NY Times: The Fehr Interview: Looking to Civil Talks, and No ‘Shots Across the Bow’

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2...g-to-civil-talks-and-no-shots-across-the-bow/

The Fehr Interview: Looking to Civil Talks, and No ‘Shots Across the Bow’

By JEFF Z. KLEIN In his first in-depth interview since announcing his candidacy for the job last summer, Donald Fehr, the new executive director of the N.H.L. Players Association, said that last week’s hiring by the union of a Toronto lawyer who has opposed the N.H.L. in previous battles over franchise relocations was not the “shot across the bow†it has been described as in some quarters.

Q What are the differences between baseball and hockey, in union terms?
A.
Here’s what I can say about it. First of all, I know the baseball business pretty well. I’m just beginning to learn about the hockey business. So I’m not going to compare and contrast them very much in that regard.
Secondly, they are similar in that they’re both predominantly local-revenue sports. Most of the revenue is generated by individual teams, gate, television and a combination of other stuff that goes with it. As contrasted to the N.F.L., which has over half, I believe, generated essentially by a national TV package.

A wide variety of topics are touched upon, so an interesting read.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Meh. It wasn't that interesting, he didn't have a lot to say. Pretty much just "too soon, too soon, I don't know enough about hockey's business side yet, give me some time, too soon". All absolutely reasonable and correct answers... but not particularly interesting.

Fugu

Oh, okay, Ike. Getting cold up there in the tundra? :laugh:

Sometimes we just find stuff that's relevant to this board and post it. Not all of it will be as entertaining as when Gary is interviewed. :naughty:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Oh, okay, Ike. Getting cold up there in the tundra? :laugh:

Sometimes we just find stuff that's relevant to this board and post it. Not all of it will be as entertaining as when Gary is interviewed. :naughty:

It's only boring because Fehr won't tell us his real plans. It's all lies, he knows what he wants! He's just trying to be Mr. Teflon.

Quick question, do I need a sarcasm smilie?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Interesting. Re-confirms my initial assessment that he's likely to be low key & conciliatory, more concerned with structure & procedure as opposed to militancy. Very much "interim". Nothing to Fehr. Intellectual approach. Overstuffed. Like a Lazy Boy...
:GWC:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ss1&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

G&M article on Fehr's first month.

“There's a lot of learning to be done,” [Fehr] said in an interview during the NHL's all-star weekend. “First of all, you need to get to know people — people in the office, people who represent the players and most importantly the players.

“You've got to get a sense of them, you've got to try and ascertain whether your approach is likely to communicate the most effectively with them.”

With a little more than 700 union members, there is no shortage of relationships to build. Fehr has found that he enjoys spending time with hockey players and lists that as one of his primary motivations for accepting the leadership role after originally joining the union as an unpaid consultant.

There aren't many people who have his credentials. Fehr, 62, spent 32 years with the Major League Baseball Players' Association — 26 of them as executive director — but notes that the economics are unique in each professional sport.

“I'm trying to wrap my arms around it, trying to plan how all the work's going to get done over the next year (or) year and a half,” said Fehr. “Over the last few months, I've been doing a lot of travelling — first to see the players and now agents.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad