News Article: NY TIMES: The First Lady of the Canadiens Sits Behind the Montreal Bench

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nice column on Élise Béliveau

The First Lady of the Canadiens Sits Behind the Montreal Bench

MONTREAL — Hours before the puck drops at Bell Centre, Élise Béliveau can be found in the Salon des Anciens Canadiens. She converses with family and friends, sharing laughs and stories of yesteryear in a room where walls are decorated with framed photographs of her husband, Jean Béliveau, who won 10 Stanley Cups as a Canadiens player and seven more as a team executive.

As she greets team staff members near the club’s dressing room, arriving players from the current Canadiens smile and wave hello.

She takes her seat three rows behind the Montreal bench minutes before the opening face-off, her white hair a beacon noticeable from the last row of the packed arena, where her husband’s No. 4 is ubiquitous.
Élise Béliveau still loves the Montreal Canadiens. And the feeling is mutual.

Reactions: Gains

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was lucky enough to sit with her and her family to watch a game ~2 years ago. She is very nice and classy, though she didn't seem overly interested in the game (we lost and couldn't score goals).

During the anthem my phone exploded with messages saying "Dave?? Why are you sitting next to Mme. Beliveau??"

Reactions: groovejuice and TRG

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Crazy how many championships Beliveau helped bring this franchise. Definition of a legend.

Even after Beliveau stopped playing he was long associated with the team and no doubt his presence and support were integral to the Cups that came afterward.

Mme. Beliveau always demonstrated the same class and courtesy, and she is as beloved in many ways as Jean. Royalty indeed.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm a Bruins fan but I am thrilled that our little UHF station in Boston back in the 70's kept this archive - CBC and SRC did not.

This is classic video from a CBS prime time game show in 1957

Think what you want about Bruins fans but when Boston Garden closed in 1995 - this happened

Merry Christmas / Joyeux noël to you all :xtree:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->