 500k overpay is $3,000,000.00 and then realize that relative to his contract that 500k becomes 750k for Marner and 1m for Matthews which in turn becomes... 2.25m a year or about 13.5m over 6 years.

Honestly, I’m fine if the team has to overpay core guys a bit, that’s just the reality of pro sports, sometimes you have to do that to keep a player. But if you do, you have to cut money elsewhere (and there are other areas in the Leafs whcih can be trimmed).

The Leafs are already overpaying far worse players on this team.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Willy really wants to get paid I would offer a 7-7.25 x 8 year contract but I wouldn't offer any protection for UFA years (No NMC, NTC etc).

Basically a last alternative of if you want to be guaranteed a big payday here you go but you will get no control over you being moved etc. Gotta make yourself worth it

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Contract salary totals totals are irrelevant, aav is the only real restriction here.

The Leafs are overpaying Marleau by 2+ million each season to be a top 9 winger, whose slowing down each year. Zaitsev when he plays like a bottom pairing guy is overpaid by 2+ million a year.

Seems odd that we can’t even consider overpaying Nylander 500k....

500K is insignificant to Leafs' bank account but it is significant to next year's cap. Do you think they sign a similar Marleau deal next year? Those days/deals are over.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So people remember the quality of player they're talking about and not speaking out of their ass.

what could be helpful could be make a short video showing how good nylander is.

A video of all his goals (will be a short video)

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
500K is insignificant to Leafs' bank account but it is significant to next year's cap. Do you think they sign a similar Marleau deal next year? Those days/deals are over.

A contract at 7-7.25ish mil is a lot easier to fit under the cap than 8+.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Honestly, I’m fine if the team has to overpay core guys a bit, that’s just the reality of pro sports, sometimes you have to do that to keep a player. But if you do, you have to cut money elsewhere (and there are other areas in the Leafs whcih can be trimmed).

The Leafs are already overpaying far worse players on this team.

I see your point. When you overpay middling players (i.e. Marleau) that's when you get into trouble. Overpaying a bit for stars like JT is fine.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
At this point, when you're at risk of losing the player, maybe you should consider paying for his future potential.

I get that he'll be paid more than Pastrnak and Ehlers, but I also think he will be worth the money.

What risk?

He's an RFA without arb rights, he's not playing in N/A without our say so until he's 27, I enjoyed playing pro rugby in Russia but there is little chance he's doing that until he's 27

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well that depends on what AM and MM ask for. If Willie signs for $7+M and AM and MM don't give a discount, Willie will almost certainly be traded this summer.

And that may well be the case. But for the moment, I’m just curious if such a move would end the stalemate and get him back on the team.

And I also wouldn’t even go as far to say I think that’s 100% what the Leafs should do, but I think is at least worthy of being considered to be an option

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'm against giving anybody more than there worth in a hard cap league, if we go down that road every RFA we've got is going to take us to the woodshed

Either he signs something reasonable or he sits (bridge long term) I don't care, no more ******* around

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

I'm just curious what loss you think the Leafs are going to suffer if they don't sign Nylander by December.

Reactions: Mork

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If it's not worthwhile to trade him, don't. There's no sense in gifting him to another team for pennies on the dollar for no discernible reason. Keep him unsigned, out of the NHL and weigh your options.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm against giving anybody more than there worth in a hard cap league, if we go down that road every RFA we've got is going to take us to the woodshed

Either he signs something reasonable or he sits (bridge long term) I don't care, no more ******* around
Ahhh... the voice of reason. I'm starting to lose my cool (again) with the WNFC. It's tiring.

Reactions: Al14 and Kiwi

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
And that may well be the case. But for the moment, I’m just curious if such a move would end the stalemate and get him back on the team.

And I also wouldn’t even go as far to say I think that’s 100% what the Leafs should do, but I think is at least worthy of being considered to be an option

It is a viable option that I have suggested before. Sign him and then trade him when the cap is an issue.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

If the leafs set the precedent that they overpay all of their players, just... because, then all of our other players will demand it as well.

How can the leafs possibly compete if we have to pay inferior players 7.5 million, when other teams pay better players a million less per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->