GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I don't think the Rangers can outright promise Kravtsov that he'll be on the Rangers roster but I'm sure they can basically tell him "you'll be given every chance to win a spot in the lineup and if you don't, we'll be keeping an eye on you in the AHL and looking to bring you up when i tlooks like you're ready"

That said, not a huuuuuge fan of banking on him being in the NHL next season. If he proves he should get a shot then great, but I think he has to be ready to play some in the AHL if he decides to come over to NA

I doubt Hajek or Howden make it out of camp but they're guys I could see earning their way into the lineup a bit later in the season
If everything goes according to the plan we won't have have a spot for Hajek this year. Staal, Skjei, Smith, Shattenkirk, Pionk and Deangelo have to really shit the bed to lose a spot.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
lets be reality here.

this is a rebuilding team. this is a team with a new YOUNG coach right outa the ncaas. this is an organization thats done a 180 and is now fully committed to building from within. this is a team that is turning the page and moving forward with

speed
skill
youth
value

is there a better time to add young talent ?? i think not.

hello mr kravstov. welcome to NEW YORK :naughty:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kravstov dominated KHL playoffs when he really wasn't suppose to. That should translate to the NHL and most definitely will translate to the AHL.. The faster he plays in the smaller rinks and under the teams watchful eye, the better.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If everything goes according to the plan we won't have have a spot for Hajek this year. Staal, Skjei, Smith, Shattenkirk, Pionk and Deangelo have to really **** the bed to lose a spot.

3 of those guys are definitely expendable. If Hajek, or Lindgren, isn't on the team out of camp... I expect a McDonagh/Rozsival situation to play out at some point.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
If it was me I would be letting Kravtsov marinate in the KHL. He has one year left on his deal, let him go fulfill his obligation to his team and get big minutes in a better league that the A. Then bring him straight to NY next year and let him waive to Hartford through his plane window on the way.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
If it was me I would be letting Kravtsov marinate in the KHL. He has one year left on his deal, let him go fulfill his obligation to his team and get big minutes in a better league that the A. Then bring him straight to NY next year and let him waive to Hartford through his plane window on the way.

Well that's the problem, there is no guarantee of that, it's much more likely he will play 12 minutes a game in the KHL. They are not concerned with a players development. They are playing the older players who have experience.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
3 of those guys are definitely expendable. If Hajek, or Lindgren, isn't on the team out of camp... I expect a McDonagh/Rozsival situation to play out at some point.
Yeah, but in the LHD just Smith, that is a problem. I doubt Quinn will have the guts to bench Staal.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

The problem is in Chelyabinsk there's no guarantee he gets big minutes. In Hartford, the Rangers can actually make big minutes happen (plus he gets acclimated to small ice).

I have no problem either way what the team does with him though, both options work.

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If everything goes according to the plan we won't have have a spot for Hajek this year. Staal, Skjei, Smith, Shattenkirk, Pionk and Deangelo have to really **** the bed to lose a spot.

Yup, all those guys obviously have experience. Skjei for sure, Staal isn't going anywhere and honestly is probably good as a mentor as long as his playing time is in a more limited or appropriate capacity. Pionk earned another look, Shattenkirk is going to produce like mad on the PP as always...I can see Smith and DeAngelo on the bubble though. Smith needs to prove last year was an aberration and he can come back, make a fresh start with a new coaching staff, and provide the kind of play the Rangers signed him for. DeAngelo is coming back from injury and while he has good upside, needs to start delivering on it. His spot could be in jeopardy if Hajek or someone really shines in camp.

With Kravstov playing in the NHL, I think if he shows he's close then sure, why not, I believe in guys earning a shot through their play in camp and preseason. But managing his icetime and making sure to give him chances to develop without dropping him in the deep end or getting him hurt, etc, will be key. A big bonus will be having Buchnevich and possibly Namestnikov to help him with the transition. A line of those players might actually be interesting at times...I don't think it's something that would last but still. Kravs is listed as RW and Buch as LW and Namestnikov occasionally played center ;)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, but in the LHD just Smith, that is a problem. I doubt Quinn will have the guts to bench Staal.
Why would he? Do we want no vets on defense to teach the kids? Staal was fine last season and can bring good leadership to them. We don't need 4 rookies playing on defense. It's great Hajek and Lindgren both have the confidence to want to jump right to the NHL but the reality is that is highly unlikely to happen and both would be far better suited playing a season in the AHL while players who already went that route (ADA and Poink) get their shot at the NHL who have earned it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I don't think Quinn gives a crap about what players did for a previous regimes. And it's not about benching. The McDonagh/Rozsival situation wasn't a case of a coaching benching a vet in favor of a kid. It was a case of the vet getting hurt, the kid coming in and excelling, and therefore making the vet expendable.

That could mean benching. It could mean a trade. In Staal's case, they'd have to retain half, but I could see it happening.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Why would he? Do we want no vets on defense to teach the kids? Staal was fine last season and can bring good leadership to them. We don't need 4 rookies playing on defense. It's great Hajek and Lindgren both have the confidence to want to jump right to the NHL but the reality is that is highly unlikely to happen and both would be far better suited playing a season in the AHL while players who already went that route (ADA and Poink) get their shot at the NHL who have earned it.
Staal is at best an average defender who is very difficult to trade, if one of our prospects outplay him in camp the chances are that said prospect will ride the bench anyway.
We have Shattenkirk and Skjei as veterans, that is good enough for me.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I don't think Quinn gives a crap about what players did for a previous regimes. And it's not about benching. The McDonagh/Rozsival situation wasn't a case of a coaching benching a vet in favor of a kid. It was a case of the vet getting hurt, the kid coming in and excelling, and therefore making the vet expendable.

That could mean benching. It could mean a trade. In Staal's case, they'd have to retain half, but I could see it happening.
It's easier to buyout Staal's contract than trade him, that NTC or NMC ( depending on which site you looked) really f***ed us.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Staal is at best an average defender who is very difficult to trade, if one of our prospects outplay him in camp the chances are that said prospect will ride the bench anyway.
We have Shattenkirk and Skjei as veterans, that is good enough for me.
I'd prefer to have 3 vets. Staal is average at this point...I have no problem him on the bottom pair mentoring one of the rooks. This isn't AV hockey anymore where he would be getting 22 minutes of ice time. From what I remember reading, the young players only had good things to say about Staal and how he has taken them under his wing. Learning from vets is a vital part of a players development IMO.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
i think everyone is overlooking camera perspective. Unless Filip has a giant head, he's much closer to the camera than the others which would make him look bigger. Even still, with Howden listed at 6'3" Chytil is still probably pushing 6'4" here. The picture does make him look like he's 6'6" :laugh:

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
i think everyone is overlooking camera perspective. Unless Filip has a giant head, he's much closer to the camera than the others which would make him look bigger. Even still, with Howden listed at 6'3" Chytil is still probably pushing 6'4" here. The picture does make him look like he's 6'6" :laugh:
In the pre draft show with our prospects you could see that Howden was taller than Chytil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad