Confirmed with Link: [NYI/PHI] Andrew MacDonald for Matt Mangene, 2015 2nd and 2014 3rd round picks

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
All you're really showing is that if you cherry pick some stats and leave others out (like say, actual production), you can make something look better or worse than it is. And on top of that, those stats lack all context. Nobody argues that stats without context are useful.

That was my point :)

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Advanced stats in such a dynamic sport are effective for reading between the lines. They have a spot beside "the eye" test (aka, knowing what you're watching and talking about) at best. I won't get into example because there are clearly too many but this BSB article is another. I had Mac between 4-4.5m and still think that's a good number for what he brings to the team, a way (one of the only) out of the zone and some complimentary offence. Our crap defense needs this player going forward. The idea that people here buy solely into advanced stats to pass judgement on a new player playing on a new team in a new system isn't just funny, it's downright ****in hilarious, especially when most of these people are also watching the games in full. It really shows how little a lot of the big talkers actually know about the sport and what it takes to be involved in the play of it.

Last edited:

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
Super stats are horse crap, always have been, always will be.

People that know what they are talking about use to and still **** on +/-, why super stats are even talked about, I will never understand.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Just my opinion, but I like MacDonald more than Coburn. He has more offensive upside and doesn't seem as mistake prone as Coburn in his own end.

In a perfect world they'd just get rid of Schenn and Grossmann and keep both MacDonald and Coburn.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Just my opinion, but I like MacDonald more than Coburn. He has more offensive upside and doesn't seem as mistake prone as Coburn in his own end.

In a perfect world they'd just get rid of Schenn and Grossmann and keep both MacDonald and Coburn.

I disagree about liking MacDonald more than Coburn. I think it's just the small sample size and the having an upgrade on defense. Remember Grossmann last year?

That said I agree I would much rather have MacDonald and Coburn next season than Schenn and Grossmann.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I disagree about liking MacDonald more than Coburn. I think it's just the small sample size and the having an upgrade on defense. Remember Grossmann last year?

That said I agree I would much rather have MacDonald and Coburn next season than Schenn and Grossmann.

Me too. Trade Grossmann for a 2nd and since we need LW trade Schenn for JVR.

JVR -Giroux- Vorabeast
Raffl -Cout- Read
Hartnll -VLC- Schenn
Rinaldo- Laughton- Hall

Kimmo- Coburn
Streit- Folin
AMC- Guss/Alt

(jk who in their right mind would give up JVR for Schenn) :sarcasm:

Man I hate that trade!!!

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Kadri that punk giving cheap shots to Macdonalds face...love the ref just waiting for more than one shot to call the penalty. Mason's slash was retaliation from the snow job by Lupul, Lupus should have been accessed an unsportsmanlike penalty

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Worked for us last night with JVR assisting on the GWG.

After Last nights game, I kind of get it. I understand why you would want to trade JVR. He is just so soft and only impacts the game on the scoresheet. Vorabeast was the best player last night and he didn't even have a point. I just wish we could have traded JVR for a real defenseman.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
After Last nights game, I kind of get it. I understand why you would want to trade JVR. He is just so soft and only impacts the game on the scoresheet. Vorabeast was the best player last night and he didn't even have a point. I just wish we could have traded JVR for a real defenseman.

I have been saying this about JVR for a while now. If he isn't scoring, he isn't worth his TOI and his contract. They play him 22 minutes up there in toronto. He is probably playing against the opponents best players regularly and even getting PK time. JVR is not good enough defensively to be that player. He is probably a more suitable 18-19 minutes guy while getting a good bulk of that on the PP though.

Flyers weren't too happy with him from the get go. They don't like that he is a "power forward" but rarely uses his size. Also I have seen more than once his compete level questioned.

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
Andy Mac is a better player than I thought he was. He seems like the type of guy that you don't really appreciate what he brings until you're seeing him every night. Not flashy at all...reminds me a little of Seidenberg, and as I recall some of the advanced stats don't like Seidenberg much either.

I have been saying this about JVR for a while now. If he isn't scoring, he isn't worth his TOI and his contract. They play him 22 minutes up there in toronto. He is probably playing against the opponents best players regularly and even getting PK time. JVR is not good enough defensively to be that player. He is probably a more suitable 18-19 minutes guy while getting a good bulk of that on the PP though.

Flyers weren't too happy with him from the get go. They don't like that he is a "power forward" but rarely uses his size. Also I have seen more than once his compete level questioned.

This. And ironically that's the way I usually felt about Lupul too, and look where he is. I still think it's a bad move in that they probably should have been able to get a better d-man back for JvR considering what his production is. But he was always very frustrating the way he'd disappear for extended stretches, and I don't really see a change now that he's a Leaf.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whatever anyone thinks about the JVR trade I think we can all agree who the real winner of the trade was... Luke Schenn.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm lukewarm (so to speak) about MacDonald, given what most estimate it will cost to sign him. Yes, he would be an upgrade over Grossmann, but the strategy should be either get a true top-pairing Dman or be patient with Morin/Hagg/Gostisbehere. Adding MacDonald will improve the team, but not by the amount they need to warrant a big contract.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
"GKJ after MacDonald's second game."

If only that absurdity hasn't come to fruition after 9 more games.

Which has come to fruition-- MacDonald having bad corsi or MacDonald playing poorly? One of those things was never objected to by me, and the other isn't true. Possession stats are excellent, but you don't just read them and suddenly understand everything you need to know. Sometimes they are not terrific indicators of utility.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Which has come to fruition-- MacDonald having bad corsi or MacDonald playing poorly? One of those things was never objected to by me, and the other isn't true. Possession stats are excellent, but you don't just read them and suddenly understand everything you need to know. Sometimes they are not terrific indicators of utility.

MacDonald has 2 points despite sheltered minutes, and a winning streak. Maybe it's not "poor," but it's not what the Flyers signed up for.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
MacDonald has 2 points despite sheltered minutes, and a winning streak. Maybe it's not "poor," but it's not what the Flyers signed up for.
Why did you expect him to put up points?

If he's not meeting your expectations, your expectations may have been screwy.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
MacDonald isn't a high level point producer. I'm not sure why you expect if from him. He does transition very well out of the zone which produces offense even if he's not on the score sheet.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Not meeting my expectations

Surely you jest.
I'm really just not sure what you're watching if you haven't been satisfied with MacDonald as a bottom pairing defender. I'm not saying he's been incredible or perfect; he's just been steady and reliable which is exactly what everyone should have expected of him.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I'm lukewarm (so to speak) about MacDonald, given what most estimate it will cost to sign him. Yes, he would be an upgrade over Grossmann, but the strategy should be either get a true top-pairing Dman or be patient with Morin/Hagg/Gostisbehere. Adding MacDonald will improve the team, but not by the amount they need to warrant a big contract.

I definitely agree with this idea that he's only worth resigning up to a certain cap hit/contract term. However, I don't understand how anyone (not you) can watch these games and think he's been horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad