News Article: NY Times: Arizona Warms Up to Hockey

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
In b4 conspiracy theories of Auston Matthews being kidnapped from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and brainwashed to be an Arizonian.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The prospect of having McEichel + Domi + Matthews as our future F core, really makes another tank next season hyper-appealling.
Can we start selling 2016-2017 season tickets yet? I've seen significantly more advertising / branding around the building this season and I only like the idea of tanking for Matthews if LeBlanc and Barroway are getting all the bills paid.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Can we start selling 2016-2017 season tickets yet? I've seen significantly more advertising / branding around the building this season and I only like the idea of tanking for Matthews if LeBlanc and Barroway are getting all the bills paid.

I think getting a kid like Matthews with connections would go a long way to further the reach of NHL in the desert, even more so than McEichel. It's just a fairytale story, if you think about it; I'm sure even casual fans would see it as a great draw.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
tumblr_inline_mu2g3mXLpS1qbu5sa.jpg

Make it happen

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It always gets me how little some people understand about the growth of youth hockey in Arizona.

The only thing that kinda bothers me is that I think the 'house league' numbers are still down. In the early 2000s I scorekept for youth games at Polar Ice Chandler, and there were always 6,8,10 teams in each level of the house youth leagues. The last time I looked, maybe a year ago, before all the changing of hands started, the Chandler and Gilbert rinks had a combined league that had maybe 4 or 6 each... a small sample size, I know.

I think at the high end (travel teams), we have plenty of quality coaches, players, and what-not, but I wonder about the lower levels sometimes.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The only thing that kinda bothers me is that I think the 'house league' numbers are still down. In the early 2000s I scorekept for youth games at Polar Ice Chandler, and there were always 6,8,10 teams in each level of the house youth leagues. The last time I looked, maybe a year ago, before all the changing of hands started, the Chandler and Gilbert rinks had a combined league that had maybe 4 or 6 each... a small sample size, I know.

I think at the high end (travel teams), we have plenty of quality coaches, players, and what-not, but I wonder about the lower levels sometimes.

Well it is a relatively expensive sport to get involved with when you compare it to the other youth programs out there. Plus the recession hit Arizona the hardest and that might be a factor in the numbers.

But when you look at the quality of the coaching available, with many former NHLers living here, it says something.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I already ragequit the McDavid thread there. It's hard to maintain a sensible dialogue with the Legions of the Miserable there. :cry:

That's why you never go in there without downing a couple of Pan-Galactic Gargleblasters beforehand and don't forget to take your towel.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Let's say this was a plausible scenario:

We draft Eichel. A year from now, the Oilers finish last and draft Matthews. Do you offer Edmonton a Eichel for Matthews trade?

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
My daughter plays house and right now they have 4 full teams and 6 goalies. Parents have started asking if we can make that 6 smaller teams instead, since kids are getting less ice time.

The problem -,as it almost always is - comes down to open ice slots. Some rinks probably have open slots, but others are pretty much packed to the gills with youth and adult and travel leagues.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The valley needs more ice sheets and facilities. Does anyone know what the Ice Den cost to build initially?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's too bad no one ever bought Ozzie Ice and got it up and running again. My understanding is it was kind of small but if they could renovate it I think it's in a great location (just south of Shea on 32nd st). As it stands now those in North Phoenix don't have any rinks close by, they have to choose either Peoria Polar Ice or Ice Den.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's too bad no one ever bought Ozzie Ice and got it up and running again. My understanding is it was kind of small but if they could renovate it I think it's in a great location (just south of Shea on 32nd st). As it stands now those in North Phoenix don't have any rinks close by, they have to choose either Peoria Polar Ice or Ice Den.

Wasn't always the best neighborhood. Used to practice there when I played in HS. Employee got murdered by another employee there as well. The fake ice wasn't all that bad, but they had a real rink that was half size. Great for cheap practice.

I'd like to see someone invest in more facilities like that. There has to be some untapped demand out there.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Wasn't always the best neighborhood. Used to practice there when I played in HS. Employee got murdered by another employee there as well. The fake ice wasn't all that bad, but they had a real rink that was half size. Great for cheap practice.

Yeah, I knew the victim's girlfriend through a mutual friend, sad story - we all used to go play 3-on-3 coed pickup games on Friday nights at Ozzie...talk about a workout.

They eventually converted the fake ice half to real ice; when I worked near MetroCenter I could go over there, plunk down $10 and have one whole side to myself for stick time at like 10pm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad