NYI 2020 Offseason Prospect Report

Zack22

Dec 6, 2016
1. Kaiden Guhle (New)
Guhle has one of the most dominant defensive games of anyone in this years entry level draft. He’s a big defender standing at 6’3 185, with above average mobility with his long and smooth strides. His next step is to work more on his offensive side, which saw improvement from 17 points in 65 games a year ago to 40 points in 64 games this year. Guhle projects to be a top 4 defender who will be an important penalty killer.

2. Brayden Tracey (1)
His 3rd year in the WHL was confusing, in part due to injury and getting traded mid-way through the year. Tracey finished with a total of 61 points in 52 games between the Moose Jaw warriors and Victoria Royals. Tracey is someone who was hurt by the CHL stopping early as it looked like he started getting comfortable with his new team and was going on a tear. This next year is a big year for Tracey whether it is in the WHL or if he cracks the duck’s roster.

3. Jordan Spence (4)
Last year when I drafted Spence he won QMJHL Rookie of the year, this year he captured the QMJHL defenceman of the year. Spence’s goal this year was to improve his defensive game which is a known weakness of his. He has improved and led his team to top spot in the eastern conference. Spence said during this break he is focusing on putting on some pounds, which is important considering he is 5’10 173, and having those extra pounds will help him win battles and make him more appealing as an NHL denfenceman.

4. Jeremy Lauzon (NR)
Not sure how I forgot to rank him in my last prospect report but Jeremy Lauzon has looked great with the bruins. Leading into the break Lauzon was playing top 6 minutes for the contender bruins and has continued playing in the top 6 with Matt Grzelcyk in the playoffs. He has looked good in his own end and on the penalty kill, he has even jumped up on the rush a couple times. He is projecting to be a quality top 6 defensive defenceman, who will also make a great penalty killer.

5. Frederic Allard (2)
Allard has continued his progress playing valuable minutes in the AHL for Nashville. Nashville has always been good in identifying defenceman talent and developing them. I think Nashville may consider blowing it up this year which could open up a spot for Allard on the team to see what he can do.

6. Alex Beaucage (3)
The big question for Beaucage going into the draft last year was could he produce without overagers on his line. This year he finished with 40 goals and 70 points leading his team in both stats. Beaucage could definitely work on his skating which could limit him in the speedy NHL.

7. Jeremy Roy (6)
If he could stay healthy maybe he could make an impact for the Sharks. The sharks were one of the worst teams in the NHL this year which means Roy may actually get a shot in training camp to compete for a spot. I do think he could benefit from a full year in the AHL. Main goal for his is to not get injured.

8. Mikko Lehtonen (New)
Recently acquired in the 2020 UDFA lottery Lehtonen was one of the best young defenders in the KHL producing 49 points in 60 games for Jokerit. He played top line minutes and was even on both special teams. For the Leafs I expect him to start off as a bottom pairing player, but could quickly move up the lineup if he transitions to the NHL well.

9. Tyler Kleven (New)
A bit of a trend in my defensive prospects, Kleven is another big bodied defensive defenceman. He has great speed for his size and his work in his own end is strong. His best feature is his checking, he had some of the biggest hits I have seen out of all draft eligible players this year. He has a high floor given his defensive abilities, but his lack of production of offence brings his ceiling down. He is still young and could add an offensive game but even if he doesn’t he will end up a strong defenceman who will play on the penalty kill.

10. Yevgeni Oksentyuk (5)
Undrafted in his first year eligible, Oksentyuk played his first full season in north America accumulating 78 points in 58 games for Flint. Oksentyuk is a 5’8 163ibs winger that plays like he is 6’3 200. He grinds out every play, winning battles in the corner and finishing off with a beautiful shot. He probably does need to add some more size to excel in the NHL but no matter where he goes he will be a pest. I am sure someone will take a chance on him this year in the draft.

11. Justin Sourdif (New)
Playing his entire draft year in the WHL as a 17-year-old, Sourdif showed some good playmaking abilities with decent two-way play utilizing his high IQ. Using his high IQ he seems to be able to get good positioning on the defence which leads to scoring opportunities. The knocks on him were, he only had 54 points in 57 games and he is undersized at 5’11 173. I think he is someone whos draft stock could increase depending on his development this offseason entering his 18-year-old season in the WHL.

12. Dmitri Zavgorodny (10)
In his 20-year-old season in the QMJHL he exploded for 67 points in 40 games. Playing on Rimouski, with alexis lafreniere gives him an unfair advantage, which is why he is lower on this list. I think next year is important for him, hopefully playing in the AHL for the flames he can bring this same production.

13. Jonas Johansson (11)
Johansson had a solid year in the AHL playing 22 games with a 2.28 GAA and a .921 SV%. Ended up earning a call up after an injury and played 6 games with the sabers. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sabers got rid of Hutton and Johansson ended up backing up Ulmark. I think he could be a valuable back-up.

14. Dylan Coghlan (8)
After a monstrous 40 points in 66 games in the AHL Coghlan came down to earth posting 24 points in 60 games. I think Coghlan could eventually become a 6th defenceman but should have at least one more year in the AHL to gain experience.

15. Emil Heineman (New)
Heineman had a great year in the SuperElit with 26 goals and 41 points in 29 games. This was a great improvement from his 1 goal last year. By the end of this year Heineman was becoming a regular in the SHL for Leksands IF. It seems he will be getting regular playing time for them next year.

HM:
Keegan Kolesar
Zachary Okabe (13)
Eric Uba (14)
Daniel Ljungman (New)
Matthew Gleason (New)

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->