Trade: [NYG/NO] Eli Apple for 2019 4th and 2020 7th

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Saints don’t really have the assets to get Peterson and they had to do something else.

Reactions: Voight and m9

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not the CB I wanted at all, but we needed to do something. Hopefully the Saints franchise can settle him down a bit more than the NYG franchise could.

He's a talented player, but needs some good coaching

Reactions: generalshepherd141

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
coaching up defensive players hasn't exactly been a strength for the Saints during the payton era.

combined with apple being a headcase, i don't think this works out for them but we'll see.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
First the Davenport trade and now this deal.. I mean, it's clearly an all-in season for the Saints.

Hopefully they make some noise. Love me some Drew Brees.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First the Davenport trade and now this deal.. I mean, it's clearly an all-in season for the Saints.

Hopefully they make some noise. Love me some Drew Brees.
Toss in the bridgewater trade and the saints are left with only their 2nd round pick until they pick again in round 5, barring them getting any compensatory picks in rounds 3/4.

After the season they had in 2017, have to push while Brees is still there.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Toss in the bridgewater trade and the saints are left with only their 2nd round pick until they pick again in round 5, barring them getting any compensatory picks in rounds 3/4.

After the season they had in 2017, have to push while Brees is still there.

they aren't going to get any compensatory picks. in fact, i don't think they have had any compensatory picks before round 5 or even round 5 since payton was hired in 06.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Aaron Glenn has gotten results out of far less talented players and there are lots of Ohio State guys on the team. Buying low on a young guy with #1 CB skills is never a bad idea.

I don't know what happened to Ken Crawley this year, he's been terrible. Had to do something.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The thinking of getting him around ex teammates Vonn Bell and Lattimore is pretty smart. It might help him. He has all the physical tools but is way too grabby and panics if a receiver has a step.

Reactions: klingsor

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
#2 WRs against the Saints this year:

5/146/2 (D Jax)
3/81/1 (Callaway)
7/146/3 (Ridley)
10/77/1 (Shepard)
4/50/0 (Richardson) (Lattimore was knocked out of this game early which shifted everything around, I think Justin Hardee was on the #2 WR most of this one)
7/134/1 (Brown)

Thats........not good. Basically any improvement would be welcomed. Also Vonn Bell is a moron who can't comprehend the basics of Cover 2 and makes Kenny Vaccaro look like Ronnie Lott, which certainly does not help the CB lined up on his side of the field, but whatevs, not much you can do about that at this point.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seems a steep price for guy who was hated in locker room and nearly got cut

A low 4th is 'steep'? And the guy was playing decently this year. I don't actually get this trade unless the Giants were just paranoid he'd act up again (or he did act up and it hasn't gotten out) and even then, might as well play him the rest of the year and cut him after if need be, they still need corners unless the tank is on.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
#2 WRs against the Saints this year:

5/146/2 (D Jax)
3/81/1 (Callaway)
7/146/3 (Ridley)
10/77/1 (Shepard)
4/50/0 (Richardson) (Lattimore was knocked out of this game early which shifted everything around, I think Justin Hardee was on the #2 WR most of this one)
7/134/1 (Brown)

Thats........not good. Basically any improvement would be welcomed. Also Vonn Bell is a moron who can't comprehend the basics of Cover 2 and makes Kenny Vaccaro look like Ronnie Lott, which certainly does not help the CB lined up on his side of the field, but whatevs, not much you can do about that at this point.

footballoutsiders have saints as the worst team defending against #WR.. but they also have saints as the worst team against #1WRs. maybe that's influenced by lattimore not being as good this season and lattimore switching to cover other guys, like covering Ridley against atlanta when he was torching pj Williams (iirc, Ridley went cold after that). and their rank for #1 and #2 WR is also subjective.

however, they have Saints in top 5 against other WRs and TEs. but terrible against RBs in the passing game. maybe it's the Schedule but Saints have given up league low 38.6 yards per game againts TEs. bucs are almost at 100, lol.

against WR2, Saints are only team over 100. next closest, bucs again, are below 78 yards per game.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Stats from playerprofiler, which is a free site that I like a lot.

Crawley has given up 33 catches on 38 targets for 533 yards and 4 touchdowns, passer rating allowed is 153.8. Apple has given up 24 catches on 35 targets, 346 yards and 0 touchdowns and a 100.4 passer rating

Not great but obviously still a substantial improvement, and the Saints pass rush is much better than the Giants, which should help. I would've preferred Leon Hall or somebody with a few more skins on the wall but for a 4th and change this seems like a decent upgrade.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Crawley wasn't cutting it. Another guy they shoehorned in because they think they're geniuses finding undrafted talent. Lattimore has come on after he had a tough first 2-3 weeks, but most of the secondary are fine depth players who shouldn't be starters.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Crawley all of last season (13 games) gave up 48 catches for 632 yards and 5 TDs. Obviously he has much better ability than what he's shown this year but he's not playing as well for whatever reason. He's a solid #2 CB when his mind is right but he's lost his confidence or something.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Stats from playerprofiler, which is a free site that I like a lot.

Crawley has given up 33 catches on 38 targets for 533 yards and 4 touchdowns, passer rating allowed is 153.8. Apple has given up 24 catches on 35 targets, 346 yards and 0 touchdowns and a 100.4 passer rating

Not great but obviously still a substantial improvement, and the Saints pass rush is much better than the Giants, which should help. I would've preferred Leon Hall or somebody with a few more skins on the wall but for a 4th and change this seems like a decent upgrade.

For the dinosaurs...QB's has a near perfect passer rating when targeting Crawley. Plus Crawley isn't limiting YAC. Apple seems to be doing a decent job of limiting YAC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad