Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Isles Sign Josh Ho-Sang (1 Year, $700k, two-way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I guess, but after you waive and he passes, I think its okay to let him try it again somewhere he fits better.

It doesn't happen on a regular basis, but back in the day Danny Briere cleared waivers early in his career with the Coyotes. Briere would later admit that was a humbling experience and served as a wakeup call. To that point, Briere was difficult to coach and had it in his mind that his skill alone would keep him in the NHL.

I personally wouldn't have qualified him, but it's not like the Islanders gave him a huge contract. Once they qualified him and he filed for arbitration, this was more or less an eventuality.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Too bad that they didn't meet on the arbitrator. :D

"You a so freaking bad that you would NEVER be worth even the league MINIMUM!"

Here's the league minimum salary for Josh Ho-Sang.

Reactions: Morrison

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That was my guess. Either fighting for a 1-way or more AHL money.

He's going to be added as a sweetener to a cap dump, he basically held out for more AHL money, I don't get it.

I think he has realized he will be in the AHL in 2020-2021. Getting 225k instead of 70k is a pretty big deal. He will earn more than triple of what he earned last year without even needing to be called up.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does Seatle expansion play a part in this?
(I have no clue how that works)

No. I'm sure he'll be exposed and Seattle can select him, but he would need to play 40 NHL games this year in order to meet the exposure requirements. Teams have to expose 2 forwards and 1 dman who played at least 40 games in the previous year, or 70 games over the previous 2 years. It's possible that they will change the requirements since this is likely to be a shortened season, but it's doubtful that Ho Sang will get enough games regardless.

Reactions: tellermine

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Why do they keep messing with this kid. Just let him have a chance somewhere else

When will this player get a chance with a different organization lol.

Why dont they just let him go already. I hate when teams do this

Except he did have a chance elsewhere. They waived him so any NHL team could have had him for FREE, and nobody claimed him. Waivers was created specifically to make sure players don't languish in the minors and are able get a fair chance in the NHL if they are indeed NHL material. The Isles waived him, which gave him a chance to catch on elsewhere, but nobody wanted him. He isn't being denied chances.

There are a lot of players that have been waived, yet have had successful careers (Jussi Jokinen was waived a couple times for example) and others that were waived and never NHL material (Zach Boychuk for example).

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Except he did have a chance elsewhere. They waived him so any NHL team could have had him for FREE, and nobody claimed him. Waivers was created specifically to make sure players don't languish in the minors and are able get a fair chance in the NHL if they are indeed NHL material. The Isles waived him, which gave him a chance to catch on elsewhere, but nobody wanted him. He isn't being denied chances.

Daniel Sprong was waived then traded for. I don't think that is really a good explanation.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Daniel Sprong was waived then traded for. I don't think that is really a good explanation.

It's a perfect explanation, but you don't want to acknowledge it because it doesn't fit your narrative.

There are cases where a guy is waived, but a team prefers to trade instead to offset salaries or for other reasons (Jussi Jokinen for example). There are other examples where guys just get claimed to get a chance elsewhere (Zach Boychuk, Michael Grabner for the Islanders, for example). In BOTH cases, the guy got a chance to catch on elsewhere.

IN JHS's case, nobody wanted him for free. Other teams had a chance to get him and chose not to.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Trades are often preferable to waiver pickups because teams might prefer to swap contracts rather than add one. If a team has their own guy who needs a change of scenery, then swapping one for the other makes sense, especially if the team is near the contract limit.

Or it could be a cap issue, if the waived player has a significant cap hit. Teams would rather trade their cap dump for your cap dump, than to pick up your cap dump on waivers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Trades are often preferable to waiver pickups because teams might prefer to swap contracts rather than add one. If a team has their own guy who needs a change of scenery, then swapping one for the other makes sense, especially if the team is near the contract limit.

Or it could be a cap issue, if the waived player has a significant cap hit. Teams would rather trade their cap dump for your cap dump, than to pick up your cap dump on waivers.

Which is my point. Just trade Ho-Sang.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Damn, I was hoping for the most frivolous arbitration case of all-time. My joke guess was only off by 125k in the minors too.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
I'm surprised there hasn't been a 'change of scenery' type of trade with him. Are there any other guys around the league of similar talent that could use a change of scenery?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Which is my point. Just trade Ho-Sang.

Maybe no team is interested in trading for him? He was waived and nobody wanted him for $863K salary/cap hit last year. He was unhappy about being sent to the AHL so the team told him to stay home while they tried to find a trade partner, but they were unsuccessful in finding a trade for Ho-Sang so he reported to the AHL in December. Just because the Pens were able to find a trade partner for Sprong doesn't mean ones available for JHS.

It's not hard to believe that with all the talent available for cheap with Covid that there may not be any/many trade opportunities for him now. Maybe that will change once the season does start or down the road. Maybe now that he's signed, they'll be able to pull one off. Who knows.

The Isles gave other teams a chance to get him via waivers and trying to find a trade and there were no takers, so can't see why posters want to blame the team for denying him chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad