Proposal: NYI/Leafs Trade

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The biggest shock would be a NYI fan admitting that Nylander is a good player rather than trashing him and calling him soft, one-dimension etc.

I get the salt from Tavares choosing us over you but jesus cool it.

That being said Islanders are rebuilding not really much of an incentive to move two young players for one. Leaf's are also not in the business of taking two smaller pieces for one bigger either. Not a good look from either side tbh.

Which of my comments were incorrect?

Isles strength being scoring from their wings?
Isles desperately needing a #1D?
Nylander being a luxury item and not a necessity?
Nylander being soft?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Leafs aren't looking for a long term project or two for one of their studs.

I want to say Leafs hang up but there is good value there but it's not like every top tenish defenseman is money to develop, too much risk for not enough reward to flip Nylander.

And Bellows? Have no interest in what he offers the Leafs, trade proposals on this board would be better if people cut out the sweetner/filler piece.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bellows and Bode Wilde? c'mon now.

Dobson is the sweetheart du jure right now. We will see what he turns into.

Nylander would be a great wingman for Barzal.

I doubt Bellows or Dobson plays at Willy's level for at least 2 years, and I am not completely sold Bellows ever hits 60 points like Nylander did last year.

I guess all I can see is I will take one bonafide top winger at 22 over 2 guys I am not sure have top end potential. Quality over quantity.

It is highly doubtful Nylander would be a great wingman for Barzal. Both are puck dominant players, both like to have the puck on their sticks, both like to enter the zone with the puck. They would be working at cross purposes. Really if you already have one of the best in the NHL that does these things, Barzal. You do not want a lesser player and I say this in all respect to Nylander, but he is simply not as good as Barzal at these things, that takes away puck time from a creator of Barzal's talent. I would much rather have the potential of Bellows as a goal scorer than Nylander as Barzal's winger. Barzal needs someone to finish his passes more than a Nylander.

Reactions: Quicklime

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Leafs need to mange the salary cap to be able to sign core pieces-

TO NYI
Nylander- Can help offset JT point production. Nylander has a proven track record of producing at the NHL level. He is versatile can play centre or the wing. He can think the game at a high level-likely play well with Barzal... Lou knows Nylander well and would feel comfortable making a trade for him as he knows what he is getting.

TO LEAFS-
Bellows
Dobson

Leafs solve their cap problems by getting two controllable assets. Bellows has a great shot a bit of a power forward who can score.

Dobson- the coveted right shot D with lots of potential. However, potential is a dangerous word as it is not yet known if Dobson skill set will translate in to the NHL.

Are the Leafs to give up on trying to win this year then, and build for the future? LOL. Why on earth would they do this?

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Are Islander fans really saying they wouldn't deal Bellows and Dobson for Nylander?

That's insanity. Take the player who is already a top line talent with more ceiling over a player with a lower ceiling and a potential top 4 defenceman. You skip 3 years of positive development, remove the question marks, and end up with the same talent you would if your guys developed into what their potential is.
Still no. For isles that trade does not make sense. 2 years ago maybe but not now.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
I would say he has the best chance of being a top line dman out of their prospects but time will tell.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs accept, no chance NYI agrees. They need help at Centre and DMen. Nylander does nothing to help their position of need and give up a valued asset at D. Leafs get cap releif to extend their other players and stock the farm.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Are Islander fans really saying they wouldn't deal Bellows and Dobson for Nylander?

That's insanity. Take the player who is already a top line talent with more ceiling over a player with a lower ceiling and a potential top 4 defenceman. You skip 3 years of positive development, remove the question marks, and end up with the same talent you would if your guys developed into what their potential is.
Not with that offer they wouldn't. One of those guys and a roster player by the name of Brock Nelson and/or Cal Clutterbuck would get you stronger consideration. The Isles aren't parting with high end prospects without the potential of a top pairing defenseman or quality starter coming back in return based on the organizational needs. You'd have a better shot to keep peddling Leivo, Carrick and Hainsey off for something over trying to move Nylander to the Isles for 2 of the top 4 prospects in the system.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Willy will never be an Islander for the same reason MSL never played for the Blues, Paul Ranger never played in the Big Apple, Miroslav was never a Devil, and Burns will never be a Flame ... it would be too perfect.

Reactions: Disgraced Cosmonaut

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
If isles are gunna go after and unsigned RFA it'll be theodore. Nylander is a nice piece, but bellows and dobson aren't for sale. If the islanders we're to go after Nylander the offer would be more like Mayfield/Pelech/Toews/aho + Lee/Eberle + mid range pick or prospect. Really wouldn't want to part with Lee but Nylander coming back would definitely make it worth consideration.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If isles are gunna go after and unsigned RFA it'll be theodore. Nylander is a nice piece, but bellows and dobson aren't for sale. If the islanders we're to go after Nylander the offer would be more like Mayfield/Pelech/Toews/aho + Lee/Eberle + mid range pick or prospect. Really wouldn't want to part with Lee but Nylander coming back would definitely make it worth consideration.
I can see Pelech or Mayfield move before Toews. Toews seems to be the next big thing in terms of Isles defenseman coming up in the fold.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Willy will never be an Islander for the same reason MSL never played for the Blues, Paul Ranger never played in the Big Apple, Miroslav was never a Devil, and Burns will never be a Flame ... it would be too perfect.

Sometimes a Dwight King plays for the Kings though

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Makes no sense.

Toronto immediately gets worse and is in win now mode

Islanders are in rebuild and lose two of their best 3-4 building pieces.

In terms of pure value its pretty close

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders are giving up too much.

I think you can argue it's fair value but from an Islanders POV I don't think Nylander is the type of player they need to target and they would be better off holding out for a top pairing defenseman or top 6 centers if they were going to trade Dobson(else hold on to him and hope he ends up that elusive top pairing guy)

I the case of the Leafs since they are more win now they might be better served trying to trade for an NHL ready defenseman, all that being said if all they are getting offered is 2nd pairing guys maybe trading for an unproven potential first pairing guy might be the way to go

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I would say he has the best chance of being a top line dman out of their prospects but time will tell.
Dobson has done nothing but impress since being drafted.

Isles have to resist the temptation to keep him in the nhl this season. Let him go back to juniors, add more weight and continue developing.

Reactions: IODCPiper

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Dobson has done nothing but impress since being drafted.

Isles have to resist the temptation to keep him in the nhl this season. Let him go back to juniors, add more weight and continue developing.
IMO, he’ll either get the 9 game look or get sent back to juniors for a year. LL has no problem letting guys play a few season in the minors/juniors before the big club. I’m curious to see if Sbisa gets signed to a 1 year deal.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You know we can match right? You only get guys on offer if you overpay them to the point no one would match.

Hardly matters, this is not going to happen.
Of course I know. The issue is cap room for Leafs.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
7 years at 7.5 million offer sheet. 1, 2, 3. Keep Bellows and Dobson.
Done, please offer that today.

By the way ... Dorian? your calculations would be off, thats 4 firsts. We divide that. 52.5 million dollar offer by 5 to determine compensation. I know being a GM is tough.

4 firsts and they'll all be top 10's I'd bet. :)

Last edited:

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I believe =on my quick read through of the rules=that the cap hit is different than the calculations for compensation. The offering team gets the cap hit-or the team that meets the compensation offer sheet. The draft pick compensation is based on the contract.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Done, please offer that today.

By the way ... Dorian? your calculations would be off, thats 4 firsts. We divide that. 52.5 million dollar offer by 5 to determine compensation. I know being a GM is tough.

4 firsts and they'll all be top 10's I'd bet. :)
Any team that gives Nylander $7.5m- $8m per, deserves to be in caphell. He is not worth it.

I have not come across 1 credible source,saying the isles are pursuing Nylander or want to overpay/offersheet him.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Which of my comments were incorrect?

Isles strength being scoring from their wings?
Isles desperately needing a #1D?
Nylander being a luxury item and not a necessity?
Nylander being soft?
The last one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->