Post-Game Talk: NYI@DRW

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Trotz saying "principal point of contact" so apparently he doesn't know the rule either. That language isn't in there anymore.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Clutterbuck is one of those players I've always disliked but I honestly don't have a concrete reason why that I can think of.
Same, I just think it's because has a dumb goony name - but I don't think he's ever done anything dirty or Tom Wilson-y.

Man, too bad they don't give out trophies for blowing 2-goal leads, Wings would need to build a second ceiling just to house all the banners.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Tough loss with 3 unanswered. Showed a lot of fight which is a positive. Larkin has taken a few tough hits the past few games and keeps coming back. Tough kid.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Why? We want them to be a bubble team wallowing in mediocrity, not have the best chance at Hughes (0r Kakko or Dach). Too good of a draft.
True. Only atm. I can point and laugh at them. They need to just miss the POs.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Idk man, living amongst Blackhawks fans trying to wallow in my sorrow, saying things like "lose for Hughes" when I walk into work makes me kinda itchy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He needs to work on all parts of his game. The only thing he seems to do well is being a big human.
His board work and net front play is really pretty impressive for a 19 year old. Stats wise he's doing just as well as most comparable 2017 draftees, or better.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Idk man, living amongst Blackhawks fans trying to wallow in my sorrow, saying things like "lose for Hughes" when I walk into work makes me kinda itchy.

If you want to feel better, winning the lottery right now for the Hawks might put them directly into mediocrity. I like Hughes a ton, but man the Hawks contracts aren't going anywhere. Keith and Seabrook are done being remotely elite with one guy a mediocre middle pairing guy and the other guy an average third pairing guy and they are not close to expiring. Toews is having a nice push back year, but his decline has been talked about, so yeah you have two Kane caliber players if they land Hughes as that is kind of who Hughes reminds people of anyway. But is that really enough to go anywhere... Not really and they wind up wasting the years before Hughes immediately becomes a 10+ million dollar player, so just as you lose Toews he immediately sucks up the cash freeing up. Same with Boqvist likely hitting Keith's incredibly cap friendly hit for his next contact.

Now it isn't impossible, but all I am saying is either LA or Chicago (two huge markets to house the next American superstar) will be interesting because of the contracts they carry. Tough to see them shedding some of these guys, both probably have the easiest time dealing their franchise tenders so they need to go unearth a goalie as well if that happens in terms of the build. We will see, but while they have big assets those guys have full control over if they were shopped. It is hard to see this being a fast fix in either location. We are more ideally situated by a good amount in my opinion and we still have a ton of unknowns in our rebuild. But at least we are draining 40+ million off our cap over the next two seasons.

Reactions: Ezekial

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I feel like if our pp was half decent Larkin would easily be a ppg or higher right now. Maybe he's contributing to its mediocrity tho

Reactions: mantha39

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
honestly I'd rather they give all Vanek's minutes to Witkowski and call up someone from the minors on D. Vanek is such a floater and a waste.

I actually don't think Vanek is floating, I think he is just a step behind the play now, that it looks like floating. I do wish we trade him before the deadline, if there is absolutely anyone interested in a player that appears to be done skating wise at the NHL level. He still has great passing skills, but they are completely wasted because he is always a step behind where he needs to be. At least last time he was here he was skating better.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Same, I just think it's because has a dumb goony name - but I don't think he's ever done anything dirty or Tom Wilson-y.

Man, too bad they don't give out trophies for blowing 2-goal leads, Wings would need to build a second ceiling just to house all the banners.

He used to run guys a lot, especially when he was in Minny.

Reactions: Oddbob and 14ari13

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Witkowski has looked good in the games hes played. Always throws a big hit but he makes a lot of smart plays in his own end, they might not be fancy but you dont see him turning the puck over or anything very often

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I actually don't think Vanek is floating, I think he is just a step behind the play now, that it looks like floating. I do wish we trade him before the deadline, if there is absolutely anyone interested in a player that appears to be done skating wise at the NHL level. He still has great passing skills, but they are completely wasted because he is always a step behind where he needs to be. At least last time he was here he was skating better.
Not sure if he has the personality for it, but maybe after this season he could be a good assistant coach.

Reactions: Oddbob

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like if our pp was half decent Larkin would easily be a ppg or higher right now. Maybe he's contributing to its mediocrity tho

Larkin not being a great PP player is a part of that. I liked switching him into the bumper role in the middle the other night. That is where his closest NHL comparable eventually cemented his role on the PP in Bergeron. I think Larkin will compete and move around in the middle and he is a guy that will fight for position and disrupt the opposition box. I would like to keep him there long-term and see if he can discover that spot as his own on the top PP unit. You can get a lot of points there, both Bergeron and Point live in that area on the PP and make the most of it.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
He reminds me of a young Keith Primeau...When he fills out more his speed/coordination should improve.

Primeau had some pretty impressive seasons after he was dealt to the Whalers.

Primeau looked huge when I was a kid. Met him and Kozlov at a card shop signing years ago. He did have a three year solid streak with the Whalers/Hurricanes. I agree about Ras. He's going to improve all facets of his game as he gets older.

Reactions: RedMenace

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I see Larkin as our version of the Stars Seguin...He'll be a solid 2 way player that can put up 70 to 80 pts .

seguin is no 2-way player. i think our version of peak ryan kesler or mike richards works. in terms of overall impact on both sides of the puck, larkin is kind of unique in terms of playing style and skillset.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
seguin is no 2-way player. i think our version of peak ryan kesler or mike richards works. in terms of overall impact on both sides of the puck, larkin is kind of unique in terms of playing style and skillset.

i agree, seguin is very very skilled, a bit more so than larkin, and one of the best snipers in the NHL. Larkin is kind of old school, non stop motor with a simple, effective game who keeps attacking.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My honest thought on Larkin, is he is a slightly less speedy and slightly less skilled version of Connor McDavid, however better defensively. Both players rely massively on their great speed and determination to get the job done. I think Larkin will be better on the PP when we get a better set of options for him, especially on the blueline. Right now, it seems to me, our talented guys have to go full bore just trying to keep the puck moving in the offensive zone, whereas with the higher qaulity teams, the PPs are much more controlled and players can move into better scoring positions more freely without having to worry about keeping the puck in the zone. Cholowski has been great as has Green, but are other blueliners are not great and keeping the play flowing.

It could also be a case of Larkin trying to do too much at times, when sometimes the better option is to let the play develop a bit more first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad