Confirmed Trade: [NYI/NJD] Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac (both @50%) for AJ Greer, M Jobst, 21 1st, cdnl 22/23 3rd/4th

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Congratulations to the Islanders. They have a very good GM, who is a tremendous judge of talent for his team. I can see the Islanders going to make some noise in the playoffs this season.
It's ridiculous to think of this team as a failure if they don't make it to the finals but this is a reality. Such a refreshing change from failure when failure meant they had Detroit-like luck at the lottery.

Short window but whatever, it's been nice the last couple seasons having a team that can contend.

At least when the time comes to rebuild and to suck hard it'll come off some success, not just an unsuccessful rebuild like what poor Buffalo is going through (and I mean that with sincerity). We've been through that a couple of times the past 20 years.

Reactions: cavs

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It's ridiculous to think of this team as a failure if they don't make it to the finals but this is a reality. Such a refreshing change from failure when failure meant they had Detroit-like luck at the lottery.

Short window but whatever, it's been nice the last couple seasons having a team that can contend.

At least when the time comes to rebuild and to suck hard it'll come off some success, not just an unsuccessful rebuild like what poor Buffalo is going through (and I mean that with sincerity). We've been through that a couple of times the past 20 years.

It’s not going to suck hard because the Isles have a great group of Young players to build around. They won’t be starting from scratch, it will include Barzal, Wahlstrom, Dobson & Sorokin

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don't the Islanders need to win something 1st before this is considered a fleecing? Not saying it's going to happen, but if they lose first round of the playoffs , are you still going to feel the same? When they will have nothing to show for the deal, and the Devils will.

Well, Lou had a choice between Hall and Palmieri and went with Palmieri and Zajac. So if they don’t at least get to the conference finals or whatever they call the equivalent of it this year, then he’s going to look bad and possibly get a lot of heat for that decision.

However, at the core, it’s a fleecing.

Reactions: Smitty426

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Well, Lou had a choice between Hall and Palmieri and went with Palmieri and Zajac. So if they don’t at least get to the conference finals or whatever they call the equivalent of it this year, then he’s going to look bad and possibly get a lot of heat for that decision.

It might not be a choice, Lou could be targeting Hall as well o_O

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Bwahahaha...

OK, we'll take your word on it over Lebrun.

What the cinnamon toast f*** are you talking about?

My word over LeBrun? My word is an opinion, saying that they could have gotten more. I never said I knew more than LeBrun, if I did, please feel free to post where I said those words.

What I said was I believe that they could have gotten more for Palmieri and a 2nd rounder and a good prospect is more than a 1st and the garbage that came with it.

BTW, there was no offer for a 2nd round pick and a good prospect. It would've been a 2nd rounder and a "meh" prospect or mid/late round pick.

There was none? Where did LeBrun or anyone say this?

Are you also seriously trying to compare this to a trade from 9 years ago (that included a pick going back, which in typical Sabres fashion produced a better player than the pick they acquired)?

No, I’m illustrating that markets different and anything can happen.

We're also talking about a flat cap this year, limiting what teams can do as well as limited playoff revenue, which will impact some teams' decisions.

Fair.

Saying the Devils got "fleeced" is insane, but go on with your spicy take.

LOL, I’m a Ranger fan and that’s why outsiders are saying the same damn thing that I am.

But yeah, I’ll take my “spicy take” and you stay crying about the trade.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm assuming the Islanders are going to run Barzal , Nelson , Pageau , Cizikas up the middle. This is odd because when Zajac came back from the covid quarantine this year it was literally the only time I can recall as a Devils fan I saw him not play center. I know he played on the wing his first game for the Islanders to get adapted to a whole new team.but I have to think one of Pagaeu or Cizikas will be shifted over. Regardless having him on a line with 1 of those 2 will be an amazing defensive line to use counter other teams top lines.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Stop stating your opinion as a fact. It's a lazy argument.

Stop being mad and assuming that I think that.

See how that works?

The Devils got a first for Palms which most didn't think would have been possible.

They didn’t get a first for just Palmieri. That’s a fact.

Zajac was the sweetener who is almost guaranteed to sign another short-term contract in NJ after the season ends.

Ok?

Devil fans wanted a bit more, but that is just the way the market is in this crazy year. No one seems willing to trade a 1st this year or a top prospect except maybe Toronto, which both Devil players would have never accepted a trade to.

Agreed that the market is crazy, that’s part of what I was saying. Markets differ and anything can happen.

Palms didn't want to go to a Canadian team and Zajac didn't want to uproot his family. Very limited trade options for those two.

You may be right about that, I know that Zajac refused to waive as part of the Andy Greene deal last year.

I think Fitz got a decent return on those two, considering all the current restraints this TDL.

We will never agree.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Imagine using an overpayment that occurred in 2012 to justify a trade made in 2021.

Imagine thinking that’s what I was doing.

Or you could use more critical thinking or even ask me why I’d mention that and I would have explained to you that all I’m doing is illustrating that...

1. Markets differ.

2. Anything can happen.

But go on and make presumptuous snarky replies that don’t do anything to contribute to a conversation. That’s really smart.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Fleece: to strip of money or property by fraud or extortion

Nope, I disagree with your take, I am not seeing a fleecing here. We shall see how it plays out.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
I agree that it's an absolute fleecing by the Islanders in a vacuum but I'd rather get fleeced to get a 1st than lose the same players but get a 2nd + B prospect without getting fleeced in the process. Sometimes, you gotta lose deals to do whats best for your franchise. As a Devils fan, I'm very happy with this trade.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Fleece: to strip of money or property by fraud or extortion

Nope, I disagree with your take, I am not seeing a fleecing here. We shall see how it plays out.

Oh, we’re practicing literalism now. So I can’t say the Islanders destroyed them in the trade either, because the word destroyed is used often to describe blow out games across all sports. I can’t say they won the trade by a landslide either since there’s no actual landslide involved.

So considering that you went the snark route and decided to contribute nothing of substance to the discussion and now I couldn’t give a shit less about your opinion anymore, I’ll say the Islanders won the trade by a large margin and you can go cry about it for all I care.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This is a really bad take lmao

Zajac Stealing money? he's been our most dependable centre for years and it's not like we're up against the cap.

I thought you usually limited your bad opinions to the devils board...

Look at his numbers since Parise left. He go that bloated contract because of Zach being the birddog on his line. No one can honestly look at Zajac the last 8 years (with prime TOI to boot) and say that was 6 million dollar player production. Devil fans fall into this romantic view of their own players that doesn't match reality.

Last edited:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Hot take:

Zajac was Lou’s real target and Palmieri was the sweetener. Lou loves Zajac and the reality is whatever line he centered was NJ’s best line for the past several years.

If you wanted no offense, then sure. Travis was always perceived to be better offensively than he actually is, because of Zach doing all the dirty work. Zach Parise was a turbo-boosting maniac during his prime, which is why Travis has not gotten close to 60 points (most he registered was 48) since Parise left. He's a limited offensive center. Always been. In fact, his career statistical arc looks more like that of a third line center, if you remove his fortuitous beginnings with Parise.

Last edited:

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Oh, we’re practicing literalism now. So I can’t say the Islanders destroyed them in the trade either, because the word destroyed is used often to describe blow out games across all sports. I can’t say they won the trade by a landslide either since there’s no actual landslide involved.

So considering that you went the snark route and decided to contribute nothing of substance to the discussion and now I couldn’t give a shit less about your opinion anymore, I’ll say the Islanders won the trade by a large margin and you can go cry about it for all I care.
It will be OK. You don't need to cry to Mommy when someone disagrees with your take on something. Like I said before, after the playoffs, Isles will have nothing to show for this trade unless they win the cup. However, the Devils will.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad