NYI Top 15 Prospects midseason 2020

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
NYI top 15 prospects
1. Brayden Tracey (2)
Tracey has continued to see success in the WHL. Some of the concern with Tracey last year was he was paired with overeagers and that could have boosted his performance. I think this year it is evident that he has the skill to compete in the NHL. Currently he is on the Victoria Royals after a midseason trade.
2. Frederic Allard (3)
With his offensive game being on the same pace as last year, it seems Allard has worked on his defensive game and looks like he isn’t a liability on defence. He is an injury away from getting a call-up with the big club. I think he may just get the opportunity later in the year when the Preds are out and want to see what the young defenceman can do.
3. Alex Beaucage (7)
Scott Wheeler talks about the big winger: “Beaucage has flown under the radar a little… His late-July birthday meant that he played all of last year as a 17-year-old. Though his post-draft numbers don’t really pop considering they’re about in line with where he was at last season, they’ve come under different circumstances. Last year, Beaucage posted a combined 95 points across 84 games as the fourth most productive player on the Memorial Cup champs. This year, after turning over the team and losing all three of those other players, he has continued to produce largely on his own. As I write this, his 34 goals in 51 games ranks second in the QMJHL (first in his age group), while his 60 points ranks seventh among all under-19 players. He has done this on a team that ranks 15th in the 18-team QMJHL in goals per game. Beaucage is a big, strong, powerful winger who generates shots at an elite clip for his age (his 229 shots on goal ranks fourth in the Q). Though his skating can look stilted and choppy and I would like him to play a little more physically, Beaucage has a lot of NHL qualities, including good hands, a hard shot that can beat goalies from long distance and surprising playmaking talent for a shot-first winger. If he can smooth out some of the kinks in his stride, he’ll be a good middle-six player at the NHL level. He’s going to easily eclipse 40 goals this season and I wouldn’t bet against 50+ for him next year.”
4. Jordon Spence (8)
Spence looks like the best defenceman on a very good Moncton team, and one of the top defenceman in the Q. He continues to upgrade his passing game, especially as the PP1 QB. He uses his mobility to help cover ground in the defensive end, and has great zone exit numbers. His one disadvantage is his size. Scott wheeler thinks: “He uses his stick as well as any player in junior hockey defensively, routinely breaking up plays with it. He can quarterback a power play thanks to excellent footwork, an ability to read the play and anticipate movement and a head-on-a-swivel approach to handling the puck. I think there’s real NHL upside to his game, even if some pro coaches may need convincing due to his size.”
5. Yevgeni Oksentyuk (12)
After going undrafted last year, Oksentyuk was taken 5th overall in the Import draft by flint and is having a very impressive season with 25 goals and 62 points in 46 games. The offensive talent is clearly there and he has transitioned to North America seamlessly. I would be shocked if he is not taken in the NHL draft this year.
6. Jeremy Roy (1)
After coming back from a knee injury last year Roy put up some impressive stats in the AHL. This year his offensive game is trending downwards and has only played 25 games. Seems like he is projecting to be a third line defenceman at best, if he is healthy.
7. Jeremy Lauzon (6)
He is a typical defensive shut down defenceman. He is at the point in his career where he is a top defenceman in the AHL and a bottom pair defenceman in the NHL. Being a physical defensive defenceman I don’t expect him to be top pairing defenceman in the NHL, however he could end up being a reliable third liner who gets some PK minutes.
8. Dylan Coughlan (5)
He was on an absolute tear offensively in the AHL last year. This year he has come back down to earth, partly due to the emergence of Jimmy Schuldt. He still needs to work on his defensive game but he is another one of those fringe guys who could stick with the big club if he gets a call up.
9. Jokiam Nygard (NR)
He has been up and down the oilers line up all season, shown flashes of offensive ability. Unfortunately he is out of the oilers lineup now with a broken hand and will probably miss most if not all of this season. He will be a fourth liner for the islanders next year.
10. Dmitri Zavgorodny (10)
In his third season in the Q he is exceeding expectations, scoring 22 goals and 55 points in 31 games. He is producing about 0.82 ppg more than he did last year. Granted he has seen some playing time with Rimouski legend Alexis Lafreniere, Zavgorodny is definitely turning some heads and will probably get a chance in the AHL next year.
11. Jonas Johansson (11)
Last year Johansson showed flashes of excellence in 5 games in the AHL and continued that this year posting a 2.19 GAA and a .925 SV%. With the injury to Ulmark, Johansson got the call to the show and hasn’t been great but hasn’t been awful. He is someone who has the potential to be a decent backup in the future.
12. Calle Rosen (3)
Last year Rosen had a great season offensively under Keefe and after the trade, it looked like he was finally going to get his shot in the NHL. That wasn’t the case as he has played most of the season in the AHL and haven’t been able to produce the same offensive game that he had last year. He is another one of those defenceman who could end up having a career as a fringe NHLer.
13. Zachary Okabe (14)
A snipe show last year in the AJHL, Okabe took his talents to St. Cloud State University and has had a poor year offensively with only 6 points in 25 games.
14. Eric Uba (15)
Uba was my 7th round pick last year and with the Guelph Storm he has already hit the same amount of points as last year in 17 less games.
15. Ryan Chyzowski (NR)
He has consistently been around 50 points every season in the WHL, hasn’t seen much improvement in his game but there is always more time.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad