NYI Draft Review

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
New York Islanders Draft Review

The most picks the Islanders have ever had in day 1 of GM Zack Szweras’ tenure, the islanders added many pieces to start of a rebuild or retool, whatever it’s called.

10 – Kent Johnson

Johnson is an elite offensive talent who makes highlight reel plays on the regular. His puck handling and offensive skills are among the best of the draft. There are some issues that Johnson has to work on though, including improving his skating and defensive game, as well as simplifying his game. While he makes defenders look silly on the regular, he often relies on his skill to much and always tries to make the fancy play rather than the correct play, resulting in him turning over the puck. A year or two more in Michigan should hopefully allow him to improve in all the areas mentioned and hopefully allow him to reach his potential as a top six forward probably better suited on the wing than at centre.

11 – Sebastian Cossa
The goal of the first round for the Islanders was to land one of the top two goalies to shore up our rather weak goaltending pipeline. With Wallstedt going a pick before ours we landed Cossa out of the WHL. Cossa is a freak athlete at 6’6 who is also surprisingly quick, with impressive footwork. Cossa was also the WHL leader in save percentage with a .941 over the likes of Dustin wolf and Dylan Garand. No matter how long it takes, Cossa projects to be an NHL starter with potential Vezina aspirations.

12 – Fabian Lysell
One of the most polarizing prospects in the NHL draft Fabian Lysell is the definition of dynamic. One of the fastest players in this draft, he combines his speed with impressive puck skills. This ultimately allows him to be a very dangerous threat off rushes through the neutral zone. Lysell while only getting a little bit of ice time in the SHL was able to work on and improve his defensive game. Although he has the great package of speed and skill, Lysell needs to work on improving his playmaking not on the rush and identifying passing lanes before the defenders react. There are many rumoured concerns about Lysell’s character, especially after requesting a trade from Frolunda to Lulea. It seems likely that he is falling in the NHL draft, that is fine by me, hopefully he falls to a playoff team with great development staff to take his game to the next level. If all goes well Lysell can be a speedy top six scoring winger.

41 – Jack Peart
The reigning Mr. Hockey award recipient, Jack Peart is much more than a really good high-schooler. Going back and forth between high-school and Fargo of the USHL Peart had an overall terrific draft year. Peart’s time with Fargo really solidified him as a top pick for me. He showed off his high hockey-IQ in both the defensive and offensive zones making plays to better position his team. He really took off in the playoffs for Fargo playing top pairing minutes and contributing 7 points in 9 games as they took a run at the Clark Cup. Overall, I think Peart has a chance to be a top four pairing guy with a great defensive game and some offensive skill.

47 – William Stromgren
In a draft year with a lot of question marks, Stromgren is a real boom or bust candidate. Stromgren combines size and skill as a 6’3 winger with quick hands and a powerful shot. There are sometimes when you watch Stromgren and are amazed and others where you wish he would do more. If he adds more weight to his frame in the next couple years he could be scary with the puck. I think an NHL team who believes in their development team will take a gamble on Stromgren earlier than where I selected him. For Stromgren it is top 6 or bust, if he hits he can be a point scoring winger, with powerplay one upside.

57 – Dylan Duke
The name of Duke’s game is pesky down low and net front presence. He is a grinder down low who will stop at nothing to retrieve the puck to his more skilled line mates. He can always be found at the front of the net whether it is for a deflection or a battle in front he always seems to get the job done. Some areas of Duke’s game that needs work are his transition game and his speed. When given the puck in transition he usually dumps it in the other team’s end without having the speed to create pressure on the defenceman who retrieves the puck. His skating is average and if he works with skating coaches he can add another element to his one trick pony game.

64 – Danila Klimovich
The Belarusian sniper, Klimovich first came on my radar probably like most peoples with his play at the U18’s. As my trend of good offensive tools continue, Klimovich is a player with a great shot and good puck skills. Klimovich will likely need time and help before making an impact on an NHL team. His decision making needs some work done and he needs to work on taking less shots and scanning the ice for line mates. I expect whichever team drafts Klimovich would like him to come to north America next season and I believe Rouyn-Noranda still have the rights to him after taking him in the 2020 import draft. If Klimovich does pan out he also has top six potential.

65 – Jack Bar
Jack Bar is a smart defender who played for the best team in the USHL in the Chicago Steel. While I don’t think Bar will be known for his offensive game it is not, non-existent. Bar is a physical defender who defends his gaps well and uses his stick very effectively to neutralize attackers. Bar is someone who we see playing a complimentary middle pairing role as well as a future penalty killer.

76 – Jackson Blake
Blake is one of the youngest players in this draft as an August 2003 born player. He, like Peart, played games in both high school and the USHL. In high school Blake scored over 3 points per game and showed dominance in his ability with the puck. That carried over when he went to Chicago to play for the Steel. Blake has above average passing ability and uses his smarts and creativity to weave through transitions into the offensive zone. Blake needs to add some weight as he is only 148 pounds, this will likely add some power to his average skating ability as well as allow him to control the puck better against defenders. He also needs to work on his off-puck and defensive game as at times he looked like he was just waiting for the puck to come back to him. Blake is more of a long-term project given his age and strength, but with the right development he could be a useful middle six playmaking winger.

84 – Jiri Tichcek
Tichcek is one of the most fun prospects to watch in this draft. He is a speedy puck moving defender who uses his speed to close gaps on incoming forwards, as well as walk the blue line to open up passing and shooting lanes for himself. The biggest flaw of Tichcek’s is he is 5’8 which ultimately means he won’t get picked until the 6th round at the earliest in the NHL draft, if at all. After getting selected by Erie in the import draft I would love to see Tichcek go there and see how he transitions to North American ice and North American play-style.

90 – Cole Jordan
Cole Jordan is one of the fastest players in the draft this year. Jordan probably won’t be a point producing defenceman in the NHL but he has a great combination of speed reach and strength. He needs to add some more confidence in the neutral zone to break up plays before they start. With his frame and speed Jordan projects as a defensively responsible defenceman who can play in a middle-bottom pairing complementing an offensive defenceman.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my draft.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I like the draft a lot. Johnson is just fun, and hockey is fun. Lysell wouldn't have been my pick at 12, but I'd pay money to see him and Johnson out there together. Again, hockey is supposed to be fun.

After that, Peart was originally my target at 31 before slipping on him a bit after looking at his skating more closely, but he's a fantastic player. Stromgren is just a big bucket of tools, but if he puts it together, he'll be a major hit. And I really like Bar, even if he slipped on NHL draft day. He stood out last year when I watched a bit of St. Andrews, and I love Harvard a destination to round out guys like him (see Marino, John).

Reactions: Zack22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad