Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] D Marshall Warren signs ELC with the Islanders (2 years, $825k AAV; begins 2024-25)

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Would be a bit funny if he turns into a new Jared Spurgeon. Spurgeon is a small mobile defenseman who was drafted in the 6th round and signed by the Wild after the Islanders didn't sign him. Warren is a small mobile defenseman who was drafted in the 6th round and signed by the Islanders after the Wild didn't sign him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Would be a bit funny if he turns into a new Jared Spurgeon. Spurgeon is a small mobile defenseman who was drafted in the 6th round and signed by the Wild after the Islanders didn't sign him. Warren is a small mobile defenseman who was drafted in the 6th round and signed by the Islanders after the Wild didn't sign him.

Interesting thought, although 6'0" and 180+ pounds isn't exactly Spurgeon small.

But no-one would complain if there's a Spurgeon in this young man.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he turns into Spurgeon this is a grand slam signing. Chances are he won’t but you never know.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Interesting thought, although 6'0" and 180+ pounds isn't exactly Spurgeon small.

But no-one would complain if there's a Spurgeon in this young man.
Yeah, Spurgeon is much smaller. Warren wasn't signed because the Wild have a ton of LHD prospects, and a smallish D group as is. It's impossible to say if Warren will ever make the NHL, but he's had good training, is smart, and has some talent. You can't lose in signing him.

Reactions: SI90

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Does Detroit have any defensemen in college that are unsigned to replace the former Robbie Russo draft pick?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, Spurgeon is much smaller. Warren wasn't signed because the Wild have a ton of LHD prospects, and a smallish D group as is. It's impossible to say if Warren will ever make the NHL, but he's had good training, is smart, and has some talent. You can't lose in signing him.
He’s exactly what you want when signing a college UFA. Hes got legit potential to be developed into a player if all goes well.

Does Detroit have any defensemen in college that are unsigned to replace the former Robbie Russo draft pick?
I was so high on him. Thought for sure he’d become a legit #5-6 defensman. Teammate of Lee at Notre Dame.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Speaking of Notre Dame, you think that Bryan Rust guy would sign here?
I do but he’s going to get paid $5mil + I believe and while I love his game and he’s a consistent 20 goal guy I feel like we’d be better served aiming higher. We also need to shed salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad