Proposal: NYI/Leafs Trade

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Leafs need to mange the salary cap to be able to sign core pieces-

TO NYI
Nylander- Can help offset JT point production. Nylander has a proven track record of producing at the NHL level. He is versatile can play centre or the wing. He can think the game at a high level-likely play well with Barzal... Lou knows Nylander well and would feel comfortable making a trade for him as he knows what he is getting.

TO LEAFS-
Bellows
Dobson

Leafs solve their cap problems by getting two controllable assets. Bellows has a great shot a bit of a power forward who can score.

Dobson- the coveted right shot D with lots of potential. However, potential is a dangerous word as it is not yet known if Dobson skill set will translate in to the NHL.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
oh what the hell since we may be up against the cap and willie must want more than he is worth. I'd do it

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Dobson+Bellows are part of the Islanders rebuild. No way they give up that for Nylander. Thats like 2 first rounders for Nylander, considering where Dobson+Bellows were drafted. And no way Nylanders worth that much.
Its a fair deal.
Nylander was drafted 8th overall. The other two were well out of the top 10. Willie has proven it at the NHL level. The other two haven't.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Leafs really don't have a cap problem, so that reasoning of the trade should be thrown out.
Actually the trade might be very fair. Bellow and Dobson could be NHLer soon. Sure the Leafs would have a hit this year on the ice, but they would have extra cap to obtain a another player (Dman?) for at least short term help.
So you have to look at the trade as Dobson,Bellow plus that short term Dman that can obtained for Nylander' projected cap space.
Leafs would still be solid at RW with Marner, Brown, Kapanen, Leivo and if Bracco and Korshov develop in a year or two...

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I find it extremely hard to believe that Nylander will be traded but if the Islanders really wanted him they would have just offer sheeted the dude instead of giving up their top D prospect. I'd want Dobson but I'd rather not set the team back. If Willy is ever traded it'll be for a Johansen-Jones type deal not Willy for prospects

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Its a fair deal.
Nylander was drafted 8th overall. The other two were well out of the top 10. Willie has proven it at the NHL level. The other two haven't.

Gotta agree, I don't think either team would do it but the value seems pretty fair.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I find it extremely hard to believe that Nylander will be traded but if the Islanders really wanted him they would have just offer sheeted the dude instead of giving up their top D prospect. I'd want Dobson but I'd rather not set the team back. If Willy is ever traded it'll be for a Johansen-Jones type deal not Willy for prospects
I love Willie but we wouldn't get Jones for Willie.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Its a fair deal.

“Well out of the top 10”
You mean 12?

If you want to play averages, the difference between your average #8 pick and average #12 pick is not #19, and no way does NYI trade their future top pairing RHD in the middle of a rebuild. They’ve needed D forever.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't see this working for either side. Toronto takes a big risk moving a key young player for prospects at a time where they're trying to go for it. The Isles really don't seem like they should be trying to accelerate by trading two of their top young pieces for a more expensive albeit more proven young player.

member 147413

Toronto is trying to win and the Isles are rebuilding. It's a poorly thought out proposal. No interest.
Nylander is 22 lol

I think value is fair, but if the Leafs are trading a star player, they hope to get a piece that is a little more guaranteed than two good prospects.

Edit: Willie is being underrated to shit and prospects are being vastly overrated, as usual.

sticker76

Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Holy overpayment. While Nylander is good, I would not call him a "star" as some have alluded to. He has a ton of potential, but he is not a star. He is a 22 year old with 2 60 point seasons under his belt, that does not make him a star and with Matthews, Tavares, and Marner on his team, he will have better numbers, but he won't be the one driving the offense. I would love to get Nylander but not at that cost, maybe for Marner, I'd consider it as I think Marner is the better player. Also just doesn't make sense for the either team as 1 team is going for it and 1 team is rebuilding and the players being traded are the opposite direction what each team is doing.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

$1,339,575 or lessNo compensation
$1,339,576 to $2,029,659Third-round pick
$2,029,660 to $4,059,322Second-round pick
$4,059,323 to $6,088,980First and third-round picks
$6,088,981 to $8,118,641First, second and third-round picks
$8,118,642 to $10,148,302Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $10,148,302Four first-round picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So you'd rather pay 2 first a second and a 3rd?

I'd rather that thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->