Proposal: NYI/Leafs Trade

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Isles could then ship out Anders Lee at what is plausibly the peak of his value (to a team with whom he'd re-sign), and get a young, NHL-ready/proven D in return. Nylander is also a center who's been forced to W by the Leafs C depth.

Until Nylander can prove he can play Center over the course of 82 games, I don't think it's worth the risk trading our top prospect/1st rounders for the hope he fills our 2nd line center/top pairing defenseman void.

Nothing against Nylander but to me he seems like he will carve out a career like Alexei Kovalev. Highly skilled guy who can put up the points but at the end of the day do you want him to be part of the "core" of your team when you factor in how much of a caphit he will get

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles could then ship out Anders Lee at what is plausibly the peak of his value (to a team with whom he'd re-sign), and get a young, NHL-ready/proven D in return. Nylander is also a center who's been forced to W by the Leafs C depth.

No interest in shipping out a physical beast, who makes his living in front of the net,to bring in a soft, 60 point winger who has not even established he can play center in the nhl.

Nah, let Toronto overpay Nylander

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
If the Leafs trade Nylander for controllable contracts/prospects they would be in a position to have a sustainable successful team.

The Leafs could then sign Matt Duchene in the off season. I believe Dushene is a better player than Nylander.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If the Leafs trade Nylander for controllable contracts/prospects they would be in a position to have a sustainable successful team.

The Leafs could then sign Matt Duchene in the off season. I believe Dushene is a better player than Nylander.

We're already in a position to have a sustainable successful team without trading our 3rd best forward.

Reactions: Max Money

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
No way. Nylander is a nice player but I'm not giving up my best defensive prospect and a guy who is going to force his way onto the Isles sometime this year(as well as score plenty of goals).

Reactions: IODCPiper

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
These always end well.

Let's just fast forward... fight about Tavares now so we can lock this thread up.

Who's with me???

Reactions: CupHolders

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs need to mange the salary cap to be able to sign core pieces-

TO NYI
Nylander- Can help offset JT point production. Nylander has a proven track record of producing at the NHL level. He is versatile can play centre or the wing. He can think the game at a high level-likely play well with Barzal... Lou knows Nylander well and would feel comfortable making a trade for him as he knows what he is getting.

TO LEAFS-
Bellows
Dobson

Leafs solve their cap problems by getting two controllable assets. Bellows has a great shot a bit of a power forward who can score.

Dobson- the coveted right shot D with lots of potential. However, potential is a dangerous word as it is not yet known if Dobson skill set will translate in to the NHL.

My analysis, flame away.

Neither of the guys the Leafs would be getting have played in the NHL yet, and Nylander at this point is a 65+- point winger who is 22.

Bellows is a left winger which the Leafs could really use, since it would give them someone to go into the top 6 once Marleau is gone.
Great AHL season, but no NHL success (yet). Looks like a guy who could be a good 2nd line winger who was drafted 1 dimentional who has added a bit more of a defensive aspect to his game.

Dobson slipped to 12 this past summer, but a good amount of people said he was in the 5-10 range.
6'3 RHD Over a PPG in his draft year. Obviously the Leafs would love to have someone like this in the system. A Liljgren Dobson RHD top 4 would be pretty solid.

For this deal to happen, id assume the Leafs would need to add. Maybe a Rasanen/Korshkov/Bracco (recent 2nd round picks made by Lou).
Would help the Leafs cap situation for the next few years, but probably make them worse this year and maybe next.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Are Islander fans really saying they wouldn't deal Bellows and Dobson for Nylander?

That's insanity. Take the player who is already a top line talent with more ceiling over a player with a lower ceiling and a potential top 4 defenceman. You skip 3 years of positive development, remove the question marks, and end up with the same talent you would if your guys developed into what their potential is.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Actually somewhat interesting.

But as a leafs fan, I still don't want to be the team giving up the best asset.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I find it extremely hard to believe that Nylander will be traded but if the Islanders really wanted him they would have just offer sheeted the dude instead of giving up their top D prospect. I'd want Dobson but I'd rather not set the team back. If Willy is ever traded it'll be for a Johansen-Jones type deal not Willy for prospects

except the Islanders dont have the picks to offer sheet anything less than 10M and thats 4 1sts so if you wanna do that by all means

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Are Islander fans really saying they wouldn't deal Bellows and Dobson for Nylander?

That's insanity. Take the player who is already a top line talent with more ceiling over a player with a lower ceiling and a potential top 4 defenceman. You skip 3 years of positive development, remove the question marks, and end up with the same talent you would if your guys developed into what their potential is.

I wouldn't. First Nylander is a guy that looks like he'll always be a problem to get signed. I mean good for him on working to get paid but it's a headache I'd rather not deal with.

Yes Nylander is already a 60 point guy and would be an asset. But the Isles as an organization need Dobson. He's a non starter. I love Bellows so far in camp but if you are pressing for a trade I could be tempted to part with Bellows and Wilde.

Dobson is a non starter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seriously, it's Toronto's headache. The last thing we need to do is trade Dobson for another winger.

Defencemen of Dobson's potential as a player, and future Captain of a NHL team are hard to come by. Really I am not going to be surprised to see more of these proposals as his stature grows. And Bellows who is having a great camp, he is under entry level contract control in all probability can put up the 20 goals of what Nylander did each year through his first 2 seasons. I agree Nylander is the Leafs problem to sign. Isles don't need this.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I wouldn't. First Nylander is a guy that looks like he'll always be a problem to get signed. I mean good for him on working to get paid but it's a headache I'd rather not deal with.

Yes Nylander is already a 60 point guy and would be an asset. But the Isles as an organization need Dobson. He's a non starter. I love Bellows so far in camp but if you are pressing for a trade I could be tempted to part with Bellows and Wilde.

Dobson is a non starter.

I disagree with him being a headache, or at least want to wait until he signs before I say that. If it's an 8 year deal on a reaosnable cap, it's not a concern.

The 2nd part I could understand but I still think it would be a mistake to pass on a Nylander/Ehlers/Aho type player when talking a high end prospect and a mid level prospect.

scott99

May 13, 2005
As an Islander's fan, I'd be very interested in getting Nylander. I think he'd be a perfect #2 center behind Barzal. So it's an interesting proposal.

I think the Isles love Dobson, he literally was a gift from the hockey gods, the Isles have nobody of his skillset. Don't let the draft slot fool you, if you watched the draft, several experts had him top 10, some rated him as the 2nd best Dman in the draft. So just like stats aren't always the be all end all that sums up what the player is. The draft slotting isn't always a factor. Example: 2008 Draft, Erik Karlsson was drafted 15th overall, yet is the 2nd highest scorer in the entire 2008 draft, and the best dman from that draft. 6 defensemen drafted before Karlsson. So don't let where Dobson was drafted fool you. History shows that it doesn't always wind up the way the draft was slotted. Not saying Dobson becomes as great as Karlsson, just making the point about draft slotting can be overrated.

Me personally, I'd have a hard time trading Dobson straight up for Nylander, The projection of what he could possibly become, is too high to give up. Quite possibly another Alex Pietrangelo. A right handed, 1st pairing dman with good size, and excellent all around play, is extremely hard to give up. I don't think Islander's management would do it either. I think they know what he projects to be.

Now Bellows, I'd be more agreeable to give up. Though I love him as a prospect, and feel he will be a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL, With Oliver Wahlstrom being drafted, it wouldn't hurt as much as losing Dobson. I'd do Bellows and Dman Bode Wilde, who has a ton of all around talent as well. Great skater, excellent size, offensive mindset. That seems more fair.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Are Leaf fans interested in paying a high price for a nonexistent need at center?

You seem surprised nyi fans have no interest in paying a high price for a nonexistent need at wing.

And both Bellows and Dobson are projected to be nhl ready either this season or next.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
As an Islander's fan, I'd be very interested in getting Nylander. I think he'd be a perfect #2 center behind Barzal. So it's an interesting proposal.

I think the Isles love Dobson, he literally was a gift from the hockey gods, the Isles have nobody of his skillset. Don't let the draft slot fool you, if you watched the draft, several experts had him top 10, some rated him as the 2nd best Dman in the draft. So just like stats aren't always the be all end all that sums up what the player is. The draft slotting isn't always a factor. Example: 2008 Draft, Erik Karlsson was drafted 15th overall, yet is the 2nd highest scorer in the entire 2008 draft, and the best dman from that draft. 6 defensemen drafted before Karlsson. So don't let where Dobson was drafted fool you. History shows that it doesn't always wind up the way the draft was slotted. Not saying Dobson becomes as great as Karlsson, just making the point about draft slotting can be overrated.

Me personally, I'd have a hard time trading Dobson straight up for Nylander, The projection of what he could possibly become, is too high to give up. Quite possibly another Alex Pietrangelo. A right handed, 1st pairing dman with good size, and excellent all around play, is extremely hard to give up. I don't think Islander's management would do it either. I think they know what he projects to be.

Now Bellows, I'd be more agreeable to give up. Though I love him as a prospect, and feel he will be a 30+ goal scorer in the NHL, With Oliver Wahlstrom being drafted, it wouldn't hurt as much as losing Dobson. I'd do Bellows and Dman Bode Wilde, who has a ton of all around talent as well. Great skater, excellent size, offensive mindset. That seems more fair.

Bellows and Bode Wilde? c'mon now.

Dobson is the sweetheart du jure right now. We will see what he turns into.

Are Leaf fans interested in paying a high price for a nonexistent need at center?

You seem surprised nyi fans have no interest in paying a high price for a nonexistent need at wing.

And both Bellows and Dobson are projected to be nhl ready either this season or next.

Nylander would be a great wingman for Barzal.

I doubt Bellows or Dobson plays at Willy's level for at least 2 years, and I am not completely sold Bellows ever hits 60 points like Nylander did last year.

I guess all I can see is I will take one bonafide top winger at 22 over 2 guys I am not sure have top end potential. Quality over quantity.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Islanders are giving up a guaranteed soon to be top pairing RHD and a top 6 power forward in the making. Obviously terrible for them as all they get is a young proven top line player... lol.

Has not played a single NHL game and yet is a top pairing NHL D?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Be

Nylander would be a great wingman for Barzal.

I doubt Bellows or Dobson plays at Willy's level for at least 2 years, and I am not completely sold Bellows ever hits 60 points like Nylander did last year.

I guess all I can see is I will take one bonafide top winger at 22 over 2 guys I am not sure have top end potential. Quality over quantity.

How about waiting a few seasons to determine which player ( Dobson or Nylander), ends up the quality?

Isles do not need a 60 pt winger. They need a #1D. Dobson has the highest upside of any of their young blueliners. I honestly would move him alone for a soft, 60+ pt winger,looking like a contract headache

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How about waiting a few seasons to determine which player ( Dobson or Nylander), ends up the quality?

Isles do not need a 60 pt winger. They need a #1D. Dobson has the highest upside of any of their young blueliners. I honestly would move him alone for a soft, 60+ pt winger,looking like a contract headache
It’s interesting that you compare Nylanders current status to Dobson’s hopeful ceiling.

Tells me all I need to know.

Reactions: Max Money

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
The biggest shock would be a NYI fan admitting that Nylander is a good player rather than trashing him and calling him soft, one-dimension etc.

I get the salt from Tavares choosing us over you but jesus cool it.

That being said Islanders are rebuilding not really much of an incentive to move two young players for one. Leaf's are also not in the business of taking two smaller pieces for one bigger either. Not a good look from either side tbh.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It’s interesting that you compare Nylanders current status to Dobson’s hopeful ceiling.

Tells me all I need to know.

Kind of hard to compare their nhl play when 22 yr old Nylander is an nhl player and 18 yr old Dobson has yet to play even 1 regular season nhl game.

If Isles fans are willing to wait for Dobson to reach the nhl and contribute,not sure why Leaf fans are concerned he is not nhl ready yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad