News Article: NY Times - Michael Kimmelman Thinks the Garden Should Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/arts/design/madison-square-gardens-permit-is-up-for-renewal.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=arts&adxnnlx=1360855639-d9CS+MnXidEILWM850ASkQ

The owners of Madison Square Garden are now looking to New York City to renew — in perpetuity — the special permit that allows them to operate an arena atop Penn Station, the country’s busiest transit hub.

It’s a request the City Council should deny.

The last thing New York needs is to enshrine the aging and oppressive Garden, which may be the world’s most famous arena but is also one of the ugliest and, for millions of commuters using the station trapped beneath it, a daily blight.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what's going to happen after spending millions on renovations.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can't open the link. Keep getting an error. But can only imagine that the writer was high when he wrote the article, or is just a sports/hockey hater.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
yes. after spending however hundreds of millions of dollars to renovate they should move the arena. maybe u should have written this article years ago you dumbass.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
The author makes up a lot of good points. Sure a lavishly and modern Penn Station could be a beautiful hub for the city with a Modern and ascetically pleasing MSG across the avenue.

Though if the goal is to bring in natural light and fresh air to the tunnels underground, does the author then plan on doing something about all of the subway terminals across the city? Certainly anyone who's gone below to a subway station in August, with no AC, vomit left over from last night's party, and a sad yet smelly homeless guy collecting his urine in a gallon container, knows what I'm talking about.

Unless there is a comprehensive plan by the city to open up all underground spaces, much like it has with greener rooftops, then the idea of only forcing MSG to, doesn't make a lot of sense. If it's to be done, then let the project be a model for defining the rest of the city.

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
Ignoring the money spent on renovations, the writer could have made a valid argument for why it should be moved if he focused on literally anything besides the visual component. The main worry is really that 650K commuters are going to be forced to look at some bright sign and an old, worn down building?

All he needs to say is that the Garden being on top of Penn limits the infrastructure improvements needed to accommodate the tripled ridership that was in place when it originated. ****, he could have proposed solar panels being on top of a "new Penn Station" being enough to reduce $X in energy costs for the city, which could reduce further fare hikes. Seriously, a child could have come up with a better argument.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
Never should have put it there but they will NOT move.
pretty much nailed it. awful that the original penn was demolished but it's a little late to move now. I thought the old post office across the street was being converted to a rail hub? haven't exactly been in the loop on the minutia of NYC construction since I moved, though.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Yeah? eh, no.

Wonder what it's like to sit down and have a beer with this guy?

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
And this is so much more aesthetically pleasing? :laugh:

Barclays_Center.jpg

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Well, that ship sailed when Dolan decided to renovate.

One thing though: eventually it will have to happen. As much as you rebuild, the infrastructure is still old and the footprint of the Garden relatively small compared to other new arenas. You can only do so much with it.

But, unless a decision to move comes soon, all available land, say along the Hudson will be gone and developed. There will be no place to move to.

So, MSG stays where it is and there is something magical about having an arena in the heart of downtown Manhattan.

Note: I was at the last Ranger game at the old MSG and the first game ever played in the new building. Have not been to the newly renovated building this year (was last year) but it looks like a different place on TV. From someone who had a season ticket in the old blue seats from the year the building opened till 1976, it doesn't seem like the same place. But that's progress and life goes on.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Renovations will help keep MSG going for another 10 years. By that time they have to figure out how to move away. I think the Bronx Armory should be considered.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
aside from just spending $900 mil or whatever to renovate...i'm pretty sure that dolan wanted to move the arena across the street as part of the new penn station project but the city wouldn't let them. it was only after the city prevent them from building a new arena that they went with the renovation...

seems like this reporter needs a time machine back to 2007 when this news was relevant.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Since when is the ****ing Garden ugly? And a BLIGHT to those using Penn? Are you ****ing joking? What an awful article, this guy is a ****ing hack.

I'm thrilled every time I come out of Penn and get to see the Garden. I pity this dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->