Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Islanders sign Luca Sbisa to one-year deal [1 yr, 1.5 AAV]

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sbisa has played his best hockey really in the last 2 seasons. Doesn't mean he's a top 4 dman, and he was terrible against the Caps, but this signing isn't all that bad. It's not like the Isles have a ton of dmen with NHL experience in the organization.

I'd imagine the only thing this does is push Sebastian Aho to the minors while he's still waiver exempt and make Sbisa part of the 7 dmen that they have.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
This is fine. Depth isn’t a bad thing.

Only caveat is if he blocks Devon Toews from making the top 6; Toews has been outstanding so far.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Love it.

Once again people commenting who haven't watched the Islanders much or any Isles pre-season games this year.

Sbisa has played and looked way better than Pelech/Mayfield/Hickey. I love it as a #6 D man. The only way this signing would annoy me is if he takes a spot away from Toews but hopefully that won't be the case.

Reactions: Jester9881

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not a bad pick up, we tried him as a top 4, and it didn't work out. I think the responsibilities were too much for him. He will be a fine bottom pairing guy who can fill into the top 4 if there are injuries.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
1.5M for a Stanley Cup finalist D man that averaged 19+ mins of ice and 16+mins in the regular season and playoffs is very fair.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
1.5M for a Stanley Cup finalist D man that averaged 19+ mins of ice and 16+mins in the regular season and playoffs is very fair.
I mean, he was healthy scratched for a bunch of games in the playoffs, he was very much a borderline NHLer last year. Agreed it's not much of a commitment, certainly a better deal than 4 years/$3 mil AAV for Komarov (healthy scratched most of the playoffs), or bringing back Matt Martin with 2 years/$2.5 mil AAV left (healthy scratched almost half the regular season, and all of the playoffs). However, Sbisa is very much a borderline NHLer, he's arguably worth $1.5 mil, but a lot of teams have an AHLer/prospect who'd be a better 6D for less $$$.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
I mean, he was healthy scratched for a bunch of games in the playoffs, he was very much a borderline NHLer last year. Agreed it's not much of a commitment, certainly a better deal than 4 years/$3 mil AAV for Komarov (healthy scratched most of the playoffs), or bringing back Matt Martin with 2 years/$2.5 mil AAV left (healthy scratched almost half the regular season, and all of the playoffs). However, Sbisa is very much a borderline NHLer, he's arguably worth $1.5 mil, but a lot of teams have an AHLer/prospect who'd be a better 6D for less $$$.
He was also god awful in the Winnipeg series but MAF's performance bailed him out that series

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sbisa is definitely a great magician for his ability to earn contracts while sucking.

Reactions: BHD

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He'll be a bottom pairing or healthy scratch this year then onto a PTO with another team next year, probably Ottawa.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's become pretty much a human meme around here, but i don't see anything particularly wrong with Sbisa on a cheap 1-year deal. He's not really going to move the needle much in any direction for the Isles fate this season. He seems like exactly the sort of veteran "good in the room" player you don't mind sitting in the press box more nights than not, instead of having a young and still developing player rotting in the press box or something.

He is actually pretty okay at a lot of things defensively, and can actually be downright good at separating opponents from the puck. It's just that he's exceptionally limited and slow processing things with the puck on his stick. If you acknowledge that going in, don't expect a Top-4D, and have a system that can insulate him from his own puckhandling foibles...he can be a serviceable bottom-pairing defender when he plays...and he can be an excellent press box spectator who isn't going to rock the boat.

Plus, for Isles fans...you not only get the memes and the convenient low effort scapegoat, he's also usually hilarious in interviews, team media and the like. Having a local Luca's Pizza franchise has its perks.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Good grief.

Lou has signed a whole lot of crappy players this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->