OT: NYI fan newly in St. Louis - Need Help watching games

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Going to see the Isles in St Louis in January with a few buddies (part of our annual roadtrip game). If you decide to go to the game, let me know and if you want we can meet up for a beer-I suspect there will not be many Islander fans at the game :D

I'll be there with the family. Been to the last couple in STL since my son moved there. Actually more Islander fans than you would think.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
My son moved to STL a few years ago. Originally Central West End, now Clayton. One of the nice things is going to Blues games. Head to one of dozens of bars in Soulard or downtown, have a beer (or not) and hop on their free bus or trolley to the game. Trolley back, have another beer (or not) and head home. No parking fee, no traffic, good times.

Volek25

Apr 23, 2007
St. Louis, MO
My son moved to STL a few years ago. Originally Central West End, now Clayton. One of the nice things is going to Blues games. Head to one of dozens of bars in Soulard or downtown, have a beer (or not) and hop on their free bus or trolley to the game. Trolley back, have another beer (or not) and head home. No parking fee, no traffic, good times.

Cool, I’m in Clayton which is like 15-20 mins away from everything out here apparently. It’s a nice little town. CWE is really nice as well.

Haven’t been to Soulard area yet but heard lot about it. One thing I gotta get used to out here is driving every everywhere and can’t drink all night like ya can in NYC.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Cool, I’m in Clayton which is like 15-20 mins away from everything out here apparently. It’s a nice little town. CWE is really nice as well.

Haven’t been to Soulard area yet but heard lot about it. One thing I gotta get used to out here is driving every everywhere and can’t drink all night like ya can in NYC.

He's in Clayton too. You say it's 15-20 minutes drive to go anywhere, but that's the nice thing about STL. It's only 15-20 minutes to get anywhere.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He's in Clayton too. You say it's 15-20 minutes drive to go anywhere, but that's the nice thing about STL. It's only 15-20 minutes to get anywhere.

Hmmm? Maybe the Islander players should move there to shorten their commute to Barclays?

Also, to clarify my earlier post. I only use NHL.tv on a streaming device to my television. I have it set so the scores are hidden. Therefore when I fast forward through the commercials and intermission I don’t see how bad the Isles are trailing.

Reactions: PK Cronin

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Fubotv is also an option. Unsure of the cost, but I used it some last year to watch streams online. There were glitches, but I watched most of the games I wanted to see.

islesmb

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC (from Bellmore)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Spectrum customers- Center Ice or NHL.tv?

Moving to Charlotte on Saturday. Don't care too much for DVR option, prefer to watch live. Which one is best?

Do you plan on watching on your TV only? If so, then I'd go with Center Ice. It's a seamless transition from watching on cable in-market. Just go to a different channel. For NHL.tv, you would need to go through something else to get it on your TV (a wire, Chromecast, PlayStation, Roku, whatever). I mean, it's super easy (I have Chromecast and it's hitting one button), but I don't see a reason in adding an additional layer for no reason. The upside for NHL.tv is you can watch anywhere you have internet. So in any room on your laptop, on your phone, at a friend's house, whatever.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I don't have an answer to your question but make sure to check these guys out. Isles Meetup_CLT (@islesmeetup_clt) | Twitter I've gone to a couple of games with them in Raleigh. Good luck with the move.

Yup thanks, been following them for a while. Won't make the trip up to Raleigh for the opener but will most likely be at the bar meetup for the home opener. Glad to have a built in Isles community down there!

Do you plan on watching on your TV only? If so, then I'd go with Center Ice. It's a seamless transition from watching on cable in-market. Just go to a different channel. For NHL.tv, you would need to go through something else to get it on your TV (a wire, Chromecast, PlayStation, Roku, whatever). I mean, it's super easy (I have Chromecast and it's hitting one button), but I don't see a reason in adding an additional layer for no reason. The upside for NHL.tv is you can watch anywhere you have internet. So in any room on your laptop, on your phone, at a friend's house, whatever.

Yes, I'd rather watch on the TV only. But thanks for the input, I do have an Xbox one and ChromeCast so I just have to think about it since you can take it with you anywhere. Thanks!

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
So XFinity isn't taking any center ice orders at the moment. Does anyone know what is going on. They said to expect an update tomorrow. This is cutting it close.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I've been using Gamecenter and NHL.tv for around 7 years and have always been able to play games from the beginning. It even asks if you want to start from the beginning or not. Buffering also isn't a problem that I encounter, it's almost always as smooth as watching television. I watch on my computer or via a Roku on my television. The delay is really slight, maybe a minute at most, so it doesn't bother me a whole lot. It also has a built in DVR function that allows you to go back and watch any game from the season.

The commercial part is true. It's incredibly annoying to watch the same commercial (literally the same commercial) back to back to back. Also, there have been a few times, specifically when they were transitioning from Gamecenter to NHL.tv, that the hidden score thing didn't work properly. Haven't had an issue with that in a while though. Can't say I ever scrolled down to the bottom though.

So, bringing this back up because this thing always happens to me and I'm curious as it doesn't happen to you.

I'm watching Devils/Flyers right now. On my laptop on Chrome. Ad blockers off. The stream is fine, HD, etc. However, it hiccups every once in a while. Basically, I'm watching, and then it's as if the page refreshes, and I can tell because you see a URL flash in the bottom left as Chrome does when it's loading a new screen (or even if you hover over a link). This refresh causes a little hiccup and it is so frustrating. Chrome is up to date, Windows is up to date, restarted, etc.

This doesn't happen to you? It doesn't happen when I cast on Chromecast, but after talking to NHL, it's because that's actually a different feed. But because it's a different feed, if I want to watch on delay, I can't actually cast the media player and invoke the Chromecast feed (as opposed to the browser feed) since I can't control the live button from the Chromecast feed. Instead, I have to cast the tab (mirror my screen) so I have my actual browser and can control the live and forward 10 seconds buttons (and if I f*** this up, it spoils the game). But, because now it's my browser feed, I get the hiccup.

Edit: So I was able to record my screen to show:

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So, bringing this back up because this thing always happens to me and I'm curious as it doesn't happen to you.

I'm watching Devils/Flyers right now. On my laptop on Chrome. Ad blockers off. The stream is fine, HD, etc. However, it hiccups every once in a while. Basically, I'm watching, and then it's as if the page refreshes, and I can tell because you see a URL flash in the bottom left as Chrome does when it's loading a new screen (or even if you hover over a link). This refresh causes a little hiccup and it is so frustrating. Chrome is up to date, Windows is up to date, restarted, etc.

This doesn't happen to you? It doesn't happen when I cast on Chromecast, but after talking to NHL, it's because that's actually a different feed. But because it's a different feed, if I want to watch on delay, I can't actually cast the media player and invoke the Chromecast feed (as opposed to the browser feed) since I can't control the live button from the Chromecast feed. Instead, I have to cast the tab (mirror my screen) so I have my actual browser and can control the live and forward 10 seconds buttons (and if I **** this up, it spoils the game). But, because now it's my browser feed, I get the hiccup.

Edit: So I was able to record my screen to show:

That does not happen to me, ever. I'd be pretty annoyed if that occurred and totally get whey it's bothersome. I'll give you my setup so we can compare that way.

When I'm watching the games on my television, I'm using my Roku and the NHL app in order to watch the game. I do not screen cast or mirror my screen to my television via Chromecast or Roku. I've done that before with pre-season streams and lower quality ones, where I have experienced issues, but I've always chalked it up to the feed being bad because it isn't intended to be viewed that way.

The other way I watch games is via my browser and the NHL.tv web page. I just log in, select my game, and then watch it on one of my monitors. I put it in full screen mode and don't touch it again if it's live, but will use the fast forward feature on DVR'ed content. This is how I watch 90% of games.

I use the latest version of Chrome and have my adblocker turned off as well. I've never noticed it refreshing before in the corner, but I'll take a look tonight when I'm watching the game (I'm at work right now otherwise I'd test it now) and let you know if that happens to me. I'm sure you have, but I'd clear the cache and everything if you haven't done so already to see if that smooths it out for you. My PC is also a desktop that's pretty decent, though getting older. I have a GTX 970, 16GB's of RAM, an older i5 processor, and a really good gigabit internet connection (though, I used to have crappy Comcast internet with the same PC and it still worked fine).

How quickly into a stream or how often into a stream will that hiccup happen?

Last edited:

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
That does not happen to me, ever. I'd be pretty annoyed if that occurred and totally get whey it's bothersome. I'll give you my setup so we can compare that way.

When I'm watching the games on my television, I'm using my Roku and the NHL app in order to watch the game. I do not screen cast or mirror my screen to my television via Chromecast or Roku. I've done that before with pre-season streams and lower quality ones, where I have experienced issues, but I've always chalked it up to the feed being bad because it isn't intended to be viewed that way.

The other way I watch games is via my browser and the NHL.tv web page. I just log in, select my game, and then watch it on one of my monitors. I put it in full screen mode and don't touch it again if it's live, but will use the fast forward feature on DVR'ed content. This is how I watch 90% of games.

I use the latest version of Chrome and have my adblocker turned off as well. I've never noticed it refreshing before in the corner, but I'll take a look tonight when I'm watching the game (I'm at work right now otherwise I'd test it now) and let you know if that happens to me. I'm sure you have, but I'd clear the cache and everything if you haven't done so already to see if that smooths it out for you. My PC is also a desktop that's pretty decent, though getting older. I have a GTX 970, 16GB's of RAM, an older i5 processor, and a really good gigabit internet connection (though, I used to have crappy Comcast internet with the same PC and it still worked fine).

How quickly into a stream or how often into a stream will that hiccup happen?

Thanks PK. The way we watch on our computer is the same. And my specs on my computer are def good enough. I also watch and use the 10 second jump forward button. Kind of annoying as a proxy for fast forwarding, but that's not too bad. Unless you have another way of fast forwarding. Sometimes it also starts up a commercial that you can't fast forward. Either way, that's all palatable.

But the hiccups. Ugh. It happens right away. It's all the time. I'd say there's a hiccup every 15 to 30 seconds.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks PK. The way we watch on our computer is the same. And my specs on my computer are def good enough. I also watch and use the 10 second jump forward button. Kind of annoying as a proxy for fast forwarding, but that's not too bad. Unless you have another way of fast forwarding. Sometimes it also starts up a commercial that you can't fast forward. Either way, that's all palatable.

But the hiccups. Ugh. It happens right away. It's all the time. I'd say there's a hiccup every 15 to 30 seconds.

That's an absurd amount of hiccups.

As for the fast forwarding, I don't use the 10 second skip a whole lot for that reason. I just drag on the seek bar about 2 minutes (after a while you figure out how much further along you have to click) and let it go from there. It'll let you skip the commercials if you do it that way. On my Roku, the bar gives a time stamp so I know exactly when two minute are up for commercials and 18 minutes for the intermissions.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
That's an absurd amount of hiccups.

As for the fast forwarding, I don't use the 10 second skip a whole lot for that reason. I just drag on the seek bar about 2 minutes (after a while you figure out how much further along you have to click) and let it go from there. It'll let you skip the commercials if you do it that way. On my Roku, the bar gives a time stamp so I know exactly when two minute are up for commercials and 18 minutes for the intermissions.

Yea, agreed. The hiccups are insane. Honestly, if I am watching on my browser, I'll just stream illegally. I've told this to NHL support since they can't seem to find out what's wrong.

I've tried the progress bar thing... I guess I have to get a bit better at that. The one thing I hate is can't you tell if the game is going to OT based on how much bar is left? :(

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So I just started streaming a game from last night while at work on one of our crappy computers. It has a slight hiccup similar to yours, just not as bad. I think started watching the end of the Carolina game live, which didn't have nearly as many hiccups and was mostly smooth. I'll continue to try out different streams and will definitely check on my home PC later on. Just figured I'd give you an update from this POS computer.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
So I just started streaming a game from last night while at work on one of our crappy computers. It has a slight hiccup similar to yours, just not as bad. I think started watching the end of the Carolina game live, which didn't have nearly as many hiccups and was mostly smooth. I'll continue to try out different streams and will definitely check on my home PC later on. Just figured I'd give you an update from this POS computer.

Thanks man. I'm gonna try posting my image on the main board to see if anyone faces it. It's just weird since this computer is definitely capable. I've streamed MLB, Sunday Ticket, etc. Only the NHL.tv has issues.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks man. I'm gonna try posting my image on the main board to see if anyone faces it. It's just weird since this computer is definitely capable. I've streamed MLB, Sunday Ticket, etc. Only the NHL.tv has issues.

Upon further review, my stream does the same refreshing thing, but the stutter isn't nearly as pronounced. Not sure why though. Did anyone on the main boards have an answer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->