Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Islanders re-sign J-F Berube (1 year, $750K)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Three-headed monster or is Halak on the way out still? I can't see Berube not being in the NHL.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How is Berube overrated? Nobody ever talks about him and he signed a contract for less than $700k.

Lot of people within the Isles organization have made comments saying they see him as a "potential starter"... granted it's lipservice but I really don't see Berube ever becoming a starting goalie in the NHL, even for a meh team. To me he tops out as a Nilsson/Poulin type of journeyman goalie, two goalies who Isles fans also heard the "omg starter potential" lipservice for.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Lot of people within the Isles organization have made comments saying they see him as a "potential starter"... granted it's lipservice but I really don't see Berube ever becoming a starting goalie in the NHL, even for a meh team. To me he tops out as a Nilsson/Poulin type of journeyman goalie, two goalies who Isles fans also heard the "omg starter potential" lipservice for.

I'll admit I did think that of Poulin, but never of Nilsson.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'll admit I did think that of Poulin, but never of Nilsson.

I distinctly remember being fed (and this is the fault of fans as well as management) that of the Koskinen/Nilsson/Poulin trio, any of the three could be our potential starter and it was absurd to suggest that at the very least, one of them wouldn't be locked-in starter by 2016. We sure would be in a sticky situation right now figuring out which of our starting goalies to keep and which we'd have to trade.

I get that vibe from Sorokin right now who a lot of people in HFIsles treat as our new goaltending savior, but Sorokin is actually putting up damn good numbers in the KHL to back up those fantasies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I still don't like the fact that Management wants to go into the year with Greiss/Berube, but you know it's going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad