Proposal: NYI - EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Trades that have no value and a downgrade. That’s been the MO for everyone trading with the Islanders on here. Sending back old players on terrible contracts for younger players on a budget deal. Welcome to the world of terrible offers. If you can’t deal with if, don’t respond.

You think ISLANDERS fans have it bad on here?

Our GM’s last two major trades gifted the Devils a Hart winner and gifted you guys a legit #1 RW for a third line centre. OP is exactly what we get offered for our good players - huge downgrades, B prospects, and futures.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Our GM’s last two major trades gifted the Devils a Hart winner and gifted you guys a legit #1 RW for a third line centre. OP is exactly what we get offered for our good players - huge downgrades, B prospects, and futures.

Think it can probably be said about every fan base. Nobody is going to come on here and offer their best players for scraps. The trade proposals with the most equal value are the ones where both team's fans say yes or both team's fans say no. That doesn't mean it's the best trade proposal, just means it involves equal value.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

But did Connor McDavid swear loyalty to your team only to sign with Toronto?

Oilers have suffered from those two awful Chia trades (and again, thanks so much for Barzy), but in terms of immediate future there's a solid core headlined by the undisputed best hockey player for now and the foreseeable future. Honestly, nobody would be surprised if Edmonton gets its sheet together and takes home a cup in the next 5 years, it's almost expected when you have a player like Connor.

When you have Toronto fans sending you private messages on July 1st telling you how much they hate you and your fanbase, how glad they are to see you suffer... it's certainly on level with the Hall-for-Larsson swap. But again, the Lebron of hockey is signed long-term to play for the Oilers - it can't be that bad.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The Milbury-esque obsession with trading 1st round picks and prospects to make a below average team slightly more average seriously confuses me.

Last year, we needed to trade our 1st AND the Calgary 1st for veteran help like Lehner or Graubauer or Ceci so Tavares would stay. Let's not forget June 2017, when I was reading "If Sakic asks for Barzal+Sorokin+Hamonic+1st for Duchene, we have to make that trade".

There is no veteran "missing puzzle piece" that's worth pushing our chips in the pot for. That's not an insult at RNH, it's a comment on the current Islanders. We failed at our last rebuild, with guys either leaving the organization (Snake, CDH, Hamonic, Nino) or high picks ending up not becoming core players (Strome, Reinhart, likely Dal Colle).

Does it suck to be an Islanders fan and live through all that rebuilding for nothing? Yes. Is the best step to scream and cry like a toddler "BUT I'M TIRED OF LOSING I WANNA WIN RIGHT NOW!" Absolutely, unequivocally, no.

We have a #1C and a very strong prospect pool in nearly all areas except center. We have organizational stability: Lou, Trotz, Korn instead of Snow, Weight, Braithwaite. We need to start behaving like a professional hockey organization and not some hippie chick who decides to sell her Seattle apartment and go backpacking across Asia because "that's what the universe told me to do".

OP took out the 1st and said JHS and Nelson. Are you really opposed to that? Now we aren't even talking about draft picks we are talking about a solid prospect with good upside buried in warts and a guy who will be a UFA in a year. Seems fair on our end. Maybe not for Oil.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
OP took out the 1st and said JHS and Nelson. Are you really opposed to that? Now we aren't even talking about draft picks we are talking about a solid prospect with good upside buried in warts and a guy who will be a UFA in a year. Seems fair on our end. Maybe not for Oil.

Seems too fair on our end. Nelson + JHS isn't getting RNH to solve our 2C issues. We'd have to pony up better assets than that, a price not worth paying.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

It’s not. Brock Nelson is not a viable starting point for RNH. Hard stop.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But did Connor McDavid swear loyalty to your team only to sign with Toronto?

Oilers have suffered from those two awful Chia trades (and again, thanks so much for Barzy), but in terms of immediate future there's a solid core headlined by the undisputed best hockey player for now and the foreseeable future. Honestly, nobody would be surprised if Edmonton gets its sheet together and takes home a cup in the next 5 years, it's almost expected when you have a player like Connor.

When you have Toronto fans sending you private messages on July 1st telling you how much they hate you and your fanbase, how glad they are to see you suffer... it's certainly on level with the Hall-for-Larsson swap. But again, the Lebron of hockey is signed long-term to play for the Oilers - it can't be that bad.

There are a lot of Toronto fans, so, naturally, there are a lot of scum of the earth Toronto fans. I’m sorry that happened to you and no one should have to see their star walk for nothing, particularly not to the ‘centre of the universe’.

You have to understand Oiler fans weren’t thinking about winning ONE Cup when they got McDavid, they were thinking how many. Managerial mismanagement has taken what should have been the next Blackhawks or Penguins - a dynasty in the making - and turned it into the 2017-18 Cleveland Cavaliers. The star of the league surrounded by has-beens, hangers-on, and a whole lot of mediocre.

We’re faced with the very real prospect of spending Connor McDavid’s prime years just trying to make the playoffs. Ten years as the butthole of the NHL, four first overall picks, and we’re just happy to be in the playoffs - horrific, and it’s trash deals like OP’s that got us here.

OP proposes we trade one of three forwards worth their salt for one year of Brock f***ing Nelson and a prospect with an attitude a mile wide and more question marks than the Riddler. We’ve already seen Rome crumble around our ears before the goddamn Coliseum ever got built and our moron GM’s dealings with your team - because he values his f***ing friendships with the other GMs in this league over getting fair value in trades - is a massive reason for that. Between the Barzal fiasco, the Eberle / Strome disappointment, and the Taylor Hall crown f***ing jewel I wouldn’t authorize Chiarelli to make any bigger deals than a five dollar bill for a foot long sub.

Without the possibility of a lottery pick, OP is outright disgusting.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Still worth more to us than any combination of Nelson/Ho-Sang/Pick.

Agreed. If you guys weren't in win now mode, or at least in the neighborhood, I'd say that the potential top 5 pick would be worth more than RNH alone. The others would be gravy.

But guys in the 3-10 range are always a bit of a crap shoot, we've both seen that in our respective teams. They are going to be good.....but how good is always the question.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. If you guys weren't in win now mode, or at least in the neighborhood, I'd say that the potential top 5 pick would be worth more than RNH alone. The others would be gravy.

But guys in the 3-10 range are always a bit of a crap shoot, we've both seen that in our respective teams. They are going to be good.....but how good is always the question.

Maybe, but that’s not guaranteed. And another 18 year old won’t fix this mess. As far as I’m concerned RNH is untouchable. Especially with the ‘value’ OP wants to give up.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Isles need a proper tank to replace Tavares, not just a quick retool. Let them tank for 1 year, grab an elite piece similar to Barzal/Tavares level and then you can make trades like a 1st + something for RNH.

Oilers also don't do this because that package is usless to them. They can't affors to waste McDavid's peak years and trading away RNH, a great 2C, for futures hurts them greatly.

Oilers should just wait for Yamamoto, Pulju to fill out the wings. I'm high on Yamamoto.

Something like: ?
xxx - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Draisaitl - Drake
Lucic - Strome - Yamamoto

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not the least bit interested.
While our depth on the RW sucks right now, we still need quality up front so that guys like McDavid and Drai actually have people to work with that enables them to produce.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
RNH looks to be locked in on McDavid’s LW. He’s a 50-60 point player in his own right, he could hit 70 or more on McDavid’s wing.

If he's playing on McDavid's wing all year and if he and McDavid manage to stay healthy I'll frankly be incredibly disappointed if he scores anything less than 82 points. If he can help Maroon crack 40 points Hopkins either gets PPG pace on his wing or Hopkins is a 3rd line C at best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know that value is that far off, but I don't see us moving RNH unless we are getting a proven player with no question marks.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
Isles need a proper tank to replace Tavares, not just a quick retool. Let them tank for 1 year, grab an elite piece similar to Barzal/Tavares level and then you can make trades like a 1st + something for RNH.

Oilers also don't do this because that package is usless to them. They can't affors to waste McDavid's peak years and trading away RNH, a great 2C, for futures hurts them greatly.

Oilers should just wait for Yamamoto, Pulju to fill out the wings. I'm high on Yamamoto.

Something like: ?
xxx - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Draisaitl - Drake
Lucic - Strome - Yamamoto
That depth is horrific and that’s better than their defense. You talk about wasting Mcdavids peak years but w/this team that’s gonna happen regardless. They need major shakeups.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not the least bit interested in trading RNH at this point unless it's for a big overpay. We got to see the makings of some beautiful chemistry with him and McDavid in the last part of the season when they were finally tried together. I really don't think you'll find much an appetite for Oiler fans willing to trade RNH right now in general. If Yamo and Pulju break out and establish themselves this season (probably a fairly big "if") we can maybe re-visit in a year.

It's a hard 'no'.

Reactions: 780il

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
To Isles:

RNH

To Edm:

Top 5 Protected NYI 1st
Ho-Sang

Fair or overpay?

Edit: Adding two more potential packages

2) RNH for Nelson and Unprotected 1st