Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Isles Sign Josh Ho-Sang (1 Year, $700k, two-way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I remember the hype with this guy. Islanders fans were sold. Just another bust.
I remember a majority of us had the attitude of "If it doesn't work out, it was a late first round pick so who cares".

Don't recall any sensible Islanders fan thinking we'd found a new intergenerfranchisal talent late in the first round.

The only recent first round pick I think we hyped was Beauvillier when he made the Isles the frst year but that was more of a surprise than anything.

Holmstrom was a reach and we all scratched our heads at the choice.

Wahlstrom and Dobson we considered slam dunks because both of them fell. The picks were in play prior to their drop

Bellows was a boom or bust product with lineage and a great shot

We were pretty ecstatic to turn a 2nd rounder and Griffin Reinhart into Beau and a player that fell in Barzal. I don't think any of us were prepared at how good Barzal was and would be.

Dal Colle....well, I think most of us thought his scoring touch would translate to the NHL but it obviously didn't.

Pulock far exceeded expectations. All we knew of him was a cannon of a shot; don't think anyone thought he'd be this steady.

Reinhart...ugh, that is our definitive arguement against drafting need vs best player available.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I remember a majority of us had the attitude of "If it doesn't work out, it was a late first round pick so who cares".

Don't recall any sensible Islanders fan thinking we'd found a new intergenerfranchisal talent late in the first round.

The only recent first round pick I think we hyped was Beauvillier when he made the Isles the frst year but that was more of a surprise than anything.

Holmstrom was a reach and we all scratched our heads at the choice.

Wahlstrom and Dobson we considered slam dunks because both of them fell. The picks were in play prior to their drop

Bellows was a boom or bust product with lineage and a great shot

We were pretty ecstatic to turn a 2nd rounder and Griffin Reinhart into Beau and a player that fell in Barzal. I don't think any of us were prepared at how good Barzal was and would be.

Dal Colle....well, I think most of us thought his scoring touch would translate to the NHL but it obviously didn't.

Pulock far exceeded expectations. All we knew of him was a cannon of a shot; don't think anyone thought he'd be this steady.

Reinhart...ugh, that is our definitive arguement against drafting need vs best player available.
I'd have to go back and search but I recall a lot of fans loving Ho-Sang. Hell, I wanted the Leafs to somehow snag him late. He had his issues even before the draft. Plenty of red flags with the guy. Top 5 talent, 7th round brain with him. He's gonna fizzle out if he hasn't already. If he gets his head out of his ass he could be a middle 6 if he wanted.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'd have to go back and search but I recall a lot of fans loving Ho-Sang. Hell, I wanted the Leafs to somehow snag him late. He had his issues even before the draft. Plenty of red flags with the guy. Top 5 talent, 7th round brain with him. He's gonna fizzle out if he hasn't already. If he gets his head out of his ass he could be a middle 6 if he wanted.
Can't really disagree with any of that, so don't bother searching (generally find that to be a waste of time unless it's about something really specific).

Loved the talent level yes, hopeful and optimistic he'd get his head on straight as the Isles could've used the talent then (and now) but I think many of us thought it was just an appropriate rolling of the dice....think we were thinking it was gravy since we got Dal Colle (ugh).

Still hopeful lol, just think this is more about retaining an "asset" for the expansion draft, a season-ending injury to a RW or a multi-game stint if the Isles find themselves completely out of the playoff hunt in the Metro.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I remember him saying he should be taken 1rst over all. Not sure what his issue is but his attitude was always a concern.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I remember him saying he should be taken 1rst over all. Not sure what his issue is but his attitude was always a concern.
Maybe not top five but this was a huge step for both JHS and the Islanders. With the cap situation as bad as it is they need some cheap deals. Hopefully this time he'll have a fair opportunity this time around

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

The reactions were mixed. Several folks were annoyed we used a 1st round pick on him instead of someone with less red flags. They blamed Snow and his idea about going for a guy with a rep like that. Snow actually said at the draft "They shit on me too".

I'm willing to bet the majority mirrored my reaction as well. He looks like a talented player that should be given a chance to mature and reach his potential. I have no regrets that Isles chose that route, but I'm also convinced that Isles gave him every chance and what I hoped would happen never did. One more year, but I won't expect anything from him. That whole, "fool me once" thing.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The reactions were mixed. Several folks were annoyed we used a 1st round pick on him instead of someone with less red flags. They blamed Snow and his idea about going for a guy with a rep like that. Snow actually said at the draft "They shit on me too".

I'm willing to bet the majority mirrored my reaction as well. He looks like a talented player that should be given a chance to mature and reach his potential. I have no regrets that Isles chose that route, but I'm also convinced that Isles gave him every chance and what I hoped would happen never did. One more year, but I won't expect anything from him. That whole, "fool me once" thing.
It always seems like these kids with red flags never work out. I know there are cases of it working out but these hail mary picks always seem like a waste of a high pick.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have no problem bringing him back. Worst case scenario, he plays in the AHL. Best case scenario is he has some type of an impact at the NHL level. In his limited time, he's been about a .5 ppg player, so it isn't as if he is simply overmatched at the NHL level.

Most likely scenario, he starts in the A, and gets called up in case of injury and he goes back down when the established player returns. I'm glad he's back. Despite him not putting it all together, he's still young, and it would be silly to let him go when there's no reason to let him go.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I like JHS and hope he has a 60G 60A season to show everyone that he can be a rich mans Galchenyuk!

His skills are elite...so much so that even when we try to cast him away..we're like...hmm..maybe we should hang on a little longer. He just might figure it out.

What I can tell you is that he's ready for a fight so I am expecting big things. He said he is going to force his way onto the team this year. Wait and see...If this Corona goes on any longer...we may have a 6 team league again and everyone else filing for bankruptcy.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I like JHS and hope he has a 60G 60A season to show everyone that he can be a rich mans Galchenyuk!

His skills are elite...so much so that even when we try to cast him away..we're like...hmm..maybe we should hang on a little longer. He just might figure it out.

What I can tell you is that he's ready for a fight so I am expecting big things. He said he is going to force his way onto the team this year. Wait and see...If this Corona goes on any longer...we may have a 6 team league again and everyone else filing for bankruptcy.

corona.jpg

I love and even share just a little of your optimism, even it's tinged with a bit of sarcasm.

Maybe the Corona is affecting your judgement?

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Said it on the NYI board, and I’ll say it here:

JHS: thinks “offense,” needs someone to set up who is ALSO defensively capable, preferably a center to balance things out.

JGP: defensively smart center capable of producing on line #3.

Given the current cap situation, the phrase “worth a try” paints it LIGHT. The complementary styles make too much sense. More than worth the attempt.

Reactions: Sheva7

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was just kicked off his SHL team after 5 games that he was on loan for.

I think we can finally put this prospect to bed. He's done.
While I tend to agree. I really think the guy needs a new organization.

How he is going to get that is even harder now, but stranger things have happened.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
He's going to be added as a sweetener to a cap dump, he basically held out for more AHL money, I don't get it.
What's so complicated that you don't get.

Team is offering a two way deal... he knows for a fact that he will be sent to minors, where players get on average 90k. Yeah I would hold out for a fee extra thousand bucks.

225k is high for the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad