Rumor: NYI and Sorokin making continued progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is the rule for Sorokin? Is he eligible to burn an ELC year if he were to sign?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he signs within the 53 hour window yes. He would also be able to join the team for both training and practices in both camp and in the bubble.
Sorokin is 24, going on 25 in August. So, if he were to sign his ELC now (1 year term based on his age) and it burns, then he needs to sign another contract in November to cover the 20-21 season as a RFA.

that would be a big win for him to then be paid somewhere closer to his KHL salary vs an ELC rate when he actually starts playing in the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sorokin is 24, going on 25 in August. So, if he were to sign his ELC now (1 year term based on his age) and it burns, then he needs to sign another contract in November to cover the 20-21 season as a RFA.

that would be a big win for him to then be paid somewhere closer to his KHL salary vs an ELC rate when he actually starts playing in the NHL.
Same situation for Kaprizov.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Someone should check with Dreger if Sorokin will be traded immediately after signing. What a joke that was. :laugh:

I must have missed what his is about.

I guess the Islanders prefer to sign him and burn a year and know they have him next year than risk it and sign him after

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I guess the Islanders prefer to sign him and burn a year and know they have him next year than risk it and sign him after

I could be wrong but I believe he has made like 4M the past few season in Russia so an ELC contract really isn't that enticing(unless Sorokin thinks he could hit all bonuses)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's good to see the NHL deciding to let Russian players play in the playoffs, but I still don't understand why they said no in the first place and making the flip flop now makes the NHL look pretty weak.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think it's good to see the NHL deciding to let Russian players play in the playoffs, but I still don't understand why they said no in the first place and making the flip flop now makes the NHL look pretty weak.

They cant play in the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They cant play in the playoffs.

So they can sign, travel with the team and take part in practices, but not play? Well that's just stupid as hell then :laugh:

I guess it's giving the players what they want and letting the NHL be happy, too. The players are more concerned about burning a year of their ELC than being able to play in the playoffs this year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
From what I read he can play in Phase 3 and 4(whatever those phases are. lol)

They (Sorokin, Kaprizov and Romonav) can participate in team activities, but they can't play in this summer's post season.

Essentially, they can meet their teammates, participate in training camp and even travel with the team to the hub city. But they won't be allowed to play.

I agree that it's ridiculous, but that's how it is.

Reactions: TaLoN

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Dreger did come out looking like an idiot there. You have to be sure the trade is completed before announcing it as a done deal.

But at least one other trustworthy source said that Sorokin's name was on the trade block in 2019-early 2020. So I do believe there was some fire there and Dreger didn't pull that out of thin air. Exactly why a deal fell apart I'm not sure, but I'm glad it did.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dreger did come out looking like an idiot there. You have to be sure the trade is completed before announcing it as a done deal.

But at least one other trustworthy source said that Sorokin's name was on the trade block in 2019-early 2020. So I do believe there was some fire there and Dreger didn't pull that out of thin air. Exactly why a deal fell apart I'm not sure, but I'm glad it did.

What other "trustworthy" sources? Incarcerated Bob? Please. As I said then, Igor Eronko was the ONLY trustworthy source for anything Russian related at that time. There was never even a hint of it from him EVER.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
What other "trustworthy" sources? Incarcerated Bob? Please. As I said then, Igor Eronko was the ONLY trustworthy source for anything Russian related at that time. There was never even a hint of it from him EVER.
Yes, Incarcerated Bob. You say that like he hasn't broken a ton of signings/trades before the bigwigs.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
LOL. Even if I considered him a real source (I don't), he doesn't know jack shit about a Russian player that was in Russia at the time.
Says who? You?

You don't know jack about his sources and even if he doesn't have Russian sources, he doesn't need them if Sorokin's name was being discussed on NHL trade circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad