[NYI/WSH] Halak for CHI's 4th in '14

OldHat

Jul 15, 2013
Under A Mountain
Of course I, as a fan, do not want a "yes man." But it's not my job on the line, so I can understand why he caved on the issue. That's all I'm saying. It's easy for you to criticize, but it's not your paycheck and it's not your passion on the line. Have you quit every job you've had when you disagreed with your boss?

Whether or not you feel it would be a positive to disagree with Oates, do you really anticipate that Kolzig would have been given another chance to be an NHL goalie coach?

I have been fortunate enough to have mostly had employment where it hasn't been as issue. I have had situations where I simply ignored instructions based on principle. I was lucky to have no repercussions, but I made those decisions knowing that there may be some.

This is not ordinary employment for Kolzig. If Olie needs that paycheck then he has managed his money terribly.

Who knows if he would have/will get another chance to be a goalie coach at the NHL level. Why not? I'm sure he would have an excellent reference in Prior and he had a long career as a player.

Telling a prospective employer that he quit or was fired because Oates wanted him to coach the goalies in a manner that was inconsistent with what he knew was right - would be detrimental to the player and the team is a positive in my book. It goes along with explaining his coaching philosophy and how he deals with players.

When Holtby was struggling - eyes were on Kolzig. Kolzig owned the changes he was pushing as his own. That is more damaging to a career than quitting or being let go because of philosophical differences.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I have been fortunate enough to have mostly had employment where it hasn't been as issue. I have had situations where I simply ignored instructions based on principle. I was lucky to have no repercussions, but I made those decisions knowing that there may be some.

This is not ordinary employment for Kolzig. If Olie needs that paycheck then he has managed his money terribly.

Who knows if he would have/will get another chance to be a goalie coach at the NHL level. Why not? I'm sure he would have an excellent reference in Prior and he had a long career as a player.

Telling a prospective employer that he quit or was fired because Oates wanted him to coach the goalies in a manner that was inconsistent with what he knew was right - would be detrimental to the player and the team is a positive in my book. It goes along with explaining his coaching philosophy and how he deals with players.

When Holtby was struggling - eyes were on Kolzig. Kolzig owned the changes he was pushing as his own. That is more damaging to a career than quitting or being let go because of philosophical differences.
I'm not sure what field you work in, but there are only 30 NHL goaltending coaches. I'm guessing it would be much easier for you to find another job in your field than it would be for Kolzig. There are lots of coaches out there that have excellent references and long careers as players but only 30 jobs, and the number that are available at any given time is much smaller than that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
there are only 30 NHL goaltending coaches..

No one is disputing the number of jobs.

His point was that he risked furthering his career by peddling Oates's crap, that was enough to send Prior packing.

If there are only 30 NHL jobs, what are the chances that he Olaf is even qualified to fill an elite job? It would seem slim pickens factoring in the number of former goalies that would love the job.

Oldfan implies he may well have failed his first big test, in the eyes of a competent GM reviewing resumes of applicants. Our tending pretty much sucked all year. Sure much of that was on Oates, but goalies should also steal games regardless of the crap in front of them. Ours didn't.

Only time will tell if Kolzig played his cards right. I agree with Oldie that Kolzig may only be here because of his name.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

His point was that he risked furthering his career by peddling Oates's crap, that was enough to send Prior packing.

If there are only 30 NHL jobs, what are the chances that he Olaf is even qualified to fill an elite job? It would seem slim pickens factoring in the number of former goalies that would love the job.

Oldfan implies he may well have failed his first big test, in the eyes of a competent GM reviewing resumes of applicants. Our tending pretty much sucked all year. Sure much of that was on Oates, but goalies should also steal games regardless of the crap in front of them. Ours didn't.

Only time will tell if Kolzig played his cards right. I agree with Oldie that Kolzig may only be here because of his name.

I think you're trying too hard to make this into something complex and nefarious.

ASSISTANT coach ASSISTS his boss, which is his job. His mentor and previous boss would not, and got fired. It's a pretty clear choice...do what you're being paid to do or hit the bricks.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

I think it has become fairly clear that Kolzig was just pushing what Oates' was instructing. I think it would be a better mark to have on one's ledger than straight up quitting due to philosophical differences.

I guess it's personal opinion as to what looks better on a resume. Flexible enough to try to implement an organization's (read control freak) philosophy or rigid adherence to one's personal views. Seems to me that the latter would limit his options to an organization that is completely aligned with his approach or one that would take a completely hands-off approach and let a guy with limited experience break completely from the previous methodology. If I were a GM, I know which one I'd prefer.

OldHat

Jul 15, 2013
Under A Mountain

Yes! :handclap:

I think you're trying too hard to make this into something complex and nefarious.

ASSISTANT coach ASSISTS his boss, which is his job. His mentor and previous boss would not, and got fired. It's a pretty clear choice...do what you're being paid to do or hit the bricks.

Sure, but the goalie coach is a bit different than an assistant on the bench. A GC's job is to have the goaltenders play at their best - simple. A goalie's game shouldn't change with the system or with the HC, outside of maybe playing the puck.

The question is what was Olie's job? To have the goalies play at their optimum level or to simply do what he was told.

Either way - he bought in to Oates' ideas and was completely wrong in doing that, or he completely threw his beliefs out the window to kowtow to Oates in order to keep his job. Either way it doesn't inspire much confidence in him.

I believe Prior resigned.

I think it has become fairly clear that Kolzig was just pushing what Oates' was instructing. I think it would be a better mark to have on one's ledger than straight up quitting due to philosophical differences.

I guess it's personal opinion as to what looks better on a resume. Flexible enough to try to implement an organization's (read control freak) philosophy or rigid adherence to one's personal views. Seems to me that the latter would limit his options to an organization that is completely aligned with his approach or one that would take a completely hands-off approach and let a guy with limited experience break completely from the previous methodology. If I were a GM, I know which one I'd prefer.

Kolzig certainly owned what he was pushing. He spoke about as if it was his idea.

You are putting too much emphasis on the way a goalie plays with an organization's philosophy - I bet every organization's philosophy on goalies is that they stop the puck whether they sit back, or play on top of the crease. A goalie's style does not change the methodology of the entire team.

I would be willing to bet that Oates is the only HC to try and force a style of play on his goalies. If not the only one then it has to be a really short list.

I'd rather have a guy like Prior who says - "You're wrong and I can't do what I think is wrong... buh bye."

Think about it... Adam ****ing Oates tried to tell Dave ****ing Prior about playing goal. Adam ****ing Oates. :badidea:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad