NY voters to decide on plan for new hockey arena (Islanders); UPD referendum defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It amazes me how Fenway Park, Wrigley Field are still in operation.

It's because a ball park is a heck of a lot cheaper than an arena and standards don't really matter since in most cases a game is outdoors with no roof.(domes) In baseball stuff like this doesn't truly matter. i'm sure newer parks would be welcomed but it's not a necessity.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
What I don't understand is why Wang doesn't want to own the building? I thought his primary interest has always been real estate development and the LHP. Now that he's going with this new building, I don't understand why he wants to let the county own it.

Its going to take him 50 years to recoup his losses if he doesn't own the building imo. He's Hemorrhage so much money that even with a new building, he won't be making $25m a year profits.

Does anyone understand Wang's motives from a purely economic standpoint?

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
In the world of owning a business, its more advantageous to lease as opposed to own due to tax purposes. The lease expense is a constant as oppsed to owning a building where you have to take a depreciation charge every year and that's just brushing the outside of it.

Maintenance expenses are a royal b**** if you run and own as they are treated differently than if owning is your business. Its a combination of factors, but I can't tell all from my limited accounting knowledge.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Additionally, the underlying problems with the building also effect a number of issues including attractability to players, fans, etc. The hockey club has had success in the past when the mausoleum was a little closer to new. At one point you have to say what's done is done, lest not forget the mausoleum was built in the late 60s/early 70s with different goals.

This is a different box of rocks from glendale in its entirety.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Chris Botta's take on the arena/referendum announcement:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=6526985

If the bond repayment is covered completely by Coliseum generated revenues, that removes the one big stumbling block - modulo overly rosy revenue estimates (and any County backstop for any shortfalls) and any cost overrun issues.

I hope to see a big pr push from Wang,with tv/newspaper/radio ads over the next few months.He needs to educate Nassau residents,reassure them that they won't be on the hook to pay off these bonds.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I hope to see a big pr push from Wang,with tv/newspaper/radio ads over the next few months.He needs to educate Nassau residents,reassure them that they won't be on the hook to pay off these bonds.
Yeah right

That's what they all say.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
What I don't understand is why Wang doesn't want to own the building? I thought his primary interest has always been real estate development and the LHP. Now that he's going with this new building, I don't understand why he wants to let the county own it.

Its going to take him 50 years to recoup his losses if he doesn't own the building imo. He's Hemorrhage so much money that even with a new building, he won't be making $25m a year profits.

Wang could wanted a whole lot of **** that he hasn't been getting. This is a compromise.

Original plan for Wang was that he would fix up the coli and in exchange the county and TOH would let him build around the coliseum (Lighthouse project). That got scrapped because of NIMBY.

The county wants to own an arena for obvious reasons. Wang is probably not to keen on financing an arena in the middle of a parking lot, if you let him build a mini-city around it he would probably be game. So if the county pays for it, than the county owns it. Wang will be alright with a new building if the lease is generous (which was the main problem pre-2009), they re-worked it since to a point that makes the team viable.

Wang will be okay imo and he will get to share in a lot of non-hockey revenue from Islanders-entertainment.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It amazes me how Fenway Park, Wrigley Field are still in operation.

Wrigley Field is a dump

There has been cases in recent years in which parts of stadium have come crashing down upon the poor misguided souls wasting there money there causing injury.

Mayor Daley threatened to condemm the building a few years back which lead to the Cubs installing protective netting around stadium to protect the misguided from injuries

Pretty sad really that there new owner wants state $$$ to fix up the dump

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
How much would it be to connect the LIRR to the new arena? I assume that was part of lighthouse.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
How much would it be to connect the LIRR to the new arena? I assume that was part of lighthouse.

Nope. The LIRR was never part of the Lighthouse plan.

Bringing rail service to the Coliseum would require action by the State (the LIRR is owned/operated by the MTA, a state agency) and, quite likely, the seizing of property by the state, county, or ToH under eminent domain for the right-of-way.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I came here to post this question... Does this plan have no transit component? To me, that is a bigger problem with the current Coliseum than its age or lack of amenities.

I agree. The biggest problem with the Coliseum is that it is poorly served by mass-transit, and any new arena solution that doesn't address this issue is extremely short-sighted and foolish.

I took public transportation from the city to an Isles game once. Never again. It was a nightmare. You have to take the LIRR to a station several miles away, then wait to transfer to a bus, which takes a while to get to the nearest stop, after which you have to cross a major thoroughfare and all the parking lots.

LIRR access would improve stadium accessibility both from the city (which contains a huge number of people) and from further out on Long Island.

The NYC metro area is more reliant on mass transit than any other in North America, and what boggles the mind is that every other area team seems to appreciate that fact, except for the Isles. The Rangers and Knicks play literally on top of a major transit hub. The new Devils arena is a short walk from a major NJ Transit station. The new Yankee Stadium is still subway accessible, and has a new Metro-North station built just for them. CitiField has both a subway station and a LIRR station right nearby. But the Islanders, for some reason, remain practically inaccessible except by car.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip

The county owns the land. He is not able to own it unless the county sells him the land. In regards to Wang losing money. He actually pulls in some good money from the cable deal as well as....

He now also gets money from tickets, parking, concerts (islanders entertainment), concessions or anything else that the NVMC is used for. NYI choose what band or shows go on at the NVMC. They changed the lease in 09-10, it was a bad lease but now he makes more money.

Wang will always cry wolf but he would of been gone a long time ago if he was taking a hit that hard.

All the while Nassau gets its 4% sales tax.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip

Alot of money and even more politics There is actually tracks a 1/2 mile away unused that could of been used to be like the Air Tram at JFK to bring people to the NVMC from LIRR but I am a little fuzzy on what or where they were exactly where and the what the county's response was for why it can't be used. It was bought up in 2007

In all it would be great to have mass transit there as I would take it all the time as a season ticket holder but I just do not think there is enough justification to have one to the NVMC since there are not events every night of year.

If you take the LIRR to the closet station to NVMC, you take a cab not a bus.

I do not think the lighthouse had mass transit involved in it.

The reason why I would want NYI to move to Queens is mass transit.

kombayn

May 6, 2009
This reminds me a lot of what's going on with the Kings in Sacramento and the Vikings in Minnesota. Both are finally working on something when they realize that these teams can actually move.

Long Island needs a facility so they can host concerts, events, sports, college sports, etc. These are just the facts. Especially when cities in the United States are competing for that top-dollar.

The Islanders have a fantastic regional TV contract for their team and a new Arena would allow the team to spend and the town could get top performers in concerts and maybe even political conventions, to me when it comes to Arenas, it's about the big picture.

People fail to realize when these are added to our taxes, were really paying around $20 to $80 a year extra in taxes, I know I waste that kind of money on crap I don't need. Even if I don't use the arena or anything like that, in the end it becomes a great investment for our community.

It's just people get screwed by these people when they give too much away. This always should be public/private partnership. I still think the Staples Center was a dumb giveaway by our City of Los Angeles, we could have invested into the stadium and made way more back with pay-back methods, etc.

This is the same thing going on Farmers Field, AEG is willing to do a Staples Center deal but then we won't really get anything back from it and were smart enough to know that to ask for a better deal but in return now AEG is letting us know that we have to take risk and I would take it in a heartbeat. AEG controlling the Famers Field convention center is a much smarter business move then just giving over the entire "Farm" to them.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
People fail to realize when these are added to our taxes, were really paying around $20 to $80 a year extra in taxes, I know I waste that kind of money on crap I don't need. Even if I don't use the arena or anything like that, in the end it becomes a great investment for our community.

Which is it: fast women, cheap wine or slow horses?

Just kidding!

People flip out over tax increases, just a fact of life.

devils1119

Aug 24, 2008
New Jersey
Is the Barclays Center anywhere in the discussion as a possible new arena? According to the wiki it will be able to host hockey games and since it's located on Long Island, it won't interfere with relocation issues with the Rangers. Sounds like the solution to me.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
If the team ends up being sold, Nelson Peltz has said he'd like to buy them and move them to Barclays. I think Queens is a more likely option, though.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Is the Barclays Center anywhere in the discussion as a possible new arena? According to the wiki it will be able to host hockey games and since it's located on Long Island, it won't interfere with relocation issues with the Rangers. Sounds like the solution to me.

The Islanders have been invited to play or preseason games there, but the configuration of the areana is not good for hockey.
I have been watching the progress of the building, its in a weird place and is shaped funny.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
At the very least, some sort of event shuttle between the Hempstead LIRR station and venue could be worked out I would think. Right now the only reasonable option seems to be a cab.

I'm shocked that there isn't at least that. A shuttle to Jamaica would be good too.

The Islanders have been invited to play or preseason games there, but the configuration of the areana is not good for hockey.
I have been watching the progress of the building, its in a weird place and is shaped funny.

What's weird about the place? It's right at Atlantic Yards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad