News Article: NY Times - Michael Kimmelman Thinks the Garden Should Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
People still waxing poetic over the old Penn station need to move on. MSG isn't going any where any time soon. Here is an idea how bout Penn Station moves. Penn Station could move across the street to Farley station.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
the garden wont move. its just a waste of tax money to move amtrak to the post office which is happening now, then pay MSG to move elsewhere, then use more taxpayer funds to rebuild current penn. it just doesnt make sense

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Maybe not the exact right place but came across this article:

Barclays takes on the Garden in huge title fight

Brooklyn upstart makes major gains over its venerable rival in the battle for share of the national consciousness under “famous New York City arenas.â€
By Annie Karni
April 17, 2013 11:29 a.m.

On a recent episode of ABC's hit show Nashville, the two country-music mega stars, played by Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere, arrive in New York City for the biggest show of their tour. It's no surprise the crooners sell out their concert, but what's perhaps unexpected is where. The newbie Barclays Center, rather than the world famous Madison Square Garden, gets the big-league cameo on prime-time national TV. And that was just one of several recent star turns for the new Brooklyn stadium on the block.

In February, Barclays was mentioned on an episode of How I Met Your Mother, when two characters got kicked out of the stadium. And next month, "Barclays" will be a clue contestants on Jeopardy! will need to know about, sources said.

These days Barclays is not just giving the Garden a run for its money as an alternative venue for the Rolling Stones or the Ringling Bros. circus—now it's competing with its rival as the arena associated with New York City in the national consciousness. And some of that attention came merely because it offered producers a better deal than the Garden.

"The truth is, [that episode of Nashville] was originally written for Madison Square Garden," said Loucas George, producer of Nashville. "We reached out to Madison Square Garden, but they wanted to charge us a lot of money to use their name, which I thought was crazy because we're basically giving them a national ad spot."

As it turns out the Garden, run by Chairman James Dolan, also wanted creative control of all scenes featuring the stadium and approval of all sets, according to Mr. George. Frustrated by those demands, Mr. George was trying to figure out a solution for the scene when he happened to hear a segment on National Public Radio about the new stadium in Brooklyn.

"I thought, screw Madison Square Garden, let's call Barclays," he said, and quickly told the show's writers to change the script. "Barclays was great. They didn't charge and they didn't ask for creative control."

The stadium gave the show logos to make sure they got the colors right for the scenes shot on a soundstage in Nashville.

"In the end, I was happier to go with Barclays than Madison Square Garden," Mr. George said. "It felt more timely."

for the rest:
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130417/REAL_ESTATE/130419878

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
At least Barclay's rust is a nice bright color. Where I go to school, there's a building made out of the same material that was meant to rust and be a bright orange, but they forgot to take into account the air quality so it just ended up looking decrepit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
At least Barclay's rust is a nice bright color. Where I go to school, there's a building made out of the same material that was meant to rust and be a bright orange, but they forgot to take into account the air quality so it just ended up looking decrepit.

I wouldn't say Barclay's is bright. When I saw it in person I thought it looked like a giant turd. I figured that they were going to sand blast it and paint it or something.

Robs789

Apr 1, 2011
Yeah probably not. But ultimately the government has the garden by the balls. Technically they don't have a license to operate right now. They can move to padlock the place at absolutely any time. Obviously that's not going to happen, but if a politician came in wanting to play hardball, he could do make them do whatever he wants

Im heavily assuming that before they sunk in 1 billion into renovations, that they have a politician on their side already knowing that the permit will go through.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
So is anyone really against a 10-year renewal and seeing where things stand when that time is up? Because that's what the article is arguing for and there seem to be a lot of people in here bashing the article, the writer, and the New York Times for christ sake for reasons that are unclear to me. I guess to some, mentioning the words "garden" and "move" in the same breath is sacrilege.

For what reason though? The only thing keeping people tied to that location is the nostalgia. Would you really be that bummed out to get a brand new, state of the art arena 3 blocks away? The city is changing all the time; who knows what things will look like in ten years? Absolutely no reason to grant Dolan a perpetual renewal. Keeping all options open is key.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
So what does the new Penn Station plan mean for MSG? The only thing I came across is that they may have to get rid of the theater at MSG, but I'm assuming that with such a large project there will also be changes to the concourse, entrances, etc.

The new plan means Dolan has lost his top ally Sheldon Silver to prison so he came to Jesus and is getting on Cuomo's good side to save the Garden. He personally hosted the governor's press conference at MSG and has agreed to give up the Madison Square Garden Paramount Theater to be demolished for the new Penn Station plan. He's clearly giving something to prevent something bigger from being taken away and now he's in the fold of the project. Although, if the theater were doing well I doubt he would have offered it. The seating configuration sucks and I bet it's losing money

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
As a daily Penn Station commuter and Rangers season ticket holder, I am 100% for MSG moving.

Never should have been built over Penn, which deserves and needs to be more than a glorified rat tunnel. The decision to put MSG over Penn was an abomination of urban planning.

Love MSG, but it definitely doesn't have the look or feel that you would expect of a venue commonly referred to as "THE MECCA". Just like Penn, MSG deserves a location and building worthy of its reputation.

The renovations have been a joke, too. F you Dolan, start over and do it right this time. I don't know anybody in the blue seats who is actually happy with what was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->